Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 6th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    • 2,095Posts
    • 238Thanks
    britishboy
    0 WOW
    Thomson cant honour holiday, now refusing to refund
    • 6th Oct 16, 5:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Thomson cant honour holiday, now refusing to refund 6th Oct 16 at 5:11 PM
    We've booked 2 weeks in Greece next summer, same hotel and time of year we do every year for the last 4 years, and always booked with Thomson. Have already paid a £400 deposit for next summer. Since then was told by the hotel manager (who we know well) that Thomson didn't renew contract with them, as they couldn't agree on terms etc. I emailed Thomson straight away and got a reply saying it would honour holidays already booked, but could not book any more holidays at this particular hotel. So i was happy.

Now, 6 weeks later had an email confirming from Thomson a different hotel, in a different resort on the same island, not what we want. I emailed Thomson straight away and have been told, basically tough have the new hotel or lose your deposit of £400, and was told its in their term and conditions.

Surely they have to refund my deposit if they cant honour the holiday I booked? Please advise as need the deposit back to book with Thomas Cook, who are now offering holidays to the hotel we want...
Page 2
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Westin
    Thomson Holidays and Thomson for flight only are two separate trading divisions.

Assuming TOM sell flight only on this required route, it will be simpler to obtain a FOC cancellation, return of deposit and then rebook as a flight only.

There is no need to 'compromise'.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Oct 16, 2:36 PM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Caz3121
    emailed Thomson straight away and have been told, basically tough have the new hotel or lose your deposit of £400, and was told its in their term and conditions.
    Originally posted by britishboy
    it will be simpler to obtain a FOC cancellation, return of deposit and then rebook as a flight only.
    Originally posted by Westin
    OP has not been offered a FOC cancellation....which is the issue
    • RHemmings
    • By RHemmings 8th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 1,926 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    RHemmings
    OP has not been offered a FOC cancellation....which is the issue
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Which (link in previous post) say:

If your package holiday is cancelled or any part, such as the hotel, is changed significantly before you leave, you have the right to:
    • a refund, with no cancellation fee
    • accept an inferior quality substitute and get a refund for the price difference
    • accept an equivalent or superior holiday without having to pay more.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Oct 16, 4:25 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Westin
    I know caz31321 but I strongly believe that Thomson will give this once the OP speaks to them.

The alternative is clearly unacceptable being a change of resort. Furthermore Thomson would not wish this to be taken down a legal route given that they sold a hotel to the OP when no contract with the hotel was in place.

I feel the OP speaking to Thomson Customer Services, politely but firmly rejecting the offer of the alternative and asking for a FOC cancellation, will be accepted by the Operator.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 6,522 Thanks
    Caz3121
    completely agree, you would have expected this to have been the an from the start instead of being told they would lose deposit
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 11th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    britishboy
    Hi everyone
    Just a quick update, after sending another email I was contacted straight away by a lovely lady from a different department who apologised and issued me the full deposit refund of £400, so all sorted now (and booked up with the hotel direct already)
    Thanks all for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,985Posts Today

7,075Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin