Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trevrev3
    • By trevrev3 4th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    trevrev3
    chargeback
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:49 AM
    chargeback 4th Oct 16 at 10:49 AM
    I made a successful chargeback claim against tsb in the wake of the lowcosthioliday collapse. I was pleasantly surprised how quick my money landed back in my account however several weeks later I have received a letter from tsb telling me that the money will be re-debited from my account if tsb fail to recover it. does anyone know at what point is it safe to spend the money?
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 4th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 2,568 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    Its sounds like it might not be, I cant see how they can recover it?
    • trevrev3
    • By trevrev3 4th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    trevrev3
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    I agree but surely there must be some time bar at which point they cant take it back??
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 4th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 7,779 Posts
    • 4,737 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 4th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    Six years.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 5,050 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 4th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 7:14 PM
    If it's a credit card you make a S75 claim if they take the money back.
    • trevrev3
    • By trevrev3 6th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    trevrev3
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    chargeback
    • 6th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    I should have mentioned its a debit card. do I really have to wait 6 years to spend the money? I,ll try to get to a branch this weekend, see if I can get an answer. if I do I,ll post it here.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 23,176 Posts
    • 10,530 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 6th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    I should have mentioned its a debit card. do I really have to wait 6 years to spend the money? I,ll try to get to a branch this weekend, see if I can get an answer. if I do I,ll post it here.
    Originally posted by trevrev3
    You will be wasting your time - branch staff won't be able to help or influence something that may or not happen in the future.
    If they have refunded you - leave it at that - get on with your life - much more important things to worry about.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • trevrev3
    • By trevrev3 12th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    trevrev3
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 11:57 AM
    branch have given me a number to call...watch this space
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 12th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 23,176 Posts
    • 10,530 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    branch have given me a number to call...watch this space
    Originally posted by trevrev3
    Which I advised you that they would - you could have phoned them from home without going into the branch.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    I don't actually want to give you false hope here if I am wrong, but I just want to say that I think they have to say that just to cover their backs if something ever happened.

I was victim to nearly £1500 in 2015 after £1000 went via PayPal to a gambling website I frequently used, and the rest came straight out of my First Direct account. FD said it wasn't fraudulent and didn't want to pay me back, so when I made a complaint, the lady informed me she would refund me the money and issue chargebacks to PayPal and William Hill (the gambling website) but I had to sign a form that if PayPal or William Hill could prove that it wasn't fraudulent within 60 days, they'd claim the money back from me. Well I signed it, sent it back and withdrew all that money and put it into separate accounts, holding no money in my First Direct until 4/5 months later. I just looked one day and realised I'd forgotten all about the 60 day thing and so I moved everything back over.

So I think they do just say that to cover their backs. PayPal promised me they could prove that these payments weren't fraudulent, but the bank obviously ignored them and fought my case
    • trevrev3
    • By trevrev3 25th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    trevrev3
    at last...tsb have just told me that the 56 day deadline has passed and I can spend my money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,627Posts Today

7,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin