Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rachelandgromit
    • By rachelandgromit 5th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 822Posts
    • 243Thanks
    rachelandgromit
    Estate Agent did viewing damaged quartz worktop!
    • 5th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    Estate Agent did viewing damaged quartz worktop! 5th Oct 16 at 6:58 PM
    Omg I'm hopping crazy!

Had two viewings on my house today. It's the first time Reeds Rains have done viewings when I've not been there as I've normally just let them in, disappeared round the block and come home 10 mins later.

Today they knew I wasn't going to be in so they would be letting themselves in and I left the garage key with a note.

I've just got in and the garage door was unlocked and had come ajar (it's full of things as we have started to pack). I struggled to get it to lock as appeared they had twisted the lock handle and damaged it. No call to say they couldn't lock it or had left it insecure

The absolutely worst thing was that my gorgeous quartz worktop has been damaged. I immediately noticed something odd as there was what I can only describe as white dirt on the worktop (which showed up easily as it is a black worktop) and it appears to have been forced down, like someone has stood on it as the corner joint now is uneven, like one side lower than the other and there is a lip. It has also come away from the upstand. This is something that must have needed a bit of force to do. They had one single man at noon and another single man 20 minutes later so either they haven't been 'supervising' them properly or the agent has damaged it, god only knows how.

Obviously they are shut now and by time 9am comes I'll be ready to explode. Regardless on the feedback or even if my property gets an offer is irrelevant and what's my first point off call? I've taken photos and I'm thinking of immediately asking the manager who valued and inspected the property to come out to look at the damage.

Surely they are responsible when they are doing viewings that no damage is done???
Page 3
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Oct 16, 11:51 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Yes, nubbins (or should I call you Watson?) I suppose that scenario would fit the evidence... I can only further surmise that your experience of such substances' effects is greater than mine
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 7th Oct 16, 12:08 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    justaquestion
    I always have a laugh when I watch Homes under the hammer, or such like programs and the programme makers wheel on "Two Local Professionals" to value the property after the place is done up.
    Cut to,
    Both guys walking up the road, well suited out and folders in hand and walk with a very meaningful purpose into house, then the obligatory "If I was renting this property out, I would be seeking £..... per mth or "If I was selling this property.........

Programme makers always do this on a certain tv channel,
    Beats "Dads Army" any day,
    or maybe its only me that always finds it funny!!

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 20,554 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Definitely sounds like someone either stood on it or maybe jumped up to sit on it?? A bored estate agent waiting for viewers to arrive/walk around, perhaps?
    Originally posted by Elfbert
    I'm picturing the estate agent waiting in the house for the viewers to arrive, deciding to sit on the kitchen counter while he waits, putting both hands behind him on the counter to haul himself up BUT still holding his keys in one hand. His body weight could be enough to force the key in to the marble, causing the dust, and also cause the worktop to drop.
    CSI - estate agent division.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 7th Oct 16, 1:31 PM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    It's not CSI we need, it's Miss Marble!
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    teneighty
    Unless he did a huge honker of a line and decided to bust out the running man on the worktop listening to MC Hammer's can't touch this.
    Originally posted by nubbins
    Please let this be true, if that was caught on a hidden camera it would be brilliant.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Oct 16, 7:29 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Not as brilliant as the original, imo... I believe Mr. James was no stranger to white powder...

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    Smodlet
    So, OP, what happened in the end? Did you get anywhere with the EA?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,127Posts Today

6,046Users online

Martin's Twitter