Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Stageshoot
    • By Stageshoot 5th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    • 466Posts
    • 498Thanks
    BMW i3 Electric Car - Am I Mad!
    • 5th Oct 16, 5:42 PM
    BMW i3 Electric Car - Am I Mad! 5th Oct 16 at 5:42 PM
    OK Just looking for some opinions on this prospective purchase

First about my driving

I cover about 20k miles a year for work. Most days I do about 80-90 miles with 5 or 6 days a month longer trips of about 300 miles a day.

I currently drive a 2015 Volvo V40 D2. It gets me an easy 65mpg day in day out. Its probably the best car I have ever owned.

BUT I have started looking at the BMW i3 (with range extender). About 80-90 miles Electric range and the little petrol engine as a backup.

For Charging I have FREE Charging available overnight so on days I do 80-90 miles it will be totally no cost motoring as I can charge it free overnight.

On the longer trips I can fast charge it free when I get to my location before return trip so only maybe £2/£3 in petrol on these trips.

I love the idea of Electric but have baulked at it up to now as did not like the idea of EDIT (NOT HAVING) a backup power source the i3 solves this for me

I will be in Central London 3 days a week so this will also save me the Congestion Charge as its CC free) and It would get me free parking/charging in Westminster. so saving parking charges as well

(Currently when driving into London I have to get in really early to avoid the CC and leave after the charge finishes which is a pain sometimes)

I have found a nice 65 Reg well specced i3 RE for £21000ish

My worries are with the rapid changes in battery technology is this thing going to be as out of date as in iPhone 4 in 4 years time!.

Will it depreciate faster than a standard petrol/diesel car.

Am I best holding off on the dream of Electric for now and sticking with what is still only an 18 month old ultra reliable and superb Volvo Oil burner..

I know its a very personal and subjective choice but would be interested in thoughts and opinions.
    Last edited by Stageshoot; 05-10-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 18th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 11,434 Posts
    • 9,730 Thanks
    Crikey, yes - I read the £14,200 as being over the two years, not per year. That's gotta be wrong.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 18th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 11,155 Posts
    • 14,967 Thanks
    You must have seriously misread it. That's more than a thousand a month. A quick look at quotes is showing me around £300/month and anyway it's a £30k car so you'd pretty much have bought it at that price ! Were you looking at an i8?
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    I didn't misread it, but I did screw up writing it down. Duh!

It should have been £14.2k over 2 years at 8k miles p.a.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Stageshoot
    • By Stageshoot 18th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 498 Thanks
    Some interesting discussion, Thanks Guys and Gals.

As for buying it I am old fashioned if I have the cash I pay for it, PCP Loans etc etc etc only make money for one person and its certainly not the end user. I like to know I own what I drive and can do what I want with it.

Had the car just under a week now. Done 700 miles in it, only had to use the Range Extender once when took kids down to the Harry Potter Experience in Leavesden and there was no charging point and I could not be bothered to stop on M1 (it was 1am). So used the Rex and it worked like a dream.

Apart from that been on Electric all the while. Lovely car to drive.

As for Batteries BMW have said all future higher power batteries for the car will be compatible so upgrading in 3 or 4 years would be an option, but being honest I have never kept a car that long.

Anyway its a stonking little toy. Here it is having a free drink in Derby today. Thanks All

And just to be totally clear. I have not abandoned Dino Altogether. I have still kept my Fun Car (Abarth 500c) for when I feel like Hooning it rather than toodling about.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,188Posts Today

7,445Users online

Martin's Twitter