Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 5th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 212Posts
    • 132Thanks
    JenniferK
    Halifax ISA Share Account
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    Halifax ISA Share Account 5th Oct 16 at 9:07 PM
    Any good? Views welcome.
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 5th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 5,107 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    Compared to what?

Seems fine to me.

I don't use them.
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 5th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    JenniferK
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:26 PM
    Compared to what?

Seems fine to me.

I don't use them.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Compared to other platforms. If you don't use them how can you comment?
    • oldfella
    • By oldfella 6th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    oldfella
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    does what I want, the website is limited compared to others.
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 6th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 955 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:39 AM
    Views welcome.
    Originally posted by JenniferK
    Nice logo :-)
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 6th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 5,107 Posts
    • 9,038 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    Compared to other platforms. If you don't use them how can you comment?
    I can comment because they have a decent reputation among their customers who post here and their pricing for certain types of holding is OK. I gave you a well-considered response based on what you told us about your personal circumstances (zero). They will be relatively expensive for some portfolios and relatively cheap for others. On average they have enough customers sticking with them to not go out of business, and there are not huge numbers of complaint threads about them here.

What are you investing in - UK shares, international shares, bonds, warrants, ETFs, ITs, Oeics and UTs? Do you also have SIPP and unwrapped accounts with this provider or any other provider? Will you be investing in, or receiving income from, anything priced in a foreign currency? Do you have family members whose portfolios you would be like to be able to monitor or manage through the same login? How much are you investing and will this change over time? How frequently will you make a sale or purchase transaction? Do you expect to invest in assets with high levels of corporate actions or frequent dividend payments? Do you want to turn up and vote at shareholder meetings or get shareholder perks? Will you participate in many IPOs? How rapidly do you need them to be able to make income or investment disposal proceeds available to you in your bank account, and would you want to do this frequently? Do you want the ability to be able to transfer your ISA assets in specie to another provider with low or zero transfer costs when you close your account?

I guess if I don't use them I'm not qualified to use my knowledge of the industry and their rivals to comment on the relative merits of their offering for your circumstances in any of those categories. It's probably my fault rather than yours that I couldn't give you a fuller answer to your original question. I'm sure you'll have fun with the rest of your platform selection due diligence process.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 06-10-2016 at 1:02 PM.
    • JenniferK
    • By JenniferK 6th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    JenniferK
    • 6th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    I can comment because they have a decent reputation among their customers who post here and their pricing for certain types of holding is OK. I gave you a well-considered response based on what you told us about your personal circumstances (zero). They will be relatively expensive for some portfolios and relatively cheap for others. On average they have enough customers sticking with them to not go out of business, and there are not huge numbers of complaint threads about them here.

What are you investing in - UK shares, international shares, bonds, warrants, ETFs, ITs, Oeics and UTs? Do you also have SIPP and unwrapped accounts with this provider or any other provider? Will you be investing in, or receiving income from, anything priced in a foreign currency? Do you have family members whose portfolios you would be like to be able to monitor or manage through the same login? How much are you investing and will this change over time? How frequently will you make a sale or purchase transaction? Do you expect to invest in assets with high levels of corporate actions or frequent dividend payments? Do you want to turn up and vote at shareholder meetings or get shareholder perks? Will you participate in many IPOs? How rapidly do you need them to be able to make income or investment disposal proceeds available to you in your bank account, and would you want to do this frequently? Do you want the ability to be able to transfer your ISA assets in specie to another provider with low or zero transfer costs when you close your account?

I guess if I don't use them I'm not qualified to use my knowledge of the industry and their rivals to comment on the relative merits of their offering for your circumstances in any of those categories. It's probably my fault rather than yours that I couldn't give you a fuller answer to your original question. I'm sure you'll have fun with the rest of your platform selection due diligence process.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99

Thank you for your considered reply. However, what I'm really after is the experiences of people that have an account with them. For instance, how efficient are their customer services, do they credit fund dividends on time, etc.

As for my own circumstances, I currently have large holdings with AJ Bell. Given that AJ Bell have just uncapped their charges Halifax's £12.50 per year charge looks appealing.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 7,814 Posts
    • 4,761 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    I've used them for is a and unwrapped, very basic but efficient, all seems to run smoothly and when I've contacted them they are helpful and responsive.

I've not done anything too complicated, transferred some cash isas in which were done quickly and efficiently.

It'll be interesting to see if they look to raise charges as they are now cheap for buy and hold compared to most competitors.
    • Chris75
    • By Chris75 7th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Chris75
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 7th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    I have exactly the same problem.

I am interested in Halifax although I have read that they have a relatively restricted range of available funds.

I have not yet had a good look at what that means in the real world although they did not appear to have access to the first fund that I searched for! Royal London Short Duration Global High Yield.
    Last edited by Chris75; 07-10-2016 at 8:22 AM.
    • oldfella
    • By oldfella 7th Oct 16, 8:07 AM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    oldfella

I am interested in Halifax although I have read that they have a relatively restricted range of available funds.

I have not yet found the list of which funds they do have access to.
    Originally posted by Chris75
    its under Research then Funds
    • coyrls
    • By coyrls 7th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    coyrls

I have not yet had a good look at what that means in the real world although they did not appear to have access to the first fund that I searched for! Royal London Short Duration Global High Yield.
    Originally posted by Chris75
    The “research funds” is, for some reason, incomplete. I have transferred my ISA from AJ Bell and before doing it, rang them to check the availability of the funds I wanted to transfer. All the ones missing from “research funds” were confirmed as available. Once you set up an account and go to the trading option, you can search what turns out to be a much more extensive list of funds than is listed under “research funds”. However I have checked on the trading screen and you’re right, Royal London Short Duration Global High Yield is not available.

I initiated my ISA transfer on 19 August and it completed a couple of days ago. I transferred 10 funds. Not too bad. The Website is a bit clunky. I haven’t made any transactions yet.
    • green_man
    • By green_man 9th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    green_man
    I've been with Halifax for a long time and I think they are best if you have quite high value holdings but do not trade regularly. His is because they charge you for buying/selling even funds (where other don't) but don't charge you based on the value of holdings.

I have always been able to get through to customer services when I have needed to (maybe only 10 times in as many years). No issues with dividend payment, it does sometimes take a day or two but I've never had one just not appear at all.

They have a wide range of funds but not quite as many as some platforms, Royal London is one supplier they seem weak on.

If you have a specific fund you are after then check before you apply, but I have stuck with them for over 10 years as they are the cheap for my type of holdings and have no complaints.
    • mgarl10024
    • By mgarl10024 9th Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    mgarl10024
    Any good? Views welcome.
    I have used them for about 6mths, but don't trade often. The switch to them went well, and whilst their offering appears basic I've had no issues.

Only minor gripe was that the transaction fees must be paid from the account which takes away a bit of your ISA allowance.
    For example, if you put in the max of £15240, then you could only invest £15,222.5 because the £12.50 would be taken for the fee. I would much rather the £15240 was invested and I paid the £12.50 outside of the wrapper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

2,186Users online

Martin's Twitter