Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AMBERSHADOW
    • By AMBERSHADOW 6th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 497Posts
    • 110Thanks
    AMBERSHADOW
    Parking
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    Parking 6th Oct 16 at 7:38 PM
    HI ALL

I wonder if someone can put me right please?

I and my neighbour has driveways and they park on the outside bit of their house everyday ...

Their driveway on their property which is council is full up with caravans and toot so they have to park on the drive outside the property.. sorry I can't remember the term its known as..

Anyway there are now 2 cars parked there and one is on the verge inline with the other so it looks like they have double drive when they only have one..

the grass is worn away and it looks awful.. anyway my point is the other car is a 4 x 4 and I am finding it very difficult to get out of my drive due to not being able to see whats coming..

How do I stand please?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 23,299 Posts
    • 9,188 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    Park on the road.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    Reverse onto your drive rather than onto the road.
    • AMBERSHADOW
    • By AMBERSHADOW 6th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    AMBERSHADOW
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    We have 3 cars on our drive and I have to drive on.. I thought there was some sort of law regards parking like that? especially as one space is not their driveway its the grass verge
    • AMBERSHADOW
    • By AMBERSHADOW 6th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    AMBERSHADOW
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    Park on the road.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

And why should I park on the road when I paid for a driveway to be put in to park on?
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 6th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:01 PM
    I thought there was some sort of law regards parking like that?
    Originally posted by AMBERSHADOW
    AFAIK there is no general law prohibiting it - but check with your council for local by-laws -especially as they own the verge.
    • AMBERSHADOW
    • By AMBERSHADOW 6th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    AMBERSHADOW
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    AFAIK there is no general law prohibiting it - but check with your council for local by-laws -especially as they own the verge.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    Thank you very much

I will do tomorrow
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 6th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    Do you drive in or reverse into your drive?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:44 PM
    Do you drive in or reverse into your drive?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Already asked and answered.

Reverse onto your drive rather than onto the road.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    We have 3 cars on our drive and I have to drive on..
    • patman99
    • By patman99 6th Oct 16, 10:43 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    patman99
    My local Council responded to such a problem by installing low fencing along the grass verges.
    Yours might do likewise if they decide to put in measures to prevent damage to their property.

Your neighbour would then have to park on the road and you will be back on here complaining about how that blocks your view.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £617.00 / £1000 (that's 61.7%)

3-6 month EF £194/£3600

Do you/your spouse earn less than £197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 6th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Strider590
    We have 3 cars on our drive and I have to drive on.. I thought there was some sort of law regards parking like that? especially as one space is not their driveway its the grass verge
    I highly doubt that, if you can drive on, you can far more easily reverse on.
    If you lack confidence in reversing, then I recommend a driving school.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 6th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    treboeth
    I highly doubt that, if you can drive on, you can far more easily reverse on.
    If you lack confidence in reversing, then I recommend a driving school.
    Originally posted by Strider590

I have a 1 car drive and prefer to drive on and reverse off, due to the slope on the drive and my car being quite low it scrapes if I reverse on
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 6th Oct 16, 11:54 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 5,765 Thanks
    Strider590
    I have a 1 car drive and prefer to drive on and reverse off, due to the slope on the drive and my car being quite low it scrapes if I reverse on
    Originally posted by treboeth
    If it scrapes one way, then it would have to scrape the other, as the angle of the incline/decline is the same regardless.

I have to admit, people reversing off driveways is a bit of a pet hate, i've had several near misses with them, 2 in just this past week. They get half way across the road before they can actually see what's coming, it's just so dangerous!
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 7th Oct 16, 12:05 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    treboeth
    If it scrapes one way, then it would have to scrape the other, as the angle of the incline/decline is the same regardless.

I have to admit, people reversing off driveways is a bit of a pet hate, i've had several near misses with them, 2 in just this past week. They get half way across the road before they can actually see what's coming, it's just so dangerous!

Strange I know my car and my drive and it scrapes driving off, but not reversing on

Reversing off is easy if you have the intelligence, something which a lot of drivers lack unfortunately
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Oct 16, 6:33 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    But they know that there is nothing coming, because they looked before they got into their car.
    You were obviously speeding to appear from nowhere like that
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 7th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    Strange I know my car and my drive and it scrapes driving off, but not reversing on

Reversing off is easy if you have the intelligence, something which a lot of drivers lack unfortunately
    Originally posted by treboeth

Reversing off of my drive is really easy. You just put the car in reverse and away you go. The problem is in getting out far enough to see in either direction due to vans parked either side obscuring the view in both directions until you are out past them while turning to avoid hitting the cars parked opposite. Driving out forwards can be challenging but reversing out is madness.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 7th Oct 16, 12:20 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

No it wouldn't. Depends on the overhang, ride height front and rear (or minimum clearance) and maximum approach angle of the vehicle itself. Unless the vehicle is perfectly symmetrical it could easily scrape in one direction and not the other.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 7th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    If it scrapes one way, then it would have to scrape the other, as the angle of the incline/decline is the same regardless...
    I disagree for the same reasons posted above.

I once had a neighbour with a steep drive with a hump at the top. He could only drive his car one way as it grounded the other way.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 07-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • bobshipman
    • By bobshipman 8th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bobshipman
    I've known the local council post letters reminding people not to park on verges, suppose it depends if your neighbour takes notice or not if the council went down that route.
    • Giddypip
    • By Giddypip 9th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Giddypip
    Check covenants. I have a covenant on my ex local authority house that says caravans cannot be parked on driveways.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter