Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 5th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 80Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Cashback-paying Santander 123 credit card closed to new customers
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    Cashback-paying Santander 123 credit card closed to new customers 5th Oct 16 at 11:57 AM
    Card paying 1-3% on spending axed and replaced with one paying just 0.5%...
    Read the full story:
    'Cashback-paying Santander 123 credit card closed to new customers'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 5th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 1,173 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:56 PM
    Does MSE ever fact check their articles?

From 16 Sept 2015
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2015/09/santander-to-shake-up-123-current-account-and-credit-card-fees-whats-happening

For those who get the 123 credit card from 16 September onwards, cashback will also be capped at £3/month on each of the card's three spending categories; supermarkets, department stores and transport.

Existing customers will continue to earn 1% unlimited cashback at supermarkets, 2% unlimited cashback at department stores, and 3% cashback up to a maximum of £9/month on petrol, national rail and Transport for London.
    And in this new article dated today:

3% on petrol, diesel and train tickets (capped at £9/month)

I wonder how long it will be before they reduce or remove entirely the unlimited cashback for supermarkets and dept. stores/£9 max cashback for transport from card holders pre 15 Sept 2015 changes?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 5th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    20aday
    • 5th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    Does MSE ever fact check their articles?

From 16 Sept 2015
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2015/09/santander-to-shake-up-123-current-account-and-credit-card-fees-whats-happening

And in this new article dated today:

I wonder how long it will be before they reduce or remove entirely the unlimited cashback for supermarkets and dept. stores/£9 max cashback for transport from card holders pre 15 Sept 2015 changes?
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    I'd imagine it's going to be sooner rather than later IMHO.

No wonder they didn't offer me any form of retention deals when I sent them a secure message asking to close my account
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 5th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 5,842 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Pincher
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    Let's face it, there is no action left in the cashback game.

I have been using the TSB Contactless 5% deal to good effect, so the Santander card has been playing second fiddle. The TSB deal is coming to an end December 2016.

The Amex 2.5% cashback for the anniversary month is still on, one last time, so I will really try to max it, and then cancel it.

It's all just a sweet memory a year from now.
    What happens if you push this button?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 6th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    20aday
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    Let's face it, there is no action left in the cashback game.

I have been using the TSB Contactless 5% deal to good effect, so the Santander card has been playing second fiddle. The TSB deal is coming to an end December 2016.

The Amex 2.5% cashback for the anniversary month is still on, one last time, so I will really try to max it, and then cancel it.

It's all just a sweet memory a year from now.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    Part of me (selfishly) hopes the Interchange Fee cap might be removed as/when we leave the European Union.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • minislim
    • By minislim 6th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    minislim
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    its not looking good to stay with Santander anymore! firstly their 123 current account charges got hiked. then they're cutting rates and now this.

wont be long before they're back at the bottom of customer service polls!
    • JGUK
    • By JGUK 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    JGUK
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 8:32 PM
    Am I right in thinking both the All in One and Zero cards offer completely free use abroad ?

So if you put 600 GBP or more on the All In One credit card each month it pays for itself ?

The Zero is now comparable to the Halifax Clarity or not ?
    Thanks
    JG
    • BlondBoy
    • By BlondBoy 10th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    BlondBoy
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 10:11 PM
    Am I right in thinking both the All in One and Zero cards offer completely free use abroad ?

So if you put 600 GBP or more on the All In One credit card each month it pays for itself ?

The Zero is now comparable to the Halifax Clarity or not ?
    Originally posted by JGUK
    Zero has a higher APR on cash transactions (29.9%) - higher than the Clarity.

And seems like there's some confusion on the All in One - on the web pages, it says no fees for cash withdrawals, but on the Summary Box for the card it says 3%, minimum of £3.

Certainly close to the Clarity, but not beating it, I don't think.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,424Posts Today

7,186Users online

Martin's Twitter