Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helsbells16
    • By Helsbells16 5th Oct 16, 11:47 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Helsbells16
    Critical illness insurance - advice needed
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:47 PM
    Critical illness insurance - advice needed 5th Oct 16 at 11:47 PM
    Hi I was wondering if anybody could provide me with some advice please.
    I have been working in my current role for the last year following a short 6 month employment break after the birth of my daughter. ( I rejoined the same company).
    I opted for critical illness insurance to be deducted from my salary as I always have done, no medical was requested.
    At the same time of me starting work, I suffered what I believed was an eye injury of some sort, as I was new in the role I did not take any time off sick for this, and I had some tests done out of work hours.
    It was at the end of October last year a neurologist told me that I had suffered a condition called optic neuritis and further tests would be required in 6 months to see if any n further activity. I was told at this point it could be an isolated incident.
    I felt fine suffered no further issues however in March 16 a neurologist told me that the scans I had showed some further abnormalities and I therefore fit the criteria for MS.
    In June and September 16 I suffered further relapses and was given a definite diagnosis of MS.
    I have contacted insurance companies to advise of my condition and been given a claim form for my critical illness cover.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and if they is think I do fit the eligible criteria for the claim.
    I am concerned that as my undiagnosed first episode occurred as I rejoined the business the insurer will not allow the claim.
    Thanks in advance for any help anybody can give.
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 6th Oct 16, 6:36 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 6th Oct 16, 6:36 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 6:36 AM
    All you can do is apply to the insurer, be truthful, and see if they cover it.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 10th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    not paid critical illness for stroke 7 years ago
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    Hi anyone help with this

7 years ago i had a subarachniod hemorrhage they put 6 coils in my brain to stop the bleed and this is called coiling cerebral aneurysm
    i had this cover but was told my my local bank and natwest life that i was not covered
    aviva have now taken over natwest and last week i was updating things when i came across my policy and it says stroke was covered also i had aletter from aviva saying there would be no changes to my policy when they took over and on looking on there policy its says the bleed i had is covered and at the end of the day its a stroke the consultant i still see says it is!
    i have spoken to aviva and they are looking into it and say it will be back dated to 2009 but since then i have paid my mortgage and the policy which i did not have too because i would of paid my mortgage offand because i had to come out of work be had to go into an IVA and its been hell i have 4 children and we have had hell for 7 years the ombudsman have said if it came to them and i won they would have to pay 8% per year and put everything right for me what sort of compensation should i expect if they want to sort it out with out going to the ombudsman any one help me
    thanks
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 85,141 Posts
    • 50,152 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    the ombudsman have said if it came to them and i won they would have to pay 8% per year and put everything right for me what sort of compensation should i expect if they want to sort it out with out going to the ombudsman any one help me
    It is not an easy win on a complaint as there would need to be a record that you spoke to Natwest.

However, Aviva may well add interest at base rate or thereabouts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 10th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    thanks. yes i have letters to show they new my situation but said i was not covered
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 10th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    Did you actually try to claim (in the proper sense of the word) on the policy and the letters you have are declining the claim? - if so they should give an explanation as to why the claim was declined/ you were not covered

Or do you mean you have letters that show the bank knew you were poorly but you were only told verbally that you were not covered.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 10th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    No we didn't put a claim in but the local branch new i had the stroke and the letters i have say they were sorry for my situation. But didn't actually put a claim form in.
    we trusted them and would the letters be enough to back that up i hope so
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 85,141 Posts
    • 50,152 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    No we didn't put a claim in but the local branch new i had the stroke and the letters i have say they were sorry for my situation. But didn't actually put a claim form in.
    The branch would not know what insurance policies you have. It is one of the (number of) disadvantages of buying insurance from a bank. It is very much transnational as their systems wouldnt show what insurances you hold. They couldnt put a claim in on your behalf anyway.

Banking and insurance/investments/pensions are separate things. The claim should have been made directly to the insurer. For a complaint on that basis to succeed, you are going to need a very generous complaints handler.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 11:43 PM
    The letters I have are from NatWest life insurance and they new about the stroke
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Oct 16, 12:39 AM
    • 85,141 Posts
    • 50,152 Thanks
    dunstonh
    The letters I have are from NatWest life insurance and they new about the stroke
    Originally posted by walkermilesuk
    In which case, that makes it very strong in your favour.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 11th Oct 16, 1:13 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    thanks

any ideas of what they should pay compensation they should pay me ombudsman said its 8% per year and the 7 years of hell trying to pay bills etc etc and its put be in an IVA all because they didn't pay me I have paid 35000 to my mortgage that I would of not have to pay and many other things ???
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 11th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    In the correspondence from Nat West Life is there evidence that they knew you had a stroke?

What evidence do you have that you were told you were not covered and how this came up?
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 11th Oct 16, 6:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    In the september we got a letter of the bank saying we hand not paid the D/D next day i rang them and they said they will take it again so they said we need to reset up the D/D which we did and received the letter saying it was set up but someone at the banks end didn't do it so when the natwest life canceled are policy and in the October i had the stoke so my wife rang them a told them we wanted to make a claim because i had a stoke then my wife got a call back to say we had no cover so we put in a complaint to natwest life and in the end they agreed it was there error not taking the money and said we were not covered for stroke anyway and paid us £50 compensation and also when we looked into it they had changed the day of the D/D with out telling us it was normally on 18th of each month but they tried to take it on 27th thats when all are other bills come out so there was not enough money to cover it. they said we where still covered but not for the bleed on the brain anyway so we trusted what was said to us my the lady who sold us the cover at the local branch we spoke to her as well. now really shouldn't they have a duty of care and a moral duty to then tell us to make a claim ? we trusted what was said to us. also at the time i was still very poorly and my wife was all over the place we have 4 children so it was mad as hell
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 11th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    It all sounds a bit of a mess, to clarify - after the bounced DD episode and the policy being cancelled was it actually reinstated ie did you make up the missed premiums, your first post indicates it was re-instated? Was the policy cancelled before you had the stroke or after you had the stroke. The situation certainly seems a lot more complicated than your first post suggests. I can only respectfully suggest that when you write your formal complaint you get someone you trust to tell you things straight, to sense check your complaint as your "stream of consciousness" style can be difficult to follow in terms of what happened when.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 11th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    Yes premiums were paid in full and the policy re-instated we didn't put the claim in because the lady at the branch and natwest life said we was not covered for this anyway like i said we trusted what we was told when i spoke to aviva the claims handler who it dealing with it said she can see on the paper work that it was an error from natwest and was shocked we were told we couldn't make a claim she said the mix up with the D/D etc will not be a issue because the policy did not finish and start again yes its a mess but they changed the date of the D/D didn't tell us so that is why the D/D was not paid and i have the letter from the bank saying i had reset up the D/D but for some reason it didn't get taken
    • Helsbells16
    • By Helsbells16 11th Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Helsbells16
    Have you made a complaint to the financial ombudsman? i would if getting nowhere with the insurance company.
    • walkermilesuk
    • By walkermilesuk 11th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    walkermilesuk
    I have spoken to them I have put claim in with Aviva and a complaint.
    The ombudsman will not get involved until Aviva come back to me. Also I have put a complain into NatWest
    I am sure if the ombudsman looked at it would find in are favour. The policy was re-instated by NatWest and me not having the money in the account to pay it again was there mistake and like i say have letters to show.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter