Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leticiaworrell
    • By leticiaworrell 5th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leticiaworrell
    Kitchen Sink, which one
    • 5th Oct 16, 7:34 PM
    Kitchen Sink, which one 5th Oct 16 at 7:34 PM
    Hi may i know, which kitchen sink is good one. what kind of stainless steel need to select. either 304 or other model? and what brand is reasonable. anyone heard about Pyramis, heard it from Greece. Teka from germany. Rubine from china, how about Sorento?from china also? what is the minimum thickness that we need to consider?
Page 1
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 5th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    Stick to Blanco, Franke or Reginox. You wont go wrong.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • CKdesigner
    • By CKdesigner 5th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 616 Thanks
    CKdesigner
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    We only do Blanco. They have ranges to suit low, middle and high end.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 5th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    Stick to Blanco, Franke or Reginox. You wont go wrong.
    Originally posted by ryder72
    I did. The Blanco sink I bought is shallower than my Franke Ascona.

Although the dimensions are not hugely different, the experience of using them is. I only get wet with the Blanco.

It's going on the Bay...
    'Only the mediocre are always at their best.' Jean Giraudoux
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 6th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    splashback from the sink is usually down to not having a suitable tap. Mostly taps without flow restrictors and suitable aerators.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Oct 16, 7:33 AM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:33 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:33 AM
    splashback from the sink is usually down to not having a suitable tap. Mostly taps without flow restrictors and suitable aerators.
    Understood, although in this instance the two came together as a package and it's not the tap I have a problem with; I'd keep that.

The sink is just too shallow to fit a standard sized bowl in it comfortably, whereas in the Franke, it goes in fine.

I realise this is probably an unusual situation, as I've had a few sinks in my time and never experienced this before. Perhaps it's a way to get a marginally larger cupboard space?

I just made the obviously wrong assumption that all 1.5 bowl sinks were pretty similar, size-wise, and the kitchen co were no help whatever in choosing.

Anyway, it's a £600 mistake, worth flagging-up.
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 6th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 6th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 12:36 PM
    Davesnave - I am surprised you say that because 80-90% of both Blanco and Franke sinks are about the same depth ~175-180mm. They do a few deeper ones. So unless you arent comparing a like for like sink, they should be within a few mm of each other.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 6th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    I was going to have a stainless steel sink for my new kitchen , after having a moulded one, but the kitchen centre man suggested fragranite, as it doesn't scratch like metal does. (he wasn't after a sale, as he knew my husband can get sinks cheaply from his employer.)
    • ryder72
    • By ryder72 6th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    ryder72
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    Fragranite will scratch. Try it. And its not repairable. (You shouldnt use bleach on it either). A steel sink scratch can be polished out and you can use bleach on it.

Dont believe anyone that tells you composite sinks are the perfect solution. They all have their weaknesses.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 20,797 Posts
    • 83,703 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Davesnave - I am surprised you say that because 80-90% of both Blanco and Franke sinks are about the same depth ~175-180mm. They do a few deeper ones. So unless you arent comparing a like for like sink, they should be within a few mm of each other.
    Sorry, it's taken me some time to reply, but the measurements are as follows:

Franke: 435x350x185mm (last measure depth of main bowl to lip of unit)

Blanco: 420x340x160mm

The differences may seem minimal, but they make a lage difference in use. The Franke has a much more pronounced lip between the edge of the bowl and the edge of the unit which controls splashing better.

The sinks are 2014/15 and 1.5 bowl models. Would it be possible to swap them? They're both 1m long, but the Franke is 10mm wider at 510mm, although this may notaffect the cut-out.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 1,452 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    People polish their sinks? I really don't get that. My life is too busy with things to be polishing a sink.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 24,698 Thanks
    Gers
    Franke all the time!

We've got one and a half sinks though not sure that the small one is even a half size. There's a strainer compartment on the small sink and a glass movable piece covering the draining board. I insisted on it. Last sink I had in the previous house bounced when pushed.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 5,812 Posts
    • 3,430 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Franke fragranite, in black, for me in the new kitchen.

My husband says that Franke will replace one of theirs if it's years old and that he has collected 15 year-old ones which have been replaced.

I think all types of sink have their pros and cons; even the 'tough' old Belfast sinks, which can have chunks knocked out of them.

Our first sink in this house was stainless steel and it was scratched very easily, while showing water marks, unless you wanted to spend time drying and polishing after every use of liquid.

The present one, due to be replaced is composite and is 26 years old. The only damage is a tiny chip in the bottom of the basin, caused when one of our sons dropped something sharp and heavy into it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

3,350Users online

Martin's Twitter