Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 4th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 3,304Posts
    • 4,208Thanks
    Paradigm
    What is the 3 network coverage like generally?
    • 4th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    What is the 3 network coverage like generally? 4th Oct 16 at 8:52 PM
    Obviously it will vary but as I drive for a living it's pretty difficult to check coverage in every place I might have to go.

I'm currently with EE but I'm not paying their prices for sim only when I can get better from 3... depending on coverage.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
Page 1
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 4th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    20aday
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:42 PM
    I *think* 3's coverage is getting better over time.

If you've a phone that supports it they have something called Super Voice. It works on the 800MHz 4G network meaning less "black spots" apparently.

They have the Three In Touch app too so if you're somewhere with Wi-Fi you'd be able to make/receive calls and texts over that as well.

They do offer free SIMs here: https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order if your phone is unlocked from EE
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your account conduct and credit history.
    • d123
    • By d123 4th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    Obviously it will vary but as I drive for a living it's pretty difficult to check coverage in every place I might have to go.

I'm currently with EE but I'm not paying their prices for sim only when I can get better from 3... depending on coverage.
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    They have no 2G coverage (but do have an agreement to roam onto the old Orange network in some parts of the UK, only for voice and text though, no data).
    Their 3G is pretty good, their 4G is pretty bad when compared to EE.

If you are always in and around a big city it's quite usable, but don't expect EE type coverage generally.
    Dave
    ====
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 5th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    anotheruser
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    Hmm.

I am on Tesco (so O2), but looking at the 3 UL texts, UL minutes, 4Gb of data. For my street, it says good outside, not so good inside. O2's map fairs better but both are about the same using OfCom's map.

I will get a free sim and check it out but it's likely I'll change anyway. Inside the house is generalyl okay as we have good WiFi coverage, but for the extra data, and £1 less a month, I'm happy to change.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 5th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 12,941 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:29 PM
    I've found that 3 is no worse than Tesco used to be for me. Added bonus is the 3 in touch app which means that I can now receive texts and calls at home. (None of the networks give me a signal inside at home)

To be fair if EE had something that allowed me to receive calls and texts at home I would try them. But sadly they don't.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 1,046 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    Their 3G coverage will be very similar to EEs as they share that infrastructure.

I find their network to be better for data (possibly less congested) than EEs even with that network's far superior 4G coverage.

EE indoor coverage was marginally better (with the addition of EE 2G) but nothing like Voda/O2s indoor coverage.

A free sim is worth ordering but make sure it's a phone one as the mifi/device data ones won't give 2G coverage in rural areas.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 5th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 356 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    Mine is great! Newark, Notts, NG24
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    • 5th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 1:54 PM

To be fair if EE had something that allowed me to receive calls and texts at home I would try them. But sadly they don't.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    They do, unlike the rubbish inTouch app Three have, EE have proper built in WifiCalling available on a variety of handsets.
    Dave
    ====
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 5th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 5th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 5th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    You can check the coverage of all networks at:
    http://webcoveragemap.rootmetrics.com/en-GB

The data presented depends to a large extent on end users of their free App testing upload/download at various locations. A blank entry doesn't always mean no data or coverage.

I find the 3 network generally OK, both for calls and data. However, they lack data capacity in many locations which can result in mediocre data rates at peak times. For example a seaside town with a large caravan park on a wet Saturday evening.

Three have good free roaming on some packages with their "feel at home" which now covers pretty much all of Europe and a few other countries too (42 countries at the last count). However, data rates on "feel at home" rely on the host network having spare capacity... which isn't always the case in some busy locations. We use "feel at home" extensively in Spain and find it excellent value as we have lots of minutes and 12 GB of data per month to waste sending holiday snaps back home for no extra cost!
    • Paradigm
    • By Paradigm 5th Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 3,304 Posts
    • 4,208 Thanks
    Paradigm
    Cheers guys I might give a payg sim a try first, my contract doesn't end until next month so there's no rush.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 12,941 Thanks
    indesisiv
    They do, unlike the rubbish inTouch app Three have, EE have proper built in WifiCalling available on a variety of handsets.
    Originally posted by d123
    Only if you get the handset from them.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Not quite true, IPhone's can be updated when purchased elsewhere as can a few Android phones.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Oct 16, 12:14 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    As Inner Zone says, not true, some Android and Windows phones need to be EE firmware, but there are a number of others that work on all models of the handset, like the iPhone, and a number of Android and Windows phones.

It's even been reported recently that the onePlus 3 is supposedly now WifiCalling capable on EE.

This is the EE webpage: http://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/wifi-calling

WiFi Calling is available on all versions of the iPhone 5c and later models of the iPhone, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, Note 7, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL, HTC 10 and Blackberry Priv.

It's only available on the EE version of all other Android and Windows devices, which can only be bought directly from us in one of our stores, online, or through our telesales team. At present other Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers will not be able to support WiFi Calling.
    Dave
    ====
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 6th Oct 16, 12:54 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 12,941 Thanks
    indesisiv
    It's even been reported recently that the onePlus 3 is supposedly now WifiCalling capable on EE.
    Sadly at the moment I only have the one plus one.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 6th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Called Tesco mobile today to discuss leaving.
    They came back with a good deal, so I am staying with them.

For Tesco:
    + Great app
    + Never complained
    + Never been left without a service
    + Can always roll back to 2G
    + No price rises. Ever.

Against 3:
    - Bad app
    - No 2G option
    - I'm sure Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U didn't sell 3's contracts because of customer complaints, although that was years ago
    - Can't add "Feel at Home" for a few days/weeks/months
    - Yearly price rises

Signal won't be any better so I'd rather not faff about with PAC codes and such. I rarely call as it is, I think the average has been less than 100 mins a month.

The deal?
    OLD DEAL: £10 / 500 mins / 5000 texts / 1GB data (+250MB on family perk)
    NEW DEAL: £11 (£10 for first 12 months) / 250 mins / 5000 texts / 4GB data (+150 mins on family perk)

Four times as much data, a loss of 100 mins, £1 extra in a years time. Deal.
    • Daz2009
    • By Daz2009 7th Oct 16, 4:07 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    Daz2009
    They have no 2G coverage (but do have an agreement to roam onto the old Orange network in some parts of the UK, only for voice and text though, no data).
    Their 3G is pretty good, their 4G is pretty bad when compared to EE.

If you are always in and around a big city it's quite usable, but don't expect EE type coverage generally.
    You say that but I find EE coverage pretty poor,it's the only network that I've used....and I've used most of them....where I struggle to get a reliable data signal at work.
    I'm actually considering moving to 3 because of this
    • d123
    • By d123 7th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    You say that but I find EE coverage pretty poor,it's the only network that I've used....and I've used most of them....where I struggle to get a reliable data signal at work.
    I'm actually considering moving to 3 because of this
    Originally posted by Daz2009
    It's not just me who says it, Rootmetrics consistently have EE well ahead of the others and OFCOM ranked EE as best in their 2016 report. Not to mention that the government has just given EE the contract to supply communication services for the emergency services from next year (as a replacement to the current Airwave system).

It's also a bit odd you say you can get a Three signal yet struggle for an EE signal considering that EE share all the same masts as Three, and then also have additional masts outside the MBNL share agreement from the old Orange network and other old sites only running 2G, as well as a far larger number of sites with 4G...
    Last edited by d123; 07-10-2016 at 6:00 PM.
    Dave
    ====
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 8th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 6,729 Posts
    • 9,145 Thanks
    KxMx
    I moved from Tesco to 3 on PAYG a couple of months ago.

Have to say the 3 coverage is worse, but seems to be improving.

On Tesco I had one dead spot (affects all networks) and 3-4 bars (of 4) indoors.

With 3 I've encountered another two dead spots locally (no wi-fi either) and 1 or 2 bars indoors, when I get 3 it's exciting!

But 3 is loads cheaper and I'm happy.

A friend has EE and drives all over to smaller areas and has always been happy with the signal, so much so she won't move networks as it's so reliable for her job.
    • newfoundglory
    • By newfoundglory 9th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    newfoundglory
    I was with Three for like 5 years, until I moved to EE about 8 months ago.

I never had any problems with Three at all. I was completely happy with Three, and during the time I was with them so many people would ask me 'how do you find Three, I heard they have bad signal?'

To be honest, I don't see no 2G as being a bad thing.

Three have an advanced 3G network - read about the technology here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_High_Speed_Packet_Access#Dual-Carrier_HSDPA_.28DC-HSDPA.29

The big selling point is data. You may find that data on Three's 3G network is faster than other providers 3G and 4G offerings. Unless you have double-speed 4G from EE you may not be able to tell the difference.

I only moved to EE because I moved to a location where I can't get high speed broadband, and while Three is perfectly fine here I can get bigger data allowance from EE.
    Last edited by newfoundglory; 09-10-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    • d123
    • By d123 9th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 5,784 Posts
    • 3,786 Thanks
    d123
    I was with Three for like 5 years, until I moved to EE about 8 months ago.

Three have an advanced 3G network - read about the technology here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolved_High_Speed_Packet_Access#Dual-Carrier_HSDPA_.28DC-HSDPA.29
    Originally posted by newfoundglory
    You mean the same 'advanced 3G' known as DC-HSDPA used by EE, Vodafone and o2?

The big selling point is data. You may find that data on Three's 3G network is faster than other providers 3G and 4G offerings. Unless you have double-speed 4G from EE you may not be able to tell the difference.
    Originally posted by newfoundglory
    No quite wrong, you will see speeds far exceeding even perfect theoretical HSPA+ 3G speeds on EE, Vodafone and o2 4G.
    Dave
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter