Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michael74
    • By Michael74 3rd Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Michael74
    TalkTalk new prices
    • 3rd Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    TalkTalk new prices 3rd Oct 16 at 6:21 PM
    I have 2 months left on my TT contract, following today's news, I asked an agent if I am now free to to leave penalty free as TT will be effectively increasing my monthly payment by £6, here is the answer a clip from online chat.... I didn't quite believe his suggestion
    _______________________-

my average bill is £20 with calls the new price plan will take me to over £22
    at 16:54, Oct 3:
    (before any calls)

Akash
    at 16:55, Oct 3:
    After adding the new price of simply broadband package and line rental your bill will be £27.95 excluding call charges after 2 months.

at 16:56, Oct 3:
    so your increasing my bills by about £7 thats a big increase and as far as I can see your breaking my contract

Akash
    at 17:00, Oct 3:
    I would suggest you to upgrade your package with Fast broadband at a price of £22.95 for 18 months. You will get a Essential SIM in which you will get 200 minutes free calls, 500 MB data and unlimited text so it will save your call charges every month.
Page 2
    • FLOJO
    • By FLOJO 7th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FLOJO
    I have also received the email about the price increase. My deal was due to expire in January and would have looked to switch then but may as well do it now. As I haven't switched before I am looking for some advice. Do I need to contact talk talk to let them know I wish to cancel and then start the switching process to a new provider, in this case plusnet?
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 7th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    it is definitely against ofcom rules which came into force 2 years ago

and my email will be:-

I note you have emailed me today informing me of a price increase

as you are aware but omitted to mention this in your email, this is a mid contract price increase.

therefore as per ofcom rules I will be leaving without penalty having decided that I don't want to pay the new price
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 7th Oct 16, 1:53 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    I have done the online chat and confirmed ofcom rules to them and have proof of the online chat.
    Last edited by Etccarmageddon; 07-10-2016 at 1:57 PM.
    • jh376
    • By jh376 7th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jh376
    How did they react? They wouldn't accept it from me and are getting a manager to call me later today. I've got everything I need to hand, just hope it works.
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 7th Oct 16, 2:44 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    I have also received the email about the price increase. My deal was due to expire in January and would have looked to switch then but may as well do it now. As I haven't switched before I am looking for some advice. Do I need to contact talk talk to let them know I wish to cancel and then start the switching process to a new provider, in this case plusnet?
    Originally posted by FLOJO
    The advice I received is in this thread, do not cancel!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5534586

Fortyfoot
    • Etccarmageddon
    • By Etccarmageddon 7th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    Etccarmageddon
    How did they react? They wouldn't accept it from me and are getting a manager to call me later today. I've got everything I need to hand, just hope it works.
    Originally posted by jh376

me

" I note you have emailed me today informing me of a price increase as you are aware but omitted to mention this in your email, this is a mid contract price increase.

therefore as per ofcom rules I will be leaving to go to another provider without penalty having decided that I don't want to pay the new price"

them "I understand"

"There is no need to leave as we offer the fixed price plan."
    "This will be fixed for 18 months."

me " no thank you and good bye"

them "We promise to fix your price for 18 months, all in one low price which includes line rental.

You'll have peace of mind, the price you see is what you'll pay fixed for 18 months."

me " no thank you, I'm going now as I have work to do thank you

them "Alright, is there anything you want me to help you with?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Oct 16, 3:23 PM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 3,429 Thanks
    teddysmum
    All the new prices now include rental charges so are you saying it is not worth using line rental saver anymore?
    Originally posted by Terry98

No.

I understand, from reading , that people who have saver will be able to keep it , provided they start another before the present one runs out (ie no gaps), but new customers cannot have it.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 5,806 Posts
    • 3,429 Thanks
    teddysmum
    me

" I note you have emailed me today informing me of a price increase as you are aware but omitted to mention this in your email, this is a mid contract price increase.

therefore as per ofcom rules I will be leaving to go to another provider without penalty having decided that I don't want to pay the new price"

them "I understand"

"There is no need to leave as we offer the fixed price plan."
    "This will be fixed for 18 months."

me " no thank you and good bye"

them "We promise to fix your price for 18 months, all in one low price which includes line rental.

You'll have peace of mind, the price you see is what you'll pay fixed for 18 months."

me " no thank you, I'm going now as I have work to do thank you

them "Alright, is there anything you want me to help you with?
    Originally posted by Etccarmageddon
    I rang them as a prospective new customer and they tried telling me that a price increase, but fixed for 18 months, was a better option than before.

Utter nonsense.

This is all because of lots of idiots raving about paying for a line they don't use, not realising that an all in deal takes away bargaining power at the end of their fixed term and the price for cheap broadband with a separate line charge will be the same of less tan they are going to pay, now.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 07-10-2016 at 3:29 PM.
    • Silvercloud
    • By Silvercloud 9th Oct 16, 5:12 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Silvercloud
    I've been with TT for 3 months and,unhappy with their service am using this price hike as an opportunity to get out of my contract penalty free (as their customer service adviser indeed confirmed I could).

Unfortunately it was the only time I managed to speak to a customer adviser and she wouldn't or couldn't deal with it and told me to contact their cancellation team on 0345 172 0088,the same number I had called her on.

Well,I've been trying for two days to get through to someone but despite numerous time wasting attempts spent listening to their 'on hold' music no one will answer (I imagine they're busy with the desperate hordes trying to jump ship).

I want to cancel by the end of today (to take advantage of BT's offer which ends Tuesday) but TT's website says you must do so by ringing them;mmmmmmmm,circle of death.
    • bsod
    • By bsod 9th Oct 16, 5:37 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    bsod
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/03/half-talktalk-customers-price-rises-all-in-pricing

"The company said existing customers on better “deals” can keep those discounted prices until they expire."
    • jh376
    • By jh376 9th Oct 16, 5:41 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jh376
    So after my web chat earlier this week, a manager called me to 'explain' the situation. Frankly, I can't be bothered with changes, even if they're for the better... I just wanted out.

Despite being told on web chat that I couldn't get out mid-contract penalty free, the manager on the phone said I was right (after he put me on hold and consulted someone for a moment). He did attempt to offer me something else, but he was literally throwing random numbers... I wasn't interested.

He finally put me through to cancellations, who were more aggressive and tried to keep me (despite saying from the offset, politely, I'm not interested I just want to leave). After 5 minutes, he conceded, and went ahead with the cancellation penalty-free. I had the option to leave and let another ISP deal with taking on my connection, but I'm quite happy to lose my services as I was planning to move out anyway...

So, anyone who has had a price hike, tell them about the Ofcom rules since 2014 stating that customers can leave mid-contract penalty free if their monthly cost has increased. Just keep repeating 'this is penalty free, isn't it?' whenever you're handed to a new person, to make sure no one can be mistaken.
    Last edited by jh376; 09-10-2016 at 5:43 AM.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Oct 16, 2:37 PM
    • 30,254 Posts
    • 35,814 Thanks
    Browntoa
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5539439
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,692Posts Today

7,032Users online

Martin's Twitter