Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wanderlust23
    • By wanderlust23 6th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 599Thanks
    wanderlust23
    Hogging right lane
    • 6th Oct 16, 1:15 PM
    Hogging right lane 6th Oct 16 at 1:15 PM
    Hi all,

I've only been driving a couple of weeks and would like some clarification. Yesterday, when travelling to work I moved into the right hand lane on a dual carriageway as I needed to take the next right. I was doing the maximum speed limit for the road and couldn't have been in the right lane for more than 10 seconds before another driver was tailgating me and flashing his headlights trying to get me to move back over. I was speaking to some friends after who said it was probably because I was "hogging" the right lane.

If I'm doing the maximum speed limit for that road and I plan on taking the next right I fail to see what the issue is? There are also speed cameras along that very road and yet people seem to not be bothered. Personally, I don't want a fine and points on my license when I've only been driving for a matter of weeks!
    Last edited by wanderlust23; 06-10-2016 at 3:20 PM.
Page 5
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 1,146 Thanks
    facade
    errr of course the oncoming driver is not thinking the same about you.........
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Of course they aren't, they are doing this to annoy me

The obstruction is on my side, if we collide head on it is mostly my fault, there is no Earthly reason for them to do anything except carry on.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 7th Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    I see the nonsense about me "policing" the roads has been mentioned yet again...
    Originally posted by wanderlust23
    You may not think that is what you were doing but your posts have given that impression to me and also to others.

Many posters on here think that you were probably 'hogging' the overtaking lane. Even your friends think that as you yourself wrote in your OP.

See this as a learning experience.
    When I was growing up plastic surgery was a bit of a taboo subject. These days if you mention botox no one raises an eyebrow.
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 8th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 12,369 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    I drive every day on a 40mph two-lane road and when I was a newly qualified driver, the tailgaters used to terrify me!

Now that I'm more experienced and I know the road well, I know when to move into the right-hand lane and when to move over, this stuff just comes with practice. You're not in the wrong legally but we all know that most people drive too fast (myself included) and that being stuck behind someone doggedly sticking to the speed limit can be very frustrating, you will find this yourself sooner or later I promise you!

I don't tailgate people, nor do I flash lights or beep my horn if I'm stuck behind someone. I realise that some folk just don't have the skill or the confidence to drive more quickly, it's part and parcel of driving in the cities.

I do beep at the tw@ts who sit in traffic, looking at their bloody phones and holding up the queue though!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    esuhl
    Just use the word "They".
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Really? It's very simple. Using the original comment as an example with varied construction:
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    You said, "... in a properly constructed sentence". The word "they" is not grammatically correct in the context of a single noun.
    • bobshipman
    • By bobshipman 8th Oct 16, 1:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bobshipman
    Yes, maximum speed limit for some does not equal maximum speed for others. Unfortunately not all drivers come to follow the highway code to the letter as you will observe with as your time on the road continues.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 8th Oct 16, 2:04 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Nick_C
    OP - you started this thread by asking for advice, but when you don't like the advice you keep saying "I disagree". So it seems you are not after advice but sympathy, and I think you are looking in the wrong place for that.

As you lack experience and seem to have been upset by this incident, I would suggest buying some P plates - they just might get you a little more consideration from people who assume you are an idiot instead of assuming you are a new driver.
    • wanderlust23
    • By wanderlust23 8th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    wanderlust23
    OP - you started this thread by asking for advice, but when you don't like the advice you keep saying "I disagree". So it seems you are not after advice but sympathy, and I think you are looking in the wrong place for that.

As you lack experience and seem to have been upset by this incident, I would suggest buying some P plates - they just might get you a little more consideration from people who assume you are an idiot instead of assuming you are a new driver.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    I was more looking for opinions rather than advice. I believe I'm allowed to disagree with another persons opinion? I've read everything everyone has said and taken the other points of view on board (even the ones I disagree with). I accept not everyone will see the situation how I did.

P.S. I'm not upset by the "incident" just curious as to others thoughts on it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    neilmcl
    You said, "... in a properly constructed sentence". The word "they" is not grammatically correct in the context of a single noun.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary the use of "they" as a gender neutral pronoun is perfectly and grammatically acceptable.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 8th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I disagree; as does, as mentioned above, the OED. Also, bearing in mind English is a constantly evolving language, many years' use of 'they' as a gender-neutral alternative to singular 'he' or 'she' has made its usage more commonly acceptable than the otherwise potentially sexist alternatives; and considered in the context of linguistic evolution, that makes its usage correct.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    esuhl
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary the use of "they" as a gender neutral pronoun is perfectly and grammatically acceptable.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I disagree; as does, as mentioned above, the OED. Also, bearing in mind English is a constantly evolving language, many years' use of 'they' as a gender-neutral alternative to singular 'he' or 'she' has made its usage more commonly acceptable than the otherwise potentially sexist alternatives; and considered in the context of linguistic evolution, that makes its usage correct.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    At best, that's highly debatable; at worst, it's incorrect.

It really depends upon how rigidly you want to adhere to the rules of grammar. The reference was to a "properly constructed sentence", which indicates a high standard of grammar.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 9th Oct 16, 9:21 AM
    • 597 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I was more looking for opinions rather than advice. I believe I'm allowed to disagree with another persons opinion? I've read everything everyone has said and taken the other points of view on board (even the ones I disagree with). I accept not everyone will see the situation how I did.

P.S. I'm not upset by the "incident" just curious as to others thoughts on it.
    You do realise that having just passed your test, you are only just now starting to learn to drive?

Arrogance leads to accidents - you seem to think there is no way you could have been wrong, and as a new driver think you don't need advice.

Experience is the best teacher, and at the moment you are just a novice. Time you started to think like one and listen to advice.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 9th Oct 16, 9:29 AM
    • 3,463 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    At best, that's highly debatable; at worst, it's incorrect.

It really depends upon how rigidly you want to adhere to the rules of grammar. The reference was to a "properly constructed sentence", which indicates a high standard of grammar.
    I prefer to trust the OED and my training than an opinion which contradicts them.

Yes, 50 years ago he/she would be considered the only grammatically correct option, but as I said, language evolves and in this case has evolved, and common usage has superseded traditional teaching.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 9th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    fred246
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong. This is just a matter of confidence. I can drive all day long with someone flashing their lights behind. It's not my problem. I have the confidence to know that. A new driver may have to learn that skill.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 9th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 6,959 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    Biggles
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong. This is just a matter of confidence. I can drive all day long with someone flashing their lights behind. It's not my problem.
    Originally posted by fred246
    You've never wondered why they do that?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    Car 54
    The OP did absolutely nothing wrong.
    Originally posted by fred246
    How do you know?

If he moved over 50 yards before the junction, then he did nothing wrong: if it was 5 miles then he certainly did.

He hasn't told us how far, except to say it wasn't too early, but by his own admission he doesn't have the experience to judge that.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 9th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,282 Thanks
    boliston
    How do you know?

If he moved over 50 yards before the junction, then he did nothing wrong: if it was 5 miles then he certainly did.

He hasn't told us how far, except to say it wasn't too early, but by his own admission he doesn't have the experience to judge that.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    So if inexperienced better to err on the side of caution and move over early than cut over far too late and possibly cause a pile up.
    • wanderlust23
    • By wanderlust23 9th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    wanderlust23
    You do realise that having just passed your test, you are only just now starting to learn to drive?

Arrogance leads to accidents - you seem to think there is no way you could have been wrong, and as a new driver think you don't need advice.

Experience is the best teacher, and at the moment you are just a novice. Time you started to think like one and listen to advice.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    I think impatience is more likely to lead to accidents by such things as tailgating or blinding other drivers by flashing the headlights. Just an example....
    • ManuelG
    • By ManuelG 9th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    ManuelG
    Cracking thread
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 9th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 2,970 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    I think impatience is more likely to lead to accidents by such things as tailgating or blinding other drivers by flashing the headlights. Just an example....
    I would think that keeping out of their way would lead to less accidents - don't you?

I do hope you've learned something from the 100 posts here.

But I fear with your attitude of "I'm doing the speed limit no-one should be passing me." and getting into the right lane early and then without an early signal to show you intend turning at the next junction, that you are going to do the same thing again.

Unless you start thinking that you could perhaps have made a better job of this you are going to get flashed a lot.

It doesn't matter if you are right - best to avoid annoying people even if they are wrong.
    • ManuelG
    • By ManuelG 9th Oct 16, 1:30 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    ManuelG
    It doesn't matter if you are right - best to avoid annoying people even if they are wrong.
    Originally posted by Iceweasel
    As an aside, this reminds me of my Uncle, who decided a double decker bus was following him too closely behind.

When he braked sharply to point this out to the bus driver, he was proved right...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter