Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pjjafc
    • By pjjafc 4th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 230Posts
    • 59Thanks
    pjjafc
    SkyQ question...
    • 4th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    SkyQ question... 4th Oct 16 at 11:41 AM
    I've just had SkyQ installed. I have an HDMI lead and a ethernet cable buried in the wall. The HDMI lead I have buried isn't strong enough to take the 4K feed so the picture jumps. We've had to put a 4K HDMI lead on the outside of the wall but it looks messy.

Does anyone if you can push a signal through the ethernet or is there any other solution or am I looking like pulling the plaster off the wall.....

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 3,427 Thanks
    teddysmum
    There are actually 4 types of HDMI cable, not 2.

Standard (Category 1)
    Highspeed (Category 2)
    Standard with Ethernet
    Highspeed with Ethernet

The Ethernet versions have an additional channel.

Despite what people say, better quality cables, can make a difference. But mainly just in the length of the cable that will work. It doesn't make a difference to visual quality
    Originally posted by Cycrow

So, if your cable will be short (about 1metre), there is no gain from buying a better quality cable ?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 18th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 6,503 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    almillar
    So, if your cable will be short (about 1metre), there is no gain from buying a better quality cable ?
    Sortof. I think there should be two general rules you should follow:
    1. The shorter the length, the lower quality cable you can get away with.
    2. The lower the resolution (and frequency/frame rate), the lower quality cable you can get away with.

So, 1080p on a metre, £1
    4K over 5m, price goes up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin