Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 3rd Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    • 443Posts
    • 222Thanks
    TheShape
    We're gonna need a bigger letter box!
    • 3rd Oct 16, 8:45 PM
    We're gonna need a bigger letter box! 3rd Oct 16 at 8:45 PM
    I am well into Savings Loophole activity as well as a little stoozing. I was prepared for the task of managing my accounts online, what I hadn't prepared myself for was the sheer volume of mail generated.

I used to receive a few items of mail per month but I'm receiving at least something every day.

I had 9 items just today, one from Nationwide, three from Tesco and FIVE from First Direct. The postman must wonder what's going on.
Page 1
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 3rd Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Hattie625
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:31 PM
    Similar experience here.

But it's none of the postie's business, is it? ��
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 4th Oct 16, 6:37 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    • 4th Oct 16, 6:37 AM
    • 4th Oct 16, 6:37 AM
    Go paperless?

Ive got scores of CA, RS etc type of accounts and don't get things everyday.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 4th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    Go paperless?

Ive got scores of CA, RS etc type of accounts and don't get things everyday.
    Originally posted by veryintrigued
    I'm "paperless" but still Halifax send me at least one letter a week advertising some product or other. Still, it makes me feel wanted.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 4th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    TheShape
    • 4th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    I know it will die down with mostly online banking.

It's Tesco with two current accounts, two savings and one credit card along with DD with a current account and two savers which has generated most correspondence. I obviously expected the cards, PINS etc but didn't necessarilyexpect a separate welcome pack for each product.

FD sent three separate letters re an arrangement with the US tax authorities to check I was registered in the UK for tax purposes. Haven't had similar from other institutions.

FDs First Account welcome pack was also ridiculously oversized and got returned to the sorting office.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 4th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 3,480 Thanks
    badger09
    • 4th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    I'm "paperless" but still Halifax send me at least one letter a week advertising some product or other. Still, it makes me feel wanted.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Then you need to change your marketing preferences with Halifax
    • firsttimemover
    • By firsttimemover 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    firsttimemover
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    It's Tesco's need to send each direct debit instruction confirmation individually that gets me. We got 12 in one day when I set up the DDs for our BOS accounts!

Almost makes me feel guilty for "using" them...just almost!

I'm not sure you can opt out of that, as I'm already paperless for those accounts.
    • redux
    • By redux 4th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 15,563 Posts
    • 18,363 Thanks
    redux
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 2:43 PM
    Start thinking a bit further on.

Fund and investment trust annual reports are usually A4 size.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 4th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 3:03 PM
    Then you need to change your marketing preferences with Halifax
    Originally posted by badger09
    Good idea! So I went on their website & I can change email preferences, I can change text preferences, I can even change what they call me. No mention of snail mail though. Never mind, as I said it makes me feel wanted & it's not far from the letterbox to the recycling bin.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Oct 16, 9:49 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I'm paperless and I never get anything through the post. In fact sometimes I think they've forgotten about me. Tesco Bank did though when I opened an account but I dumped them and I never get anything now Oh and Amex sent me an airmail letter from the U.S. of A. telling me about the £10 reward if I recommend someone for their credit card. Stingy eh!
    Saving for Xmas 2017 - A pound a day - 30/365

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that someone isn't out to get you

Unsliced bread: You can have it any thickness you want! The wonders of modern technology.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 4th Oct 16, 11:09 PM
    • 10,841 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    jimjames
    Similar experience here.

But it's none of the postie's business, is it? ��
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    If it keeps them in a job it probably is!

Start thinking a bit further on.

Fund and investment trust annual reports are usually A4 size.
    Originally posted by redux
    Sadly they're ones I look forward to receiving!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 5th Oct 16, 6:43 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    TheBanker
    The last thing I received from Tesco was a letter saying they were reducing the rate on my Internet Saver (yeah, sending letters through the post about an Internet account!)

However, they kindly enclosed a coupon for 1,000 clubcard points to keep me sweet. As I only use their savings accounts to create DDs, so it has a small balance, I was quite happy with this as the clubcard points are worth more than the lost interest.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Oct-16: £88.79 / £310
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 5th Oct 16, 6:44 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    TheBanker
    It's Tesco's need to send each direct debit instruction confirmation individually that gets me. We got 12 in one day when I set up the DDs for our BOS accounts!

I'm not sure you can opt out of that, as I'm already paperless for those accounts.
    Originally posted by firsttimemover
    I don't get these confirmations so there must be a way to opt out somehow.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Oct-16: £88.79 / £310
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 10th Oct 16, 8:11 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders

Originally posted by firsttimemover
    Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised they don't send you one every time you set up a new payee.
    • nirajn123
    • By nirajn123 11th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    nirajn123
    I work in this area for a bank and it costs them circa £1 for each letter, so it is mind boggling that not enough is being done to move people onto emails.

Aside from the cost alone, there is massive environmental impact we should all be concerned about.
    • bonjan
    • By bonjan 11th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    bonjan
    Apply for an HSBC joint account, then apply for one Regular Saver each, then for one Loyalty ISA each, then go on holiday.
    When you return you'll barely be able to open the entrance door due to the mountain of letters that arrived while you were out.
    You might even be able to spot the area of forest that vanished as a result in Google Maps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter