Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Davvex
    • By Davvex 6th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Davvex
    Paid too much on unmetered property
    • 6th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    Paid too much on unmetered property 6th Oct 16 at 3:27 PM
    Hello everyone.

I recently discovered my partner had paid off an £800 water bill debt from our previous property. After looking into why our debt was so large, it turns out that our unmetered bill was £41 a month. Considering it was a small 2 bed flat that was way too high given our consumption. For comparison at our current address, we use £17 a month according to the meter.

I know it's unlikely but is there any chance we can be reimbursed for all or part of the debt we've paid off? We did request to be put on a meter at our previous address but for a reason I can't remember, either Southern Water or the Council said they couldn't.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 26,079 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 6th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    Welcome to the forum.

As you have surmised you have no grounds for re-imbursement as you paid the correct charges for your property.

If you requested a meter after April 1990 it would have been to the water company. As a meter could not be fitted(often the case with flats) Southern Water would(should!) have offered you the option of electing for an assessed tariff which would have been cheaper than the charges based on a Rateable Value. For 2016/17 the charges for a two bed property are £399 or £422 a year.

https://www.southernwater.co.uk/our-charges

If you can prove that you were not offered the option of an assessed charge, you might have some grounds for compensation.
    • Davvex
    • By Davvex 11th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Davvex
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    OK thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin