Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• angelmunkie
    • By angelmunkie 4th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    NCP Parking charge - HELP!
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    NCP Parking charge - HELP! 4th Oct 16 at 2:09 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have recently appealed to the NCP after receiving a parking charge which they have rejected. After looking at this very helpful forum it made me aware they were far to late in sending the fine to me. The car is a hire car under a Contract Hire agreement. The letter I sent is pasted below (a version of something I found on here requesting a POPLA code) and below that is their response. As they haven't supplied a POPLA code I am unsure what to do next? Please help!

RE: PCN No. CP88416395

I refer to the above-detailed Parking Charge Notice (PCN) issued to me by National Car Parks (NCP) as a Notice to Keeper.

I would like you to know I (as the registered keeper of the vehicle) am not ignoring your letter suggesting my liability for a charge related to a parking infraction that you state took place on 3rd May 2016 at Glasgow King Street.

I wish to outline my current position in reference to your PCN.

You will no doubt be familiar with the strict requirements of Schedule 4 of POFA to be followed in order for a parking operator to be able to invoke keeper liability for a Parking Charge. There are a number of reasons why NCPs Notice to Hirer did not comply with POFA; in order that you may understand why, I suggest that you carefully study the details of Paragraphs 13, 14 and 9 (in particular point 5) of Schedule 4. The date on the notice is more than 14 days from the date of the alleged offence.

Given that NCP has forfeited its right to keeper liability, please confirm that you shall now cancel this charge. Alternatively, should you choose to reject my challenge, please provide me with details of the Independent Appeals Service (POPLA), their contact details and a unique POPLA appeal reference so that I may escalate the matter to POPLA.

Thank you for your cooperation and I look forward to receiving your response within the relevant timescales specified under the British Parking Association Ltd Code of Practice.

Re: CP88416395 issued at Glasgow King Street CP (CCTV) on 03 May 2016

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding the above notice number. We have considered the case carefully and have decided to reject your appeal on the following grounds;

The Automatic Number Plate Recognition service has recorded that the parking session for your vehicle was not paid for within the stipulated time.

The Terms and Conditions of which our services are provided are clearly displayed on entrance and throughout our facilities, including the requirement for motorist to ensure valid payment is clearly displayed at all times in the vehicle. We are confident that all signage and the PCN are compliant with all industry standards and to the British Parking Association's code of practice to which we subscribe.

You now have the following options;
    Pay the Parking Charge Notice at the discounted amount of 50.00 within 14 days. Please note that after this time the Parking Charge Notice will increase to the full charge of 100.00.
    Payment can be made:

* Online, by visiting
    * By sending a cheque or postal order, made payable to National Car Parks Ltd to: National Car Parks Ltd. Notice Processing, PO Box 839, Northampton, NN4 4AL.
    * By Debit or Credit card (except American Express). Please call 0345 452 7780 and have your card details and the information held in this letter to hand.

If you believe this decision is incorrect, you are entitled to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS). In order to appeal the IAS will need your parking charge number, your vehicle registration and the date the charge was originally issued. Appeals must be submitted to the IAS within 21 days of the date of this letter. For further information please visit

If you decide to use the independent appeals service, the offer of a discount for early payment will be withdrawn, and the full parking charge will apply if your appeal is rejected. If you appeal and then subsequently pay the charge prior to that appeal being determined, then the appeal will be cancelled and you will not be given a further opportunity to contest the charge. Please note that the independent adjudicator is unable to cancel a charge on grounds of mitigation and the decision will be based on facts and evidence only.
    The Independent Appeals Service provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme for disputes of this type. As you have complied with our internal appeals procedure you may use, and we will engage with, the IAS Standard Appeals Service providing you lodge an appeal to them within 21 days of this rejection.
    If you choose to do nothing, we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and may proceed with Court action against you.

Yours sincerely,
    Notice Processing Team
    National Car Parks
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 10,551 Posts
    • 15,693 Thanks
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    As this is in Scotland you can ignore anything further NCP throw at you (including debt collector letters).

You have dragged them away from contacting the hire company, who might just have paid it, then charged it to your account along with a hefty admin fee. But be aware that PoFA doesn't apply in Scotland, so your references to the Act were misplaced (but NCP don't seem to have much idea about it either) as only the driver can be pursued, and as you don't seem to have identified the driver, NCP are whistling in the wind.

It is vanishingly unlikely (they've never even tried it in England/Wales where they might have a better chance) but don't ignore any (Sheriff) court papers issued - but we're into flying pig airspace now.
    NEWBIES - wise up - DO NOT IGNORE A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE - you have been warned!

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Please note: I am NOT involved in any 'paid for' appeals service.
    • Carthesis
    • By Carthesis 4th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    I note with some amusement they can't decide if they're BPA or IPC members... they subscribe to the BPA COP apparently, but are only offering you access to IAS as ADR?

If you can be bothered, write back to them, point out that as the incident occurred in Scotland (and you live in Scotland?), then there can be no transfer of liability to the Keeper as POFA doesn't apply. Inform them you won't be paying them any money and won't be entering into any further discussion with them.

(Be aware that Contract Hire doesn't make you a hirer - thats for short-term rentals. If it's a new car on contract hire from (say) Ford (or whoever), then even though you've not bought the car outright, it'll still be your name on the V5C as Keeper. Not that it makes any difference in this case.)
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 39,361 Posts
    • 50,977 Thanks
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 12:28 AM
    Just ignore them now, at least you've hooked it away from the Hire co. Fleet Manager so no numpty is going to pay the thing!

Click on the breadcrumb trail, top of page: Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking & READ THE 'NEWBIES' FAQS THREAD.
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• angelmunkie
    • By angelmunkie 11th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    Thank you so much. You are all so helpful. it is much appreciated. Silly me getting the rules mixed up with Scotland. It can get confusing when in a contract hire vehicle!

I will ignore going forward then. Annoyingly, this happened twice ( I was unaware of a new payment system in the car park and made a mistake) and they do keep contacting the contact hire people as they paid it the first time around. I think because I was in a courtesy car at that time so was a different department they just paid the charge. I have not reimbursed them for this (and don't intend to) although they have charged me a 10 admin fee by direct debit

With this one they repeatedly keep sending the PCN to the Contract Hire company direct who keep sending it to me and urging me to deal with it. As I think I have done now so will just ignore everyone now. Ha ha!
    • Carthesis
    • By Carthesis 11th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    You want to be getting on to them and demanding your admin fee back.

If they've just 'paid' it without passing the details on, and without realising that they've no right to pay on your behalf, that's their problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

5,101Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin