Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lacuna1
    • By lacuna1 5th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    lacuna1
    Opening a new current account
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    Opening a new current account 5th Oct 16 at 11:00 AM
    I already have one current account and am thinking of opening a second (not switching)

How easy are they to open online? Are some easier than others without the need to send extra documents? And if they do require the extra documents can i go into branch with them or do they have to be sent by post?

At the moment i was thinking of trying Santander
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 5th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 10,927 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    At the moment i was thinking of trying Santander
    Why Santander?
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 5th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 1,297 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    Some are very easy to open, if your identity can be verified online. Tesco and Bank of Scotland are good in this respect.

HSBC/firstdirect/Marks&Spencer are (allegedly) a little more tricky and may possibly require certified copies of documents.

What you want from this new account is perhaps more important than how easy it is to open.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 5th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    I have recently opened TSB, Tesco, Lloyds, First Direct and M&S current accounts wholly online without the need for any other ID or document checks.

It may help that my credit file has a couple of current accounts, credit cards and a mortgage on it and I'm on the electoral register with only two addresses in the last two years.

Ironically, only Nationwide with whom I've held savings for over 20 years and a current account and credit card for over 8 years, asked me to provide ID in branch. The member of staff in branch was surprised by this.
    • Dan83
    • By Dan83 5th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Dan83
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    The only bank I've had a problem with was NatWest, everyone else done the checks online, including Santander. NatWest wanted me to take ID into a branch.

I takes less then 10 mins to open a current online, some even give you an answer there and then.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 6th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    northwalesd
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    Ironically, only Nationwide with whom I've held savings for over 20 years and a current account and credit card for over 8 years, asked me to provide ID in branch. The member of staff in branch was surprised by this.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    That echoes my experience. Applied for a Nationwide account three weeks ago, was confirmed and asked to take ID into a branch. On turning up they were really surprised and when they looked online my ID was already verified - they said probably done from electoral roll. So that was a wasted journey.

Three weeks later I have access to my account online but can do nothing without a card reader, which hasn't arrived yet. Compare that to TSB where I was up and running in three or four days.
    • GingerBob
    • By GingerBob 6th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    GingerBob
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:37 PM
    I'm toying with the idea of a second current account, again not to switch, but as a backup. I'm currently with FD. My criteria are no offline identity checks and an easy-to-use (and small) card reader / security device. Some useful info above about the online checking, but what about the device?
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 6th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    That echoes my experience. Applied for a Nationwide account three weeks ago, was confirmed and asked to take ID into a branch. On turning up they were really surprised and when they looked online my ID was already verified - they said probably done from electoral roll. So that was a wasted journey.

Three weeks later I have access to my account online but can do nothing without a card reader, which hasn't arrived yet. Compare that to TSB where I was up and running in three or four days.
    Originally posted by northwalesd
    My experience in branch was good though. Had a quick check over of my accounts, closed an old savings account and collected the interest (all 16p of it). The staff member also made a call to get my account opened and because she got stuck on hold I went back to work while she continued the call and phoned me to notify when it was done. All this for an account I've only set up to switch out for a switching incentive.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 6th Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 10:57 PM
    I'm toying with the idea of a second current account, again not to switch, but as a backup. I'm currently with FD. My criteria are no offline identity checks and an easy-to-use (and small) card reader / security device. Some useful info above about the online checking, but what about the device?
    Originally posted by GingerBob
    The nationwide card reader is small calculator size, a little bigger than a debit card but obviously much thicker (8-9mm). Needs to be used when making most transfers of money outside of Nationwide.
    • northwalesd
    • By northwalesd 7th Oct 16, 8:43 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    northwalesd
    My experience in branch was good though. Had a quick check over of my accounts, closed an old savings account and collected the interest (all 16p of it). The staff member also made a call to get my account opened and because she got stuck on hold I went back to work while she continued the call and phoned me to notify when it was done. All this for an account I've only set up to switch out for a switching incentive.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    This is my first experience of Nationwide, can't say they've really impressed me.
    • stockton
    • By stockton 7th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    stockton
    This is my first experience of Nationwide, can't say they've really impressed me.
    Originally posted by northwalesd
    I have been with Nationwide for over twenty years and have always found them very helpful. Customer service in the branch is always superb. I also had an account with Santander until last week when I switched it to NW.

I went to the counter at my Santander branch once to withdraw some money and was told huffily by the clerk that I could always use the ATM. Never went to that counter ever again.

Also, Santander pestered me to apply for a credit card. So I eventually applied, and was refused. If I did not meet the criteria (I always pay bills on time) why ask me to apply for one? So I asked Nationwide for a credit card and they gave me one right away.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 7th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 2,364 Thanks
    inkie
    Can't fault nationwide
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 2,571 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I have opened Santander, Lloyds, TSB, nationwide, nat west, Tesco and first direct and BOS current accounts in last year. I don't remember bpneeding to take any Id into branch.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Oct 16, 10:40 AM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 10,927 Thanks
    xylophone
    I don't remember bpneeding to take any Id into branch.

I did with M&S - I was very surprised as I have been on the Electoral Roll at my current address for decades and have credit card, utilities, other accounts etc.....
    • badger09
    • By badger09 8th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    badger09
    I did with M&S - I was very surprised as I have been on the Electoral Roll at my current address for decades and have credit card, utilities, other accounts etc.....
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Ah, but it isn't just a current accurrent account, its an M&S current account
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 11th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    It depends on the bank itself really, I haven't joined Santander but two years ago I was able to open my First Direct account without the need for these documents.

And since then, Halifax and Lloyds require you to to into branch with ID, proof of address etc. But I recently opened an account with Barclays a few weeks ago and they just asked me some credit score questions like:
    "You opened a new credit card around April 2016, who provided this?:
    1. Lloyds Bank
    2. CoOp Bank
    3. HSBC
    4. None of these"

They never required proof of address really. So Santander will probably use any of those methods really
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,378Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• I've just checked the score. You're right. What happened? https://t.co/5E7y52r47o

• Follow Martin