Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 3rd Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 120Thanks
    annbarbs
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.
    • 3rd Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. 3rd Oct 16 at 5:28 PM
    The title says it all.
    I was meant to receive my money 2 weeks ago but now it has all gone horrible wrong and I have not got my money and now it seems there is no way I can get it.

Not because my sisters does not want to send it to me but because my sisters bank refused to let her do the payment.

Here is the story-

Just to recap-
    As some of you may know from my last threads here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495130

My mother died last November 2015 and has left me and my 2 other sisters both her house and some money in her will.
    So my sisters and I each inheritance a third of the money from the house sale plus £25,00.

My 2 sisters are both executors of my mothers will and both the money from the house sale and the rest of my mothers money she left us was paid into the executors account.
    Which is a joint account in both my sisters names.
    So from what I understand my sisters are the ones who pay me the money since they are both executors but I am not. I am only a beneficiary.

So I do not have the right to sell the house or handle the distribution of funds, only my sister can do that.
    So my sisters are supposed to send my third share to me as is the terms of mum's will.

Well 2 weeks ago one of my sisters I will call Sister A phoned me to tell me my mothers house has been sold and that the money was ready to be paid out to me along with the other money 25k which I also inherit.

So I gave my sister my bank details so that she could pay the money direct into my bank account.
    Which I am happy to do because I would rather my inheritance was paid directly to me instead of my Solicitor, then when I get it I will pay my Solicitor.

But now it has all gone wrong and I have not got my money.
    Because when my sister went to her bank the next morning(2 weeks ago) to try to send me the money by a CHAPS payment, her bank told her they will not let her do the payment unless my other sister can come with her to the bank in person.

And the problem is that my other sister cannot go with my sister to the bank because she has had a mental breakdown and is being held in a psychiatric hospital under a Section of the mental Health Act and is too ill to do it.

Sister A who is single and was living in the house is the one who is trying to pay me my money.

My other Sister Sister B is the married sisters and is the one who is currently being held in a psychiatric hospital under Section.
    And I have had telephone conversations with Sister A and she says that the mental Health crisis team say that my other sister is in not fit sate to sign anything at the bank and lacks the mental compacity to do so.

The money from my mother will and sale of the house is being held in the executors account and it seems my sister is wiling to pay me my full share of my inheritance.

But her bank which is Barclays bank, won't let her do it without my other sister being with her in person at the bank because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

And even though my sister told her bank the situation her bank won't budge.
    The bank won't let my sister send any money to me unless my other sister can also come to the bank in person to sign or do the translation.
    And Barclays bank refuse to relent on this.

So now my situation is this, my inheritance is stuck in the executors account and there is NO WAY I can access it.

Not because my sister won't pay me but because my sister bank won't let my sister release the money to me without my other sister being present with my sister at the bank in person.
    Because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

My sister wants to pay me the money but my bank won't let her make the payment to me without the other sister being there with her at the bank.

But because my other sister is in hospital and is not well enough to go to the bank with my other sister or sign for anything.
    It seems there is no way I can get my inheritance unless My sisters bank relents which they won't.

And if my sister is in hospital for months and months which she could be.Or is so ill that she ever gets better,
    Then how the hell am I going to get my Inheritance?

Since my sisters bank told my sister they won't let her make any payments to me unless my other sisters can also came to the bank to sign?

But mum left me that money in her will and I have the will to prove it.
    So it's my money my sisters bank are holding that they won't release to me.
    Which is £118k, and the bank won't let my well sister send me the money because of some stupid RED Tape.

So what the hell do I do now since my Solicitor has not said much about this?
    And if my other sister never gets better then how do I get my money??

What legal action can I take to get my sisters bank to release my inheritance to me,since they won't even let my sister send the payment to me?
Page 8
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 10th Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    Caroline_a

If that happens my Solicitor says he will take my sisters to court.
    Originally posted by annbarbs
    And if this happens it's very unlikely that you'll get any money as the legal fees will probably run into the 10s of thousands.

Have you asked your solicitor what his bill currently stands at?
    • securityguy
    • By securityguy 10th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    securityguy
    "If that happens my Solicitor says he will take my sisters to court."

No. You will take your sisters to court, by paying him to do so. By paying him handsomely.

You appear to have a solicitor who is very happy to keep you going to him, paying him each time. He wants you to be paid, so that he is paid. None of the legal bills you have so far incurred will come from the estate, they are all bills you will have to pay, directly. Have you asked your solicitor what the current bill is? Every time you speak to him, that's at least fifty quid. He presumably is a bit short of work, so is happy to be working as a sounding board for you, at several hundred quid an hour.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 10th Oct 16, 11:49 AM
    • 1,196 Posts
    • 1,583 Thanks
    Malthusian
    No No No.
    If I get my money then I will use it to move up North as I have planned and try to make a better life for myself.
    You won't have a better life up North. You will still be stressed out and anxious, probably homesick on top of that, and you will have moved away from all your support networks. The benefit of the lower cost of living up North will be marginal. The amount of money you will have left won't sustain you for long so you will be back on benefits sooner than you think. And you may struggle to claim housing benefit on deprivation of capital grounds.

It is a blessing in disguise that your sister is too ill to release your money because you do not sound as if you are in a fit state of mind to handle a large sum of money sensibly.

This may sound harsh but I'm not in a position to give you psychiatric help, I can only say what I think you should do. Which is to forget the money for now and concentrate on seeking help for your mental health issues.
    • mrmechanic
    • By mrmechanic 10th Oct 16, 3:21 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    mrmechanic
    Ann, yet again you have completely ignored all the advice given to you over the last few days.
    You were told to take a step back and do not contact lawyers or your sister for 2-3 weeks.
    You have again been in touch with your lawyer increasing your legal bill ,( have you ANY idea what this is going to cost you?"

You then contact your sister by telephone after 9pm at night, no wonder she hung up on you and didn't want to speak to you.
    Then you keep phoning her back, if she hung up the first time what makes you think she would want to speak to you the next time you rung her?At this rate you will never be able to rebuild any form of relationship with either of them.
    You really are not doing yourself any favours and are only making this situation worse.
    I feel this isn't going to be resolved for you in the near future as you are just throwing fuel on the fire.
    I also do not think anyone here can give you any more help than has already been given.
    Only when you actually start to take on board the advice given will this situation start to sort itself out.
    Its entirely in your hands, YOU need to take on board what has been advised or you will find it very difficult to understand the final outcome of the funds removed from your inheritance to cover your legal bill.
    And this WILL be down to YOUR actions and no one else.

Last post from me, I am out as feel you still won't "get it" but hope you seek help for your health foremost and leave the inheritance well alone for now.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
    • marcelli
    • By marcelli 10th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    marcelli
    Perhaps you could write a short letter to your sister, saying you are sorry for getting worked up, and that you understand she is in a difficult position too, and that you understand she has to sort this executorship mess out with the probate court/solicitor or whoever and that it may take a little while, and if there is anything she needs/wants of you, just for her to let you know - something along those lines maybe. I think you will feel better if you can express yourself to her without getting upset. It also gives her the nod that you know there are procedures, so that should the worst come to the worst and she does try to stop your inheritance (which by the way does seem unlikely as she and the other sister have shown enough goodwill to foot your share of the conveyancing fees), then and only then could you legitimately pursue the estate for the money that is due to you.
    It occurred to me that your solicitor might not be responding to you as he will then have to charge you for the time and maybe he thinks he has explained the situation to you.
    It is awful to feel so alone, but you have had the courage to bare your soul to people here, and am sure once you can get a grip of all the many aspects of this, then you will find some sort of stability. Sad to say, there is not a lot of stability in the world, but having someone to share your troubles with always seems to be the best sort of basis - a trouble shared is a trouble halved, some say solved. Best foot forward, and all that.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 12th Oct 16, 8:28 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    To update everybody here I have found out that my sisters have not taken their third share of their inheritance as I thought.
    So it appears I was wrong about that.
    I thought she had but she has not.

My sister relied to my email today in which I asked her this and she said her's and my other sisters money is stuck in the executors account the same as mine is.

So my sister is in the same boat as me, she cannot get her inheritance until my other sister gets out of hospital and is well enough to go to the bank with her to sign for it.
    My sister has also confirmed this to my Solicitor who wrote to her.

At least I know that now and because my sister also cannot get her money, I hope that means that she will work to resolve this problem. Since she cannot get her inheritance either without the other sister.

"If that happens my Solicitor says he will take my sisters to court."
    No. You will take your sisters to court, by paying him to do so. By paying him handsomely.
    Yes that's true if I had to take my sisters to court it would bump up my legal bill and I would have to pay for it out of my inheritance.
    So it is better that this gets sorted out without having to go to court.

I think what I should do now is give my sisters say 4 weeks to see if my sister gets out of hospital.
    As she may then be well enough to go to the bank with my well sister.
    If not then contact my Solicitor again to ask what to do next.

But I think there is no point in my sister going to the Court Of protection now.
    Because the judge won't do anything
    They would say that my sister has only been in hospital for a week but she could get better.

The Court Of Protection is only if my sister is ill for a long time and does not regain mental complicity.

But my sister told me in her email that she has been in hospital before and when she takes her medication she recovers.
    So I hope it is the case this time.

I think I should just wait and see what happens.
    I have waited so long for my inheritance so another few weeks is not going make any difference.

You won't have a better life up North. You will still be stressed out and anxious, probably homesick on top of that, and you will have moved away from all your support networks. The benefit of the lower cost of living up North will be marginal.
    I don't have any support here.
    The CMHT have discharged me 2 years ago and even though I was refereed back again by my last GP. The CMHT still won't take me back and that's not going to change.

That's one of the reason I want to move.
    Because maybe if I moved up North or 2 another area that's not under my health trust, I might get more support.

Also once I get my money all of my benefits will stop except for my DLA.
    And I will have to pay £608 a month rent for my HA flat and all of my Council Tax myself.
    And live off of my savings,as well as the fact that I don't have support from the MH services here.
    Because they won't give me and I have no friends or family here either.

So if I my benefits are to be stopped as they will be when I get my inheritance.
    And as I have lost my parents as I have done(they both died.)
    Also I am not going to get the support I want here,as the CMHT won't take me back.

I might as well use my inheritance to do what I want to do.
    Which is to go up North because I like it better there and the rent is cheaper, so my money will last longer.

Although it is true that whether I stay here and pay the £608 a month rent.
    Or go up North and pay £370 a month rent.
    My money will eventually run out after about 10 or 15 years as it is not enough to last a lifetime.
    So when it does I will have apply for and go back on benefits again.

Because of my MH problems there is no way I can work.
    I cannot work.
    So unfortunately I will have to live off of my savings as all of my benefits will be stopped.

If I was able to work which I am not.
    Then my money would last a lifetime as I would be earning and have money coming in.

But I cannot so I will have to live of of my savings because you cannot benefits if your savings go to 16k as they will be once I get my inheritance.

The amount of money you will have left won't sustain you for long so you will be back on benefits sooner than you think. And you may struggle to claim housing benefit on deprivation of capital grounds.
    Yes that could be, if I stay here as the rent for my HA flat is quite high as I said already.And that will eat up more of my inheritance and I am not happy about that at all.
    But up North it won't be as rents are a lot cheaper.

No that's not true.

HB told me that if I were to move from my HA flat to private rented accommodation, they would pay HB.
    But I would most probably have to pay a shortfall of the rent myself.
    Since with Private lettings HB will only pay the HB for the value of properties in the area.

So if the LHA rate for that are is £90 a week and my rent was £120.
    HB will only pay £90 and I will have to pay the shortfall of the rent myself.
    But I would still get HB and ESA.

But when I get my inheritance as we know both my ESA, CT benefit and HB will be stopped.
    Because savings will be over 16k.
    And I will be expected to live off of my savings and pay rent bills and everything out of my savings.
    But the DWP and HB know that I will be using my savings to live on.

But when my savings fall bellow 16k I would then be able to claim benefits again.
    And I will have the receipts and bank statements to prove that my savings were spent on rent and bills.
    So it's not a voluntary deprivation of capital.

It is the law that when your savings go to £6000 your benefits are cut.
    Then when your savings go to 16k they are stopped and you have to live off your savings.
    It's the same for everyone on benefits whether you are disabled or not.
    Everyone's benefits are stopped when their savings reach 16k as mine will.

As I have said I cannot work so I will have not choice but to live off of my inheritance.
    It's a shame that my mum has left me all of that money and I have got to spend it all on daily living.
    But that's the law and that's the way it is.
    Unfair but true.

One thing I was thinking is that either way most of my inheritance is going to go on rent.

So if I am going to move up North I would be better off buying a place of my own.
    I have seen flats up North for 50k.
    At least that way I would have my own place that is mine and that would be permanent.

That I think is a better option than a private tenancy which is not very secure.
    It is true that if I buy a place it will eat up half of my inheritance.
    But I will still have about 60k left and would not be paying rent.

So my money might still last several years.
    Then when it runs out I can claim benefits again.But at least I will have a secure home and won't have to worry about being homeless,
    As I might be if I lost my private flat.
    Last edited by annbarbs; 12-10-2016 at 8:30 AM.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 12th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 11,308 Posts
    • 47,401 Thanks
    whitewing
    You sound calmer today, which is great. Maybe do some things you enjoy for the next few weeks.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • Brighty
    • By Brighty 12th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Brighty
    [B]I think what I should do now is give my sisters say 4 weeks to see if my sister gets out of hospital.
    As she may then be well enough to go to the bank with my well sister.
    If not then contact my Solicitor again to ask what to do next.
    No no no no, stop contacting your blooming solicitor.

How many times do you need telling.

It's a waste of time and is just costing you money.

Every time you speak to him, every letter he writes, it's increasing his bill, which will come out of your inheritance, when you get it, and you will get it, just be patient.

The higher your solicitors bill, the less inheritance you get, so the quicker it will run out, so the quicker you will be back on benefits living off the state.

Just stop

Brighty
    • *max*
    • By *max* 12th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 12,871 Thanks
    *max*
    I am awaiting a thread titled "My solicitor sent me a bill for 30K, I was never told it would be so expensive! I think he is trying to rob me of my inheritance!".
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 12th Oct 16, 5:25 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 10,209 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    It is scary how it can mount up. When my dad died, it took 3 years or so for the solicitor to sort everything out, and there was no house to sell! I spent a lot of time chasing - and most of the time it was only leaving a message with the receptionist to say that I was asking for an update - and I reckon I spoke to him a maximum of 5 times on the phone and had a maximum of half a dozen letters. Ok, he did do the probate, but all the paperwork was sorted by me before he got it so it was just an easy paper exercise.

His bill was over £13,000!
    • altojack
    • By altojack 12th Oct 16, 10:49 PM
    • 7,938 Posts
    • 109,444 Thanks
    altojack
    Ann, I'm hoping today finds you calmer and in a better place mind wise.

Have you registered with a GP yet. This must be done as soon as possible as certificates will be needed from the doctor. Can you try to call round to the surgery tomorrow to collect the form that you need to register with them.

I also wondered if you looked into the possibility of contacting mind. They do not leave anyone stranded if they have mental health issues. I don't know where abouts you live otherwise I could let you know the nearest mind drop in centre or office to go see them. They give support to those in need. They have drop in centres where you can meet people with MH issues that you could maybe make one or two friends.

If you need help locating the correct centre for yoyr area please send me a private message so I can help you set this up. Stress, anxiety along with MH issues really drag you down, you need support and I can get you sent in the right direction.

Leave the solicitor alone for a few weeks, nothing is happening just now so it's a waste of time.

Leave your sister to rest herself as she is suffering from stress too, worry about your ill sister, worry about what you are doing and worry about her struggling on her own.

Please consider my offer of help, it is genuine I can assure you if that and my time is free haha. Best things in life are free, don't forget X
    There's no place like home
    • altojack
    • By altojack 12th Oct 16, 11:03 PM
    • 7,938 Posts
    • 109,444 Thanks
    altojack
    At this point I'd like to say that I have had experience with people with MH issues, although not if late.

I'd also like to say that having followed all of Anns threads, she has told us how upset, worried, not knowing what to do and she has been open and told us she suffers from mental health issues.

This brings me to the alarming 'harshness' at times aimed at Ann. She is not in a situation right now to take in all of what's been said, nor does she understand it all quite as clearly as you, and you, and yes, you.

I've noticed a few posters coming across as though on the attack which is really not the best way to be when addressing someone in a delicate state. Please try to bear that in mind. Make your posts short, to the point and try to be a little more understanding to Anns situation.

Infuriating to hear the same said time and again, maybe, but this is all part and parcel of Anns current MH issues, of course made worse by the delay, which we understand.

Thank you for reading and sorry if I've upset some of you. My aim is to try and get help to Ann now while she needs it.
    There's no place like home
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 13th Oct 16, 7:12 AM
    • 6,439 Posts
    • 20,561 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I don't think anyone is unsympathetic to Ann's situation but mental health issues or not, she is a full grown adult and I don't think we should tiptoe around the fact that she is running up huge fees with her solicitor and potentially alienating her sisters even further.
    She has been advised to register with a gp, and to put her own health first but its down to her to make it happen. Bear in mind this is the third long thread about her inheritance issues, she's been given a lot of good advice and support.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 14th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Ann, I'm hoping today finds you calmer and in a better place mind wise.

Have you registered with a GP yet. This must be done as soon as possible as certificates will be needed from the doctor. Can you try to call round to the surgery tomorrow to collect the form that you need to register with them.
    Well my ESA was reviewed last years and was awarded until 2018 so it won't be reviewed this year.

But of course by 2018 I will have my inheritance by then so of course I won't be on ESA as that stops when savings go over 16k as does HB and CT Benefit as we know.

I have an indefinite ward for my DLA but that could be re assessed for PIP at any time. As the DWP are starting to review all DLA awards from now until 2018.

So I do need to get a GP because I will need one for that.
    Unfortunately it's Friday afternoon at 4pm so it's to late to go to a surgery now as they will be closed.

But next week is definitely the week that I have got to go down to the GP surgeries I know and try to get registered.
    As I cannot put it off any longer.

I did phone NHS direct who told me to first look for a GP on my own. And if I cannot find a GP to take me on, they will find me. one.

So I have to try to get a GP myself first but if I cannot then NHS will place me with a GP.

Though it is better that I find one myself as if NHS Direct do it,they might put me with a GP I don't like.
    But at the moment I still have a choice if I can find a GP myself.
    So I will start looking next week.

It will probably be about 4 weeks before I get to see a GP anyway.
    because when you register as a new patient you have to have a medical with the nurse before they give you any appointments with the GP.

And most GP surgeries don't give you an appointment right away unless it is an emergency.
    So the sooner I get registered with a GP the better,as the quicker I will get to see one.

If you need help locating the correct centre for yoyr area please send me a private message so I can help you set this up. Stress, anxiety along with MH issues really drag you down, you need support and I can get you sent in the right direction.
    Yes I will send you a PM with the link to the GP's I saw that cover my area on the Choices website.
    There are only about 3 GP's that do. As I have tried all of the others on that list, but they won't take me because they said I am not in their area.
    Which is stupid because they are all walking distance or a bus ride from my home.

And the other 3 GP's that do cover my area are just as far away from my home as the GP surgeries that won't take me.
    So I cannot see why the others won't take me on.
    But if I show you the 3 GP's I saw and you will see from what I read about them why I am afraid to go there.
    But I don't want to post that here, since this is a public forum and I don't want to identify the town I am living in here.

I know that I won't get my inheritance now because my sister is in hospital.
    And even when she gets out of hospital I might still have to wait, if she is still not well.

The hardest thing is not knowing when I will get my money but I hope It won't be too long.
    You are right in there is no point in keep on phoning my solicitor at the moment.

Because there is nothing that he can do, as there is no court that will grant my well sister control of the account at the moment.
    Because as I said before my sister has only been in hospital for 2 weeks and so she might get better.

So I might have to wait a few months for my inheritance.
    Or I might not.
    But either way there is nothing I can do about it at the moment.
    So I have got to try to get on with my life in the meantime.
    I cannot move at the moment so I have got to make the best of here.
    It's not what I want and I don't have a choice.
    But when I get my inheritance I will have.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 14th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Robin9
    Annbarbs - in one of your very early posts I think you wrote that your previous GP/surgery had closed down. Did you get a letter from him/her ? In it it would have said that you were being transferred to another GP.

If so your registration would have been automatic and you will already be on another GP's list.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 15th Oct 16, 2:38 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Annbarbs - in one of your very early posts I think you wrote that your previous GP/surgery had closed down. Did you get a letter from him/her ? In it it would have said that you were being transferred to another GP.

If so your registration would have been automatic and you will already be on another GP's list.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Yes of course I did.
    The letter said quite clear that my GP's surgery is closing down on 31st March 2016.

No registration with another GP is not automatic.
    The letter explained quite clear that my GP surgery is closing down and they won't be re allocating anywhere else.
    So all patients there will have to find a new GP practice to register with.

I spoke to both my GP practice and the health Authority( now called NHS Direct.)
    And they told me that is true.
    But NHS Direct did say if I cannot find a new GP on my own. I should come back to them and they will find me a GP.

But this letter was sent to me on the 21st December 2015, a few days before Christmas, so that was the last thing on my mind.

And I have been focusing on trying to get my inheritance, so a new GP was the last thing I was thinking about.
    and I still don't want to go to the new GPs.

But now it things have gone wrong with my inheritance. And I realize there is a possibility that I may have to wait a long time for it because my sister is ill.

I now have no choice but to face that I could be living where I am for a long time.
    So I have got to get myself a GP.

I think it's a waste of time as I might get a GP I don't like.
    And I don't wanna go to the few GPs they have around here as from the reviews on the NHS Choices website they sound horrible.

But my old GP practice that closed was not like that.
    The receptionist was nice, the GP's were nice and they gave me appointment's fairly quickly.
    And they also let me have double appointment's.
    But now that GP is closed I think it will be very difficult to find another GP like that.

And because a lot of GP's will only take you if you are in their area( even if you live not far from them) I am restricted to where I can go.
    So there is no choice at all.
    3 GPs that cover my area is not really a choice is it?

There is also one Surgery I want to avoid because I was with them when I first moved here(before I found my GP that closed down) and they were horrible to me.
    So I never want to go back there again and I am worried that I might have or end up with another horrible GP like that.

That's why I have not registered with a GP.
    I have got enough on my plate with trying to get my inheritance,without a GP who will upset me as well.
    That's how I feel.

But even if I did get my inheritance now the problems I have got with living here and the GP problem is still going to be there.
    And it takes timer to find alternative accommodation and move, so I probably won't move right away.
    Unless I find a place quickly which is not so easy.

So I am going to need a GP whether I stay here or not.
    And my Ex-Social worker says I don't have to tell the GP about my mothers will.

One more thing I want to say here which other readers should take note of.
    When money is paid into your bank account, it does not show up the same day.

That is the money could be paid in on Monday for example but whether the bank will let you have it right way depends on your bank.

So even if my sister did pay the money into my account now, (which she cannot, shows up in my account.)it could take up to a week before it.

What I am saying is that I have not got the money until it shows up in my account and my bank tells me it is available to me to draw out. Not before.

So I must not tell the DWP I have the money until it shows up in my bank account and the banks says it is available to me.
    Otherwise I could find myself without money if my benefits stopped and my inheritance did not get paid to me.
    Because the payment bounced or sometimes when payments by cheque or CHAPS payment are made, they don't always go through.Which can happen if my sister does not do the payment correctly.

So I when my inheritance does get paid, I must wait until the money shows up in my bank account first before telling the DWP, my Ex-Social worker says.
    Not tell them before the money is in my account, or I could find myself without money.

As we know my benefits will be stopped once I have the money.
    But the DWP cannot stop my benefits now because I have not got it.
    But once I do get my inheritance and it shows in my bank account as available.
    Then I must tell the DWP but only when the money is actually in my bank account and available to me, not before.

I just thought I would point that out.
    That the money might be paid into your account but it is not in your account until it shows up in your bank account and is available to you.
    Very important.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Annbarbs

Depending on how the money is transferred to you it may show up the same day but that service does cost but until that day arrives there's little point in even thinking about that.

One thing I would say about GP surgeries is that they are very much like schools in the sense that GPs come and go as do receptionists etc so what may have been an unpleasant surgery beforehand is now a nice one if that makes sense and also people are much more willing to complain about a bad one than praise a good one.

I know from your previous posts that you're set on moving but can I strongly suggest before you give up your HA tenancy you at least spend some time in the area that you want to move to? I know many people who've gone to an area thinking it was the best one for them only to find it wasn't in hindsight.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 15th Oct 16, 3:51 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Well a lot of those reviews on that Choices website seem to be by the same people.

It could just be 1 or 2 people posting under multiple usernames just to cause a stir as people do on the Internet.
    Does not mean it's true.

They said the same about my GP's surgery but it was nothing like that for me.
    No I am not going back to my old GP I was with when I first moved here.
    There are at least 3 other GPs who cover my area, so I shall try to register with one of them.

I am very upset by what has gone wrong with my inheritance.
    And it looks like I might not get it.

The letters from my solicitor are not much help either as you see here.
    I will post them here-Names have been removed by me as this is a public forum.

My solicitors letter-I thank you for your email of the 5th. Where an account is joint both parties must sign to release money.
    You state Barclays are refusing to send you the money. They are not. The account is set up so that both Sister A and Sister B have to sign. If one of them cannot sign then there is little Barclays can do. It is to be hoped that Sister B recovers shortly.
    Yours sincerely,
    My solicitor.

2nd letter from my Solicitor to me-I thank you for your email of the 7th October.
    Unfortunately Barclays are correct. If the account requires a joint authority then both parties must sign. If Barclays refuse to send the money on the strength of one authority they are doing what is legally correct.
    In the meantime and for your information, I attach herewith email sent to Sister A. I was concerned when you mentioned that your sisters might have already received at least part of the proceeds of the house. This would be completely wrong as of course they must not prefer their own interest over yours.
    I await hearing from Sister A with interest.

Yours sincerely,
    My solicitor.
    That was my Solicitors response to me in writing by both email and letter.

Okay my sister has only just gone into hospital so it is too early to tel if she will recover or not to go to the bank with my other sister.

But if my sister does not recover, my solicitors comments of"You state Barclays are refusing to send you the money. They are not. The account is set up so that both Sister A and Sister B have to sign. If one of them cannot sign then there is little Barclays can do."
    Is not good enough.
    As I have not got my money.
    If my sister does not recover them my solicitor either has to help me get it.
    Or if he won't do this then I will find another Solicitor that will.

I have waited nearly a year for my inheritance and now it's come to this I feel like giving up fighting for it, but I mustn't.
    I haven't come this far to give up
    I want my inheritance and I won't let it go.
    Not if I can help it.

The fight does not end with my Solicitor.
    If he won't help me get my money then I will find another Solicitor that will.
    My mum left me that money, it is my right to claim it, as I have said before in my other posts.

My Solicitor did however tell me that he has written to my well sister asking her to confirm to him if or not she has taken her share of the money first.
    My sister told me she and my other sister have not and I hope that is the case.
    As it might make her more wiling to sort this problem out quicker.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Oct 16, 4:00 PM
    • 13,688 Posts
    • 33,248 Thanks
    elsien
    I'm glad to hear that you've managed to park things for a while to see how it plays all out and that you seem to have come to terms with the delay.

One thing I would say about the GP reviews that you've read is that people are more likely to post when they've had a bad experience than a good one. My GP surgery has a lowish rating but that is not about the quality of the doctors it's about the appt. system. I've always found the doctors very good.
    Maybe if you go into the three to ask for information, and see how each one feels when you talk to them it might help you to choose the best one for you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 1,734 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Annbarbs

Please don't get worked up again regarding the inheritance - you're now aware that neither sister has received any inheritance.

with regards GPs surgeries Elsien's idea is an excellent one after all what doesn't suit one person other may prefer.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,211Posts Today

6,523Users online

Martin's Twitter