Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PinkJet
    • By PinkJet 6th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    PinkJet
    Investing in student accomodation?
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    Investing in student accomodation? 6th Oct 16 at 10:48 AM
    We are a couple with 2 young people in our family away at uni in their first year.

We already own 3 rental properties between us, so are not naive about BTL and the pitfalls. However, we currently rent properties in our town on AST's, so are close to hand and have long term, generally quite well behaved tenants.

One of our kids is studying at the university of Nottingham and we have noticed that property prices are low in that area and wondered if it might be worth considering investing in a student flat / house in that area. I am aware that we would need to do plenty of research to find out which areas are "less desirable" than others, as currently we have no idea.

Has anybody else done this and can advise on pitfalls and benefits of doing so? We are around 3.5 hours drive away from the university.
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 6th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    anselld
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    Student rentals need more management than most. I would personally not consider from that distance.
    • PinkJet
    • By PinkJet 6th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PinkJet
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    I must admit, I think we would need a managing agent to help us and having had experience of local agents, this doesn't fill me with joy. We now manage our own properties.

However, as my son would be living in the accommodation, he could do some of the managing, although I'm not sure that's entirely a good idea either as it puts a certain amount of responsibility on him.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 6th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 4,322 Thanks
    anselld
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    However, as my son would be living in the accommodation, he could do some of the managing, although I'm not sure that's entirely a good idea either as it puts a certain amount of responsibility on him.
    Originally posted by PinkJet
    That is true. Many BTL lenders are also funny about rental to family members or even allowing them to occupy.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 6th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 12,042 Posts
    • 11,454 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    Student rentals are really no different except there's HMO regulations (and registration?) and it's empty for 15% of the year.

Typically it needs to be furnished and the students union may have a list of approved landlords, but with T&Cs
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 6th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 34,073 Posts
    • 142,453 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    If you are keen on this you should look into the advantages in your offspring buying the property and renting out the spare rooms. That way the tax savings mount up. Google rent a room scheme (£7500 tax free). No CGT on sale.

For student lets it is very important to buy in the right area, a difference of one or two streets can mean the difference between having tenants and not. Nothing worse than a student rental property empty in October and knowing the next batch of students won't be arriving for months.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 6th Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    dlmcr
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    I actually live in Nottingham and can say that the provision of student accommodation market is absolutely saturated. If you want evidence of that go around the town and look at all the massive numbers of student flats newly built in the last 8 years and that is on top of traditional strudent housing in traditional areas.
    The demographics of student populations especially for the University of Nottingham (the posh one) has been moving towards more Asian students and they prefer and have the money for "self contained" purpose built apartments rather than rooms in shared houses. A lot of landlords such traditional house share setups in traditional student areas such as Lenton have been selling up due to underutilisation of their properties and I understand that in certain parts of town no new licences (sorry I don't know the actual term for this) for student accommodation will be provided by the council.
    • PinkJet
    • By PinkJet 10th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PinkJet
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    Having looked at this, I wonder if it's worth investing in one of the self contained student flats mentioned by dlmcr for DS to live in. Student rental accomodation is around 5k per year and we have agreed to fund the kids accommodation. If we invested in one of those self contained flats (if it's suitable for DS) then assuming we could sell it at the end of their uni education, it could be a good option? Just depends if the market is saturated, we could end up with a flat that we can't sell or rent to anyone else at the end.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 34,073 Posts
    • 142,453 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:55 AM
    Having looked at this, I wonder if it's worth investing in one of the self contained student flats mentioned by dlmcr for DS to live in. Student rental accomodation is around 5k per year and we have agreed to fund the kids accommodation. If we invested in one of those self contained flats (if it's suitable for DS) then assuming we could sell it at the end of their uni education, it could be a good option? Just depends if the market is saturated, we could end up with a flat that we can't sell or rent to anyone else at the end.
    Originally posted by PinkJet
    Most students want to live with others rather than on their own. I know I'm stereotyping, but UK students tend to want the whole experience of student life, including the social aspects. Foreign students are more likely to want (and afford) self contained units because they are prioritise their studying over everything else and tend to be less social.

Ask your offspring if they would want to commit to a self contained flat for 3 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter