Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 5th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 6,690Posts
    • 1,485Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Best sub-200 mobile
    • 5th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    Best sub-200 mobile 5th Oct 16 at 1:40 PM
    What is currently the best sim-free sub 200 mobile and why ?
    My Samsung Galaxy S4 had an accident this morning and needs replacing........
Page 2
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Oct 16, 4:52 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I had to buy a phone today for a family member
    I had a look around and if it were for me I would have bought this one :

Lenovo ZUK Z2

But as I was after the phone fairly quickly and a simpler set up
    I went for this one
    Nexus 5X ..it was 242 whenI bought it
    Originally posted by globalds
    The review on Amazon for the lenovo is not good unfortunately.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • globalds
    • By globalds 9th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 16,560 Thanks
    globalds
    I saw this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01J62AXYK/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_107_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4YT3J 45620N9B3K5GPES
    Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret

Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.

..............JAFA CHALENGE ......01/08...#16
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 9th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Thanks but at 319 - hardly a bargain
    • globalds
    • By globalds 9th Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 8,853 Posts
    • 16,560 Thanks
    globalds
    Thanks but at 319 - hardly a bargain
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    it is 228 on the link in my first post ....But to get it for about 240 after post and insurance requires a code and to go through quidco also a couple of weeks for delivery.

I am going to Asia at Christmas so ..hoping the pound hasn't tanked entirely I will see what it is going for in Malaysia after the usual haggling
    Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret

Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.

..............JAFA CHALENGE ......01/08...#16
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 9th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Atasas
    In the range of up to 200
    Xiaomi
    UMI
    ElePhone
    KingZone
    CuBot
    DooGee
    Meizu

makes - models need to be looked at (Lenovo's are good, but flagship models are only ever so little much cheaper, than big branded ones) BTW Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google...
    Others like Asus, Acer, OnePlus etc are producing great phones too, but those even more expensive, BUT still cheaper (vs price of hardware) than branded Samsung or Sony ones
    Last edited by Atasas; 09-10-2016 at 5:46 PM.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 9th Oct 16, 7:07 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    ballyblack
    Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google...
    No

Lenovo now owns Motorola which may have been owned by Google some time ago?
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    No

Lenovo now owns Motorola which may have been owned by Google some time ago?
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Losing almost $10 billion in doing so....
    https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Google-buy-Motorola-for-12-5-billion-and-sell-it-off-for-2-91-billion
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 10th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Atasas
    bottom line would be to forget the myth of quality being in accordance to name brand..
    only myth
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 6,690 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    bottom line would be to forget the myth of quality being in accordance to name brand..
    only myth
    Originally posted by Atasas
    What about reputation ?
    and warranties ?
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 10th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Atasas
    What about reputation ?
    and warranties ?
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    MOST will last above and beyond couple of years regardless...
    • d123
    • By d123 10th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    In the range of up to 200
    Xiaomi
    UMI
    ElePhone
    KingZone
    CuBot
    DooGee
    Meizu

makes - models need to be looked at (Lenovo's are good, but flagship models are only ever so little much cheaper, than big branded ones) BTW Lenovo Phone branch is owned by Google...
    Others like Asus, Acer, OnePlus etc are producing great phones too, but those even more expensive, BUT still cheaper (vs price of hardware) than branded Samsung or Sony ones
    BTW, Google has absolutely nothing to do with Lenovo, Google used to own Motorola but sold it, to Lenovo. There is no other connection.

only myth
    MOST will last above and beyond couple of years regardless...
    Sorry, as someone who dealt in those phones, the "sub-brands" from China don't last anything like the established brands, there are good Chinese brands, but not the super cheap ones, and you've recommended a number of them.

Asus, Lenovo Moto, OnePlus, Honor or Xiaomi, yes, the rest of your list I'm less likely to agree, I've seen any number of them break within the first year and warranty is non-existent, it almost costs more to send the phone to China than buying a new one, and even getting it to China doesn't mean it gets fixed.

The rest of your list I'd view as disposable junk, and you would have to just hope you don't have a problem with it in the first year.
    Last edited by d123; 10-10-2016 at 10:07 PM.
    Dave
    ====
    • LONDON_SMOGGY
    • By LONDON_SMOGGY 12th Oct 16, 4:50 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LONDON_SMOGGY
    These chinese phones are there any language problems with them? Does everythign load up in chinese or will there be no issues whatsoever settign up to fully english? Also as it is not android I assume there will hardly be any apps for the phone? As you cant use google play store etc
    Last edited by LONDON_SMOGGY; 12-10-2016 at 5:09 PM.
    • LONDON_SMOGGY
    • By LONDON_SMOGGY 12th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LONDON_SMOGGY
    Wileyfox Swift - 16 GB - Sandstone Black - Unlocked, This is clearly the best and under 100 too bargain!
    • LONDON_SMOGGY
    • By LONDON_SMOGGY 12th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LONDON_SMOGGY
    I had both the moto g 2 and 3, after you install 10 apps the phone becomes pretty much unusuable as the internal memory is all taken up, everything just stops responding even after I've wiped the phone or constantly clear app caches and data. I even tried expanding it to 32gb with a memory card but hardly any apps can be moved across and the ones that do run even slower than off the internal memory! Shame because at the beginning it was a decent phone. I think it is pretty unacceptable these days to have 10 apps and your phoen to pretty much stop working.

Looks like this wileyfox one is now best for under 100 aswell. I dont think much will have changed on the moto g 4!
    • Atasas
    • By Atasas 12th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Atasas
    These chinese phones are there any language problems with them? Does everythign load up in chinese or will there be no issues whatsoever settign up to fully english? Also as it is not android I assume there will hardly be any apps for the phone? As you cant use google play store etc
    Originally posted by LONDON_SMOGGY
    They all (most) are android, they come with many languages preinstalled, you just need to set everything up and remove languages you dont use

Almost none are locked to anything

Google PlayStore is possible to install to most of them without any glitches and run all of the apps, as you would on any other Android phone .

Most of them allow simple SD card fitment with apps to be installed on either internal memory or SD card (moto's dont), ever so easy to manage load of files to be transfered to the M$ windows etc.

As ever, just look up as what brand and model is and only real concern is for the very particular model to be covering UK 4G (also 3G 1800; 2100 MHZ) frequencies.

all of that nonsense about Chinese branded phones not being SAME quality as big branded ones... I personally take as silly snobbishness, as I owned few and had 0 problems of the sort.

Also, VERY highly recommended to read up articles on PCworld and on GPSarena for all of the specifics of any phone you'd chose to buy.

under 200 those better models are near equal to 400-500 priced ones, that carry big names on them.

Same as PC (windows) world- name used to mean quality, but suddenly people learned that any brand is as valuable as tech specs of those products is.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Oct 16, 6:57 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    ballyblack
    I dont think much will have changed on the moto g 4!
    Well it has double the internal memory at 16GB and double the Ram to run the apps smoothly. I agree the old Moto g (8Gb) had only about 3.5Gb of useful memory (considering the operating system uses about 4.5 Gb) and was frustrating to use
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123

all of that nonsense about Chinese branded phones not being SAME quality as big branded ones... I personally take as silly snobbishness, as I owned few and had 0 problems of the sort.
    As someone who has been involved in trying to retail these phones I can tell you that you don't really have a clue.

Just how many "non-brand" Chinese phones have you owned? And which makes?

There are some good Chinese brands but there are lots of really poor quality brands as well, and your list of recommendations includes plenty of the bad ones...
    Dave
    ====
    • LONDON_SMOGGY
    • By LONDON_SMOGGY 12th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LONDON_SMOGGY
    So is there anything better than the wileyfox phone currently for sub 150?
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Oct 16, 8:38 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    So is there anything better than the wileyfox phone currently for sub 150?
    Originally posted by LONDON_SMOGGY

You could also look at the Honor phones, the 4X or 5X or its replacement (I think it's recently had or about to have a replacement)

Should be around 150 on Amazon or via their EU site, vmall.eu.
    Dave
    ====
    • LONDON_SMOGGY
    • By LONDON_SMOGGY 12th Oct 16, 8:51 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LONDON_SMOGGY
    So what would people go with the wileyfox or the xiaomi, both 2ghz processor with 16gb internal memory. Cant decide which is better?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

4,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin