Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hatecreditors.com
    • By Hatecreditors.com 4th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 106Thanks
    Hatecreditors.com
    British Gas Collective Switch WARNING!
    • 4th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    British Gas Collective Switch WARNING! 4th Oct 16 at 4:16 PM
    Just a word of warning with British Gas.

I was previously with Ovo paying around £75 a month for both Gas and Electricity (2 bed end link). I checked out the MSE Energy Saving Club which recommended the collective switch in February 2016. Based on this Tariff, British Gas recommended a payment of £66 based on the expiring yearís usage. Happy days.

Itís worth mentioning that during my time with Ovo, they fitted brand new smart meters (which turned out to be pointless as they arenít compatible with BS but thatís another story!).

I have just sold my house where the BG deal was based and received my final bill. To my horror, the cost of Gas was almost three times the amount Ovo charged and I now owe £250ish. I knew something wasnít right so decided to investigate. After looking into usage, the amount of gas (using meter reads) was nearly identical to Ovo. After that, I checked the amount of KWH and this is where BG differed to Ovo. As previously mentioned, the meters were brand new and as such, they use the new Metric measurements. This is where BG have messed up! They assume that you have Imperial based meters (the older ones!) and convert (what they assume is) Imperial units into Metric units by multiplying the read by 2.83. As the meters are already Metric units, they are effectively multiplying the amount you owe by 2.83!

Iíve logged it as a complaint but if I hadnít of investigated and just rolled over, I would have been paying way over the top. Something I suspect hundreds of people will do!

Hopefully someone will get involved to get this sorted out! (arenít energy companies supposed to be aware of what meters people have?!).
    Debt at Start of DMP in October 2009 - £45,000
    Debt in March 2014 - £0.00
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 15,068 Posts
    • 9,401 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    The problem here is we have a totally dysfunctional industry where parties do not communicate with each other. It may be that OVO did not inform the national database of a meter change and, if the old meter was imperial, BG would have used that data. Does the meter serial on the bill tie up with the actual meter ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • bumpercars99
    • By bumpercars99 4th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    bumpercars99
    • 4th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 5:35 PM
    This isn't really anything to do with the collective switch tariff, it's a simple admin error on how they've set up your particular meter on the system. Likely due to your previous supplier not updating the system correctly/in a timely fashion when they changed the meter.

I'm sure it'll be quickly resolved for you.
    • Hatecreditors.com
    • By Hatecreditors.com 13th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Hatecreditors.com
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 4:48 PM
    Sorry for the delayed response. Have been busy with new house.

The error with British Gas has been a total nightmare. This is the worst organisation I have ever dealt with. I ring everyday to be told 'someone else is in your file so I can't help. All I can do is e-mail them'.

I logged an official complaint and was promised a call back again to no avail!

After checking my previous bills with Ovo, I noticed that the meter serial number differs from British Gas so that is where the problem has arisen. British Gas' solution? They have asked the new owner of the property to call them with the serial number, despite the fact that the correct number is on all of my Ovo bills and they were the ones who installed the meters so will have it correct!

So now I have to rely on a third party to sort this out for me. I hate to think what will happen if the new owner decides not to get in touch! I already know they are going to a new supplier anyway so may not be interested in rectifying a two week bill (as British Gas will be incorrectly calculating their bill based on Imperial measurements also).

If this isn't sorted, I hope the Ombudsman can intervene!
    Debt at Start of DMP in October 2009 - £45,000
    Debt in March 2014 - £0.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just been to @channel4's #bearhunt premier, a beautiful artist reworking BUT be warned, a surprisingly sad end, mini MSE in floods of tears

• Going to a very exciting premier right now... with Mrs and mini MSE, to the screening of "we're going on a bear hunt"

• No. Not a huge fan. Never claimed to be.Just a fan. And one who choose to prioritise family time with his little gi? https://t.co/lZ9uUylk2U

• Follow Martin