Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 5th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 528Posts
    • 545Thanks
    General Grant
    Vent: Royal Mail "returned to sender"
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    Vent: Royal Mail "returned to sender" 5th Oct 16 at 9:16 PM
    I have today received an envelope from Royal Mail returning a letter I had sent to the last known address of someone I had not contacted for some time. On the back of the Royal Mail envelope it say

"When posting, always remember to:
    . Write a full return address on the reverse of the envelope"

I had done that so why did they feel the need to open my envelope and address their envelope to me with just my first name (because that is what I had used when signing the letter) when I had provided my first and surname on the back of the envelope along with the address?

They also put a sticker on saying "addressee gone away" whereas the person putting it back in the post had simply written "Return to Sender". Does Royal Mail know something in addition to what has been written on the envelope by the person receiving it?

I'll try ringing the 0845 number to complain.
Page 2
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 11th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 17,234 Thanks
    mije1983
    Actually, the fault is entirely that of the recipient who moved house without telling everyone or putting a redirection in place. That's quite a common failing. No fault to the person sending a letter because the default must be to use the last known address if they've not been told any different.

If the recipient has suffered any loss of privacy or there's any security concern it is entirely of their own making. The sender has done nothing wrong - they put a return address on it so that it wouldn't be opened to find the sender's details and would be returned if not delivered. Royal Mail are wrong in opening a letter that had a return address on it.

So, in reality, the sender is the innocent party. Both the intended recipient and Royal Mail are to blame for any consequences.
    Originally posted by Pennywise

I'm sorry but that is nonsense!

Basically what you are saying is that when you move you should set up a lifetime redirection service, and tell everyone you have ever known your new address, even if you haven't spoken to them for a good length of time? Just on the off chance at some point one of them may send you a letter?

And maybe the recipient just didn't like the OP so had no intention of giving them their new address!

Anyway back on topic, OP have you tried looking them up online to see if you can find a new address for them? Obviously if they have a fairly common name that might be more difficult.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,281Posts Today

7,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin