Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chib
    • By chib 6th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 1,269Thanks
    chib
    Stolen phone, what do I do?
    • 6th Oct 16, 6:40 PM
    Stolen phone, what do I do? 6th Oct 16 at 6:40 PM
    Would be very grateful for some help with my situation at the moment, looks like I could lost a few hundred quid I can't really afford to lose.

Tuesday evening I listed my phone for sale on Amazon. It's boxed like new, I was including an extra case and listed it for the lowest price which was £350. Two hours later it sold, great.

Packaged it securely on Wednesday morning and posted to the buyer Special Delivery. I've still got the receipt for posting.

Today the buyer contacted me and said they received the package slightly opened, everything is there except the handset itself. Something that in 15+ years of selling online that has never happened to me.

I asked for photos which they sent, it simply shows an opened package.

I don't know what to do next? They contacted Amazon and said I was ignoring them which I wasn't and have email messages to confirm. they've confirmed the package was slightly open when they received it - should I claim via Royal Mail?

To do this I'll need the packaging etc back, surely Royal Mail will tell me to get stuffed as it's just an open parcel - Amazon will refund the guy and I'm left out of pocket. What if he doesn't return the packaging to me?

If I get the packaging back, add my wifes phone (Same model as the one I sold) onto it, should weigh exactly the same as the postage weight.

If it's any use it was an iPhone 6S and I have the serial number. It was factory reset before posting.

Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    Have a look on your receipt from the Post Office, it should have the actual weight on there when sent?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • chib
    • By chib 6th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    chib
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    It does yeah, 0.495 kg. So with the original packaging I can proove it was sent. I just don't know what should be done next - should I ask them to return all the packaging and I'll clam RM?

What is the likelyhood they'll pay out?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 6th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    My situation was different as it was eBay and a much smaller amount and due to the fact I had that weight detail and photos, eBay ended up covering it so there was no claim to make with RM. I expect someone will be along to advise in your case. In the mean time, wouldn't it be best to get the phone blocked as stolen immediately?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • chib
    • By chib 6th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    chib
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    I don't know how to do that, I thought it should be insured to be blocked?

I did an iCloud Lock check with the serial number and it shows the phone is ready to be activated - looks like it hasn't been used yet.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 7th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 7th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 7th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    Usually advise the buyer to report the theft of the phone to the police and provide you with the report number so you can refund them and then claim from Royal Mail.

I'd suggest it's a scam because if it was open before getting to the delivery office it should be put in one of those "sorry your mail was damaged bags" and as Royal Mail know which postman had the parcel for delivery they'd be pretty stupid to open it and steal the contents.

You can also mention contacting the depot (you not the buyer) so they can check with the postman regarding the parcels condition.

Unless you can convince the buyer to find the phone it's a case of report it as stolen so it's blocked, refund and try to claim from Royal Mail.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 8,693 Posts
    • 9,754 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 7th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 7th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    I would suggest sending another e-mail to your buyer and in that e-mail, inform them that you are shortly going to reporting the loss/theft of the phone to the police.
    Ask them if they would be able to advise you of the location of their nearest police station so that you can contact the police there in case they wish to speak to the postie who made the delivery.

It's unlikely, but after doing this, you may find that the phone suddenly gets found.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 57,702 Posts
    • 40,785 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 8th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    Usually advise the buyer to report the theft of the phone to the police and provide you with the report number so you can refund them and then claim from Royal Mail.

I'd suggest it's a scam because if it was open before getting to the delivery office it should be put in one of those "sorry your mail was damaged bags" and as Royal Mail know which postman had the parcel for delivery they'd be pretty stupid to open it and steal the contents.

You can also mention contacting the depot (you not the buyer) so they can check with the postman regarding the parcels condition.

Unless you can convince the buyer to find the phone it's a case of report it as stolen so it's blocked, refund and try to claim from Royal Mail.
    Originally posted by the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    I agree with you, For me the entire thing rests on the fact they haven't mentioned the clear bag that RM uses when an item is damaged in the post. That strongly suggests buyer might be trying it on, and I would agree with the other posts suggesting that you let the buyer know that this is going to become a legal issue and police will be involved. I would also be on the phone to Amazon explaining the issue and asking for help.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 8th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 2,278 Thanks
    helcat26
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 8th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    Hi
    You can lock it through icloud
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201472

should be able to locate it as well if you had the app activated
    • in_the_Cotswolds
    • By in_the_Cotswolds 9th Oct 16, 10:30 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    in_the_Cotswolds
    As a postman we have to sign for Special Delivery items if there was any discrepancy ie as a damaged wrapping I would not take it out until it has either been sealed as other posters have said or, I have informed my manager.

Royal Mail take theft, especially Special Delivery items very seriously. You could say something like "Sorry to hear about the phone going missing as it was sent via Special Delivery I have informed Royal Mail and they will inform their Revenue Protection team. There is a possibility they may want to interview you and see the damaged packaging."

Then see what reply you get.

• I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 10th Oct 16, 8:17 AM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    I have spoken
    I'll probably get abuse for saying this, but have a look at the buyers house on Google Streetview to gain an impression of their 'lifestyle'
    • boliston
    • By boliston 10th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    boliston
    I have sold a few phones on ebay and its almost always people with zero rating and newly joined who cause the most problems so I say in the listing to contact me if you have a rating below 10 or newly joined. Also I would never dream of sending to an unconfirmed paypal address!

I had one very shifty buyer who offered to sell the phone back to me for half what he had just paid to buy it off me!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 10th Oct 16, 8:34 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    I'll probably get abuse for saying this, but have a look at the buyers house on Google Streetview to gain an impression of their 'lifestyle'
    I did this once and the guy was outside his house on google maps swinging on the gate swigging lager from a can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,455Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter