Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gill247
    • By Gill247 4th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 151Posts
    • 832Thanks
    Gill247
    Advents?
    • 4th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    Advents? 4th Oct 16 at 1:19 PM
    Saw some regulars talking about the 'advents' coming up before Christmas......what are these? x
    Lucky wins - Rituals Beauty Advent Calendar; Starbucks Coffee & £20 Gift Card; Amazing Hen Weekend at Dunblane Hydro; Heat Magazine Book Bundle; Le Crueset Goodies

Wishing everyone some magic fairy pixie dust for luck!
Page 2
    • rosemac
    • By rosemac 4th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 5,523 Posts
    • 30,980 Thanks
    rosemac
    Off to watch the Yorkshire vet bit more exciting than the Christmas Comps
    • Emily93
    • By Emily93 4th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    Emily93
    I've been excited about the advents since last years finished :P I won an amazing prize last year, HAIR magazines entire gift guide! I had some scattered inbetween, perfumes etc, but it's a running game in my family for Christmas. Whatever I win during December is used as a gift and relatives have had some pretty funny gifts (including a calculator with a little ship floaty bit inside), it's a laugh. Always have a good time even if I don't win anything
    • chrissie57
    • By chrissie57 4th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 118,536 Thanks
    chrissie57
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together... there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you. "
    A.A. Milne

We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on; and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 4th Oct 16, 9:17 PM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 9,148 Thanks
    dontone
    The Advents used to be a lot of fun, but in recent years a lot of them have swapped decent prizes for discounts or naff pictures.
    TBH, it's much more fun reading the threads on the forum when the sob stories are at the peak of their powers and people put daft pictures or their kids/pets/older relatives or whatever else in daft poses/costumes which they think will give them an edge over everybody else on Facebook.
    Anyway, I only want two things to happen this year (other than winning something 'cos I don't do very well on advents, but I might put a pic of my Hound wearing a daft hat as an experiment - you have all been warned, muhahaha) and those 2 things are -

1) The return of the Haggis Hunt

2) The return of the legendary 'Stick-Man' that appeared on here last year.

If those happen, I'll be perfectly happy

Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 4th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 128,578 Thanks
    Moneybot
    The Advents used to be a lot of fun, but in recent years a lot of them have swapped decent prizes for discounts or naff pictures.
    TBH, it's much more fun reading the threads on the forum when the sob stories are at the peak of their powers and people put daft pictures or their kids/pets/older relatives or whatever else in daft poses/costumes which they think will give them an edge over everybody else on Facebook.
    Anyway, I only want two things to happen this year (other than winning something 'cos I don't do very well on advents, but I might put a pic of my Hound wearing a daft hat as an experiment - you have all been warned, muhahaha) and those 2 things are -

1) The return of the Haggis Hunt

2) The return of the legendary 'Stick-Man' that appeared on here last year.

If those happen, I'll be perfectly happy

Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    The haggis hunt - the sweet memories of the haggis cam. The only thing to bring joy to the Advents so cruelly taken from us, how we mourn thee.

ps I also liked the Lufthansa reindeer
    This signature [is] intentionally left blank.

Do not write here.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 4th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 9,148 Thanks
    dontone
    The haggis hunt - the sweet memories of the haggis cam. The only thing to bring joy to the Advents so cruelly taken from us, how we mourn thee.

ps I also liked the Lufthansa reindeer
    Originally posted by Moneybot
    Which one was the Reindeer, I can't remember that one. I like that Santa one that DFDS do, even though it is a bit frustrating when Santa can't jump for toffee

One of my all time favourites was the Jean-Paul Gaultier one. That was hilarious, that need to come back as well.

Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • mansey
    • By mansey 5th Oct 16, 12:42 AM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 5,811 Thanks
    mansey
    The Advents are fab

Ignore what they are all saying

You all go do every Advent

I will just plod along through the boards and hope there are a few less entries on those comps
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 5th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 7,472 Posts
    • 67,267 Thanks
    hamsterfan1
    one year I won every day on the advents, the next year zilch, last year one but I did win more on "normal comps" in Dec
    looking forward to 27/11 I gain a son in law
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 5th Oct 16, 10:56 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 239,877 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Not that i grudge anyone a win but goodness.
    Originally posted by rosemac
    I'm the complete opposite, I grudge everyone that wins if it means I didn't

Even that Beauty Base fiasco yesterday, I got myself in a tiff 'cause I didn't get a winning email, even though all the winning emails were sent in error
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 5th Oct 16, 2:52 PM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 14,880 Thanks
    Blueyez
    Anyone ever do the Flamedeer over on HDUK? it drove me nuts.
    • Moneybot
    • By Moneybot 5th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 128,578 Thanks
    Moneybot
    Which one was the Reindeer, I can't remember that one. I like that Santa one that DFDS do, even though it is a bit frustrating when Santa can't jump for toffee

One of my all time favourites was the Jean-Paul Gaultier one. That was hilarious, that need to come back as well.

Be Lucky
    Originally posted by dontone
    It was the one where you had reindeers in a pen and you got things for them like hats.

I think you could win something but I didn't really care I just loved the reindeer.
    This signature [is] intentionally left blank.

Do not write here.
    • sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 6th Oct 16, 9:24 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 239,877 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Speaking of advents, who's name is in the hat this year?

(Baggsy not me!, I've done my time )
    • diddlydoop
    • By diddlydoop 6th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 826,147 Thanks
    diddlydoop

Originally posted by sleepyjones
    But you were so efficient last year Go on you know you wanna
    • hertzyabazas
    • By hertzyabazas 6th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 24,619 Posts
    • 4,535,963 Thanks
    hertzyabazas

Me neither!
    Don't mind finding and posting the comps but the dedication and stoicism to keep it running smoothly is way beyond me!

It's been expertly run over the last few years and whoever takes the mantle this year has hard acts to follow. No pressure!
    Last edited by hertzyabazas; 06-10-2016 at 9:38 AM.
    • Little Muvva
    • By Little Muvva 11th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Little Muvva
    I love the advents! I do them religiously every year and usually win at least one thing. Last year £500 Armani voucher which I used in the January sales and got about £2k worth of stuff!

Bring 'em on!!!
    1/1/10 total debt £4,311. Debt today £1,082
    [COLOR=magenta][COLOR=blue]
    • jaibaby
    • By jaibaby 12th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 213,641 Thanks
    jaibaby

I was just looking for that same info. I need to be ready to go early this year, have so much on in the next coming months so need to be stressfree-ing less than last year

Come on guys, who's going to be our Christmas Hero this year? You know how warm and gooey it'll feel doing some good for others
    2015 wins: £2741.29 / £2015

Thanks to all posters
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 12th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 20,047 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    I did the advents last year for the first time and did everyone going. I won loads but this year i need a life so i will only be picking the good ones out that i can use etc lol. It took my whole December over on top of normal comping. I was dreaming about comps, Even when i went to my mums i would get up at early just to get them done. I swear i lost hair last December lol.
    DEC WINS: Gorgeous diffuser, lip balms Jelly belly FB, £6 of scratch cards FB, Won Mulberry Gift Box Hamper!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

552Posts Today

3,585Users online

Martin's Twitter