Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 5th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 6,423Posts
    • 20,453Thanks
    fairy lights
    How many languages can you speak?
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    How many languages can you speak? 5th Oct 16 at 10:55 AM
    I did French and German at school but can only remember un petite pois.
    I've recently started Spanish classes and I'm hoping I will be able to learn enough to get by on holiday but I'm making slow progress. It's in one ear and out the other.

I wonder if it's true that you lose the ability to learn new languages as you get older?
Page 4
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Oct 16, 6:20 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    And I'm amazed you missed my post #6.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    How do you know I missed it?
    • Tighter Than A Ducks Bum
    • By Tighter Than A Ducks Bum 8th Oct 16, 7:21 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    Tighter Than A Ducks Bum
    • missbiggles1
    • By missbiggles1 8th Oct 16, 8:19 AM
    • 15,700 Posts
    • 28,634 Thanks
    missbiggles1
    How do you know I missed it?
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Because you said nobody'd picked up on the mistake.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 27,821 Posts
    • 51,025 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Can get by in everyday Spanish (or could while I lived there - I'm rapidly forgetting it). Schoolgirl (O level) French. Can speak Black Country dialect, although I don't, my normal accent is ordinary West Midlands.

Them furriners dow spake propa, ower kid.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 08-10-2016 at 8:39 AM.
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Oct 16, 8:51 AM
    • 20,651 Posts
    • 52,527 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I know the deaf alphabet! I really should learn sign language, but I don't know anyone else who is deaf!
    Originally posted by Nomoonatall

I can sign, very slowly. However, when you get deaf people signing together it's hard to follow as the go so fast, as well as having a certain amount of their own slang.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Because you said nobody'd picked up on the mistake.
    Originally posted by missbiggles1
    Nope, still can't work it out.
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 8th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 5,839 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    Nope, still can't work it out.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I took it that the poster was saying she could speak french "un peu" ( a little) but used the word "pois" instead which means "pea". That was what MissB referred to in her comment.
    Last edited by Andypandyboy; 08-10-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I took it that the poster was saying she could speak french "un peu" ( a little) but used the word "pois" instead which means "pea". That was what MissB referred to in her comment.
    Originally posted by Andypandyboy
    That's a different deliberate error to the one I picked up, but I understand now.....tvm.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Let's see - well, English is my native language.
    First language I started learning informally was Spanish at a very young age.
    First language I started learning in school was Latin (2 years), then French (5 years).
    I've also picked up a little Dutch, Portuguese and tried to learn Russian.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Oct 16, 6:54 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 5,115 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Yes!

That's precisely why I thought I'd do this very short course.

You can still sign up for it.......it's free........as you can do it anytime you like once you're signed up.
    (Openlearn is a free Mooc provider, and is a branch of the Open University).

I'll find the link........

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/frisian
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Thanks for that, it's amazing . Can't believe how many interesting things for free, not just languages. As a point of interest, I didn't know Frisian was The Netherlands second language, I understand not many people speak it.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 9th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 102,100 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    I speak French, German and Spanish v badly. I can say most things in a foreign language, the problem for me is that I can't say them all in the same foreign language.

Given that I only learned German at school, I have no idea why I can say "I have a gun" in it. It seems a random thing to know.

I also know how to ask if there is a chemist nearby in Italian, but this is only useful if the answer is "yes, there is one behind the cathedral", as that's the only response that I learned.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 32,913 Posts
    • 135,169 Thanks
    tommix
    I speak 632 languages..I have a good ear for languages, I inherited the talent from my Father who was a Diplomat working for the Russian Embassy in London. His Job took him to the far flung corners of the Globe.

I remember on one occasion he was part of a trade delegation visiting the Pitcairn Islands In the Pacific..I got to know the locals very well. Indeed I embarked upon a relationship with one of the Local girls whose name escapes me..Cut a long story short, within a week I was fluent in Pitcairnian.
    Last edited by tommix; 09-10-2016 at 3:26 PM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 75,083 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I speak 632 languages..I have a good ear for languages, I inherited the talent from my Father who was a Diplomat working for the Russian Embassy in London. His Job took him to the far flung corners of the Globe.

I remember on one occasion he was part of a trade delegation visiting the Pitcairn Islands In the Pacific..I got to know the locals very well. Indeed I embarked upon a relationship with one of the Local girls whose name escapes me..Cut a long story short, within a week I was fluent in Pitcairnian.
    Originally posted by tommix

Great! So am I!...........

Cooshoo!
    Humuch shep corl ya?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,948Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter