Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    • 13,683Posts
    • 33,224Thanks
    elsien
    Exercise with a knackered knee?
    • 4th Oct 16, 9:12 AM
    Exercise with a knackered knee? 4th Oct 16 at 9:12 AM
    I used to do a bit of jogging to keep fit, but having hurt my knee 9 months ago and waiting for tests to see what damage I've done, at the moment I can't do anything higher impact that a brisk walk. And that still hurts.

I'm at work in the day, but might be able to manage the odd evening class if I could think of anything suitable. I am not a gym type of person - running suited because I could just get ready and go without having to faff around going somewhere at set times. Swimming is difficult, in part because I do breast stroke which probably wouldn't help, but mainly because the chances of me motivating myself to get out of bed at 6.30 for the early morning session are somewhere between zero and nonexistent.
    However my waistline is definitely expanding so I need to do something. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by elsien; 04-10-2016 at 9:15 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Page 1
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 4th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    fireblade28
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:12 PM
    Okay.

1)Start rehab on your knee immediately. 9 months is too long to wait. If you have to see a private physio at least for a few sessions that will help. Most knee issues are either to the ligaments or the meniscus. Physio will be able to diagnose and you can get started with rehab right away. NHS is useless when it comes to sport stuff, most doctors don't know what they are doing as they are ill educated in this sector.

Sounds like a meniscus tear if you are still experiencing pain but you will need to get that checked out asap!!

2)Low impact choices are either cycling, rowing or cross training. Probably cycling is best Can you cycle to and back from work? Can you buy a stationary bike and cycle while in front of the tv in the evenings?

I actually think the swimming at 6.30 is the best choice tbh. Sure you may not want to but increasing discipline is never ever a bad thing.

3)To reduce expanding waistline reduce calories. Exercise will help but only to a certain extent weight is mostly dictated by food intake. Sounds common sense but you are eating too much for your current activity level.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 4th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 3,845 Posts
    • 7,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:31 PM
    Do you have to swim in the morning?

Is there a pool you can go to in the evening? Maybe take your stuff with you to work and go straight after work, saves the temptation to stay inside once you get home.

If you can't use your knee for the whole session you can buy floats that will hold your legs in place which will just give your front half exercise.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 04-10-2016 at 2:34 PM.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 4th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 30,518 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    I sympathise as I gave up running because of my knee (and never went back). Kettlercise worked for me, it's amazing in terms of fitness and strength and because you are doing a wide range of different movements it works the whole body. I am just very careful never to do any move that involve jumping.

After two years of kettlercise twice a week without a twinge I started cycling then because my bike wasn't set up properly I started having problems again. On the advice of a physiotherapist I started Pilates too to help strengthen the muscles around my knee.

I went from struggling to walk the dog to two kettlercise classes, one Pilates class and around 50 miles of cycling each week without any pain in my knee. I would see a private physiotherapist if you can and follow their advice to the letter.

Good luck.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Oct 16, 11:24 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 33,224 Thanks
    elsien
    • 4th Oct 16, 11:24 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 11:24 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    My job involves a lot of driving round so cycling to work is out and with collecting and walking the dog I rarely get home before 7 / 7.30 so any classes before then would be difficult. Then there's eating to fit in somewhere.
    I need to retire.
    I agree about eating differently, but weight has previously never been an issue, I've always been underweight if anything, so being more careful is completely new and a bit of a shock to the system. Still getting my head round it.

Now to find a physio who works evenings or weekends who isn't booked up for months.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Rosie1978
    • By Rosie1978 10th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    Rosie1978
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    Ah you have my sympathies - knee problems are a pain in the ... somewhere that isn't your knee!

I was born with what a knee deformity that wasn't diagnosed until I was well into my thirties. I have big cartriledge and grindy problems, so I feel your pain...

I'd echo the sentiments above - a good physio is very important. I'd also agree that swimming will be worth getting up for if you can, and cycling too!

I've learned to buy decent footwear as well, and to avoid anything that may impact my knee like running or jumping, or anything overly 'twisty' like dance classes.

If you are able to afford it, it may be a good idea to book one session at least with a personal trainer. It doesn't have to cost the earth and they can give great advice on what exercises you can safely do. I've found that lifting weights with the right guidance has helped my knee no end by strengthening the muscles around the knee.

Hope you mend quickly!
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 10th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 5,104 Posts
    • 5,484 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    In the past 19 years I have had both knee joints replaced and a full revision on one of them.

I don't go cycling on the roads now (old age and lunatic motorists) but I still do 20 mins a day on a good (and expensive ) exesise byke.

Best of luck!
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 10th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 1,796 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    Something like what Curves do (not sure if you are female as they are women only!) might be good - I have tendonitis which flares up intermittently and find jogging etc too much impact. But Curves have hydraulic strength/toning machines which I find don't put any impact on my knee and still give a decent cardio workout as well as strength. Worth a look if relevant to you!

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with swimming.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 1,703 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 10th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    Swimming is difficult, in part because I do breast stroke which probably wouldn't help,
    Originally posted by elsien
    I appreciate the early morning difficulties (!), but could you, as a short term measure with a finite end, do a course to learn the crawl? Basically it's different breathing with your head more submerged, but still just swimming! Even if you didn't continue you'd have benefited, and have one less excuse _not_ to go swimming. (Personally the early morning bit would be enough for me.. )

Do you do any specific knee strengthening exercises? I'm a veteran footballer and skier so have to be careful with knees so do exercises such as sitting on a table and lifting weights (i.e. plastic bag with bags of flour or sugar in it) with my foot.

Cycling, as mentioned, but as also mentioned do get the set up right.
    • Jackieboy
    • By Jackieboy 10th Oct 16, 7:23 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    Jackieboy
    Aquarobics or similar water based excercise.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 33,224 Thanks
    elsien
    Thanks for all the replies, it's been helpful.

Slight progress - MRI scan in a couple of weeks, although I've heard it can be a while to get any results. Do you think I should wait for that before seeing a physio? So far no knee exercises done at all because I wouldn't know where to start.

Checked the swimming pool and it's either 6.30 -8 or Wed evenings. Might just about be doable on a working from home day as I still need to fit in the pre-work dog walk. Not convinced I'm motivated enough to get my backside out of bed though, especially when the clocks change. I did try aqua fit once, but it wasn't for me - much rather go for a proper swim.

I've not heard of curves but googling it there isn't one near me.
    I am interested in Pilates, (my core strength has evaporated!) and there does seem to be one evening class, so that might be something else to try for starters.
    This is just a bad time of year for anything outdoorsy - I'm far better in the summer at getting my act together.

• custardy
    • By custardy 20th Oct 16, 1:44 PM
    • 31,508 Posts
    • 26,185 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks for all the replies, it's been helpful.

Slight progress - MRI scan in a couple of weeks, although I've heard it can be a while to get any results. Do you think I should wait for that before seeing a physio? So far no knee exercises done at all because I wouldn't know where to start.

Checked the swimming pool and it's either 6.30 -8 or Wed evenings. Might just about be doable on a working from home day as I still need to fit in the pre-work dog walk. Not convinced I'm motivated enough to get my backside out of bed though, especially when the clocks change. I did try aqua fit once, but it wasn't for me - much rather go for a proper swim.

I've not heard of curves but googling it there isn't one near me.
    I am interested in Pilates, (my core strength has evaporated!) and there does seem to be one evening class, so that might be something else to try for starters.
    This is just a bad time of year for anything outdoorsy - I'm far better in the summer at getting my act together.
    Originally posted by elsien
    When I'm at the gym I use the ascent trainer to loosen/work my dodgy knee.

This moves in a more circular motion vs a cross trainer with its more back & forth movement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,924Users online

Martin's Twitter