Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 4th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 1,705Posts
    • 4,478Thanks
    northwest1965
    Attendance Allowance
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    Attendance Allowance 4th Oct 16 at 10:44 AM
    Dad lives with Mum and both have care needs. Do they both have to apply for attendance Allowance? Dad currently gets it. Is it per household or per person?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
Page 1
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 4th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    greyfox
    • 4th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    It's per person.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 15,201 Posts
    • 35,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    Information here:
    https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 5th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    northwest1965
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 9:42 AM
    Thanks, gave printed the form off. Will look later or get help from Age Concern.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 15,201 Posts
    • 35,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    We applied for Attendance Allowance for my Mum a few years ago.

We were very thorough in answering the questions, we provided examples of what she couldn't do and why she needed help.

DWP rejected the claim with a load of .....well, basically ......nonsense.
    For example, they said she could 'do things at her own speed'.
    When someone is on life-critical medication and forgets to take that medication, 'own speed' is a load of tosh.

We appealed the decision, I did a 5 page letter detailing where we'd provided examples in the questions that they'd rejected and they approved the application.

It might be how you answer the questions, getting advice from Age UK or CAB is probably a good idea.

Is Adult Social Services involved with your Mum's care?
    When my Dad was diagnosed with dementia, I phoned the county council and they assigned a worker to him, did a 'care budget' and we also had a visit from the local cottage hospital to assess what Dad needed at home.
    They supplied grab rails and a stool for the bath.

Carer's Allowance - if the criteria is met and depending on the claimant's circumstances - could be claimed if the AA claims are successful.

Are you sure your Mum & Dad are getting all the benefits they are entitled to?
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 5th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    northwest1965
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 5th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    Mum has moderate stage Alzheimer's. & rheumatoid arthritis. She can pretty much make some breakfast & a cup of tea. Because of the Alzheimer's she has to be reminded to eat. Cannot go out unaided. Cannot shower alone.
    I am waiting for adult social care to do an assessment. Dad gets a partial carers allowance and attendance Allowance. The council will do a benefit check. If Mum gets attendance Allowance then she also gets a council tax reduction due to Alzheimer's.
    • mad_spaniel
    • By mad_spaniel 9th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    mad_spaniel
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    When filling out my Mum's AA claim form, I adopted the approach "what kind of state/ what difficulties would mum have/ be in, if left to her own devices in the house on her own" i.e. family often do things for loved ones without even thinking of it as care or supervision.
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 24th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    northwest1965
    • 24th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    • 24th Oct 16, 12:30 PM
    I am waiting for Age Concern to come and help fill the form out. They have to do it before Nov 16th. I don't think that they get a carers allowance, should I be asking Age Concern to check if they are eligible when they come out?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 3,426 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 28th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    • 28th Oct 16, 5:48 PM
    I am waiting for Age Concern to come and help fill the form out. They have to do it before Nov 16th. I don't think that they get a carers allowance, should I be asking Age Concern to check if they are eligible when they come out?
    Originally posted by northwest1965
    It's the person doing the care who gets carer's allowance , because 35 hours of care limit their capacity to work. https://www.independentage.org/information/money/benefits/carers-allowance?gclid=CIOwu_H5_c8CFUmeGwodKP4CDQ
    • malid
    • By malid 2nd Nov 16, 7:49 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    malid
    Northwest1965 - fill the form in yourself. It's not difficult and you will be best placed to answer the questions not an outsider.
    Don't let them grind you down; fight for your rights
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Nov 16, 8:30 AM
    • 15,201 Posts
    • 35,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Northwest1965 - fill the form in yourself. It's not difficult and you will be best placed to answer the questions not an outsider.
    Originally posted by malid
    It's not just about answering the questions, it's about phrasing your answers in the right way.
    That's where Age UK or CAB can provide valuable - and free - assistance.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Nov 16, 9:23 AM
    • 6,952 Posts
    • 4,401 Thanks
    Biggles
    It's not just about answering the questions, it's about phrasing your answers in the right way.
    That's where Age UK or CAB can provide valuable - and free - assistance.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I would endorse that. It's essential to have someone with some experience help with the form unless it's a totally obvious case; and it rarely is.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 2nd Nov 16, 9:56 AM
    • 20,670 Posts
    • 52,583 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Another supporter of asking an Age UK worker to help.

A lovely guy from Age UK did it for my aunt. He said it was like pulling teeth to get information from her, but he asked for a list of her medication and did the form from that, too.

Success.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 2nd Nov 16, 12:49 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    ibizafan
    My parents who are 85 and 89 both receive Attendance Allowance. Someone from a local support service filled the forms out with them. It definitely helps to have someone who knows what they are looking for to help. I know people who have filled the forms out themselves and been refused, although their condition warranted their getting it.
    • JuneBow
    • By JuneBow 2nd Nov 16, 4:45 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    JuneBow
    It definitely helps getting someone to fill in the forms.
    Very often people underestimate the help they need, and also because they are already living "restricted" lives, they view this as the norm, so may seem that no help is required.
    As well as this, it is about how long it takes to do a task.
    For example, a "normal" person may take 5 minutes to get dressed. But, for someone with a disability, it may take three or four times that. They may not say that do not need help because they are doing it themselves, but in fact they DO need help because it is not normal to take 20 minutes to get dressed.
    Hope that makes sense.
    The charities know exactly how to complete these forms.
    • northwest1965
    • By northwest1965 2nd Nov 16, 4:46 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 4,478 Thanks
    northwest1965
    Age concern are going to do it next week and if successful which I am sure we will be, it will be back dated to the day i phoned Age Concern
    • malid
    • By malid 2nd Nov 16, 5:18 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    malid
    Great to see so many praising and recommending the services of Age Concern and others. I only suggested doing it yourself because I have previously completed the forms for two elderly relatives and both were approved by DWP. However. I understand that some prefer assistance and that's fine when it's free. Good luck.
    Don't let them grind you down; fight for your rights
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,102Posts Today

5,433Users online

Martin's Twitter