Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 3rd Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 120Thanks
    annbarbs
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help.
    • 3rd Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    My Sisters Bank Won't Let her release My Inheritance To Me-Please Help. 3rd Oct 16 at 5:28 PM
    The title says it all.
    I was meant to receive my money 2 weeks ago but now it has all gone horrible wrong and I have not got my money and now it seems there is no way I can get it.

Not because my sisters does not want to send it to me but because my sisters bank refused to let her do the payment.

Here is the story-

Just to recap-
    As some of you may know from my last threads here-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5495130

My mother died last November 2015 and has left me and my 2 other sisters both her house and some money in her will.
    So my sisters and I each inheritance a third of the money from the house sale plus £25,00.

My 2 sisters are both executors of my mothers will and both the money from the house sale and the rest of my mothers money she left us was paid into the executors account.
    Which is a joint account in both my sisters names.
    So from what I understand my sisters are the ones who pay me the money since they are both executors but I am not. I am only a beneficiary.

So I do not have the right to sell the house or handle the distribution of funds, only my sister can do that.
    So my sisters are supposed to send my third share to me as is the terms of mum's will.

Well 2 weeks ago one of my sisters I will call Sister A phoned me to tell me my mothers house has been sold and that the money was ready to be paid out to me along with the other money 25k which I also inherit.

So I gave my sister my bank details so that she could pay the money direct into my bank account.
    Which I am happy to do because I would rather my inheritance was paid directly to me instead of my Solicitor, then when I get it I will pay my Solicitor.

But now it has all gone wrong and I have not got my money.
    Because when my sister went to her bank the next morning(2 weeks ago) to try to send me the money by a CHAPS payment, her bank told her they will not let her do the payment unless my other sister can come with her to the bank in person.

And the problem is that my other sister cannot go with my sister to the bank because she has had a mental breakdown and is being held in a psychiatric hospital under a Section of the mental Health Act and is too ill to do it.

Sister A who is single and was living in the house is the one who is trying to pay me my money.

My other Sister Sister B is the married sisters and is the one who is currently being held in a psychiatric hospital under Section.
    And I have had telephone conversations with Sister A and she says that the mental Health crisis team say that my other sister is in not fit sate to sign anything at the bank and lacks the mental compacity to do so.

The money from my mother will and sale of the house is being held in the executors account and it seems my sister is wiling to pay me my full share of my inheritance.

But her bank which is Barclays bank, won't let her do it without my other sister being with her in person at the bank because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

And even though my sister told her bank the situation her bank won't budge.
    The bank won't let my sister send any money to me unless my other sister can also come to the bank in person to sign or do the translation.
    And Barclays bank refuse to relent on this.

So now my situation is this, my inheritance is stuck in the executors account and there is NO WAY I can access it.

Not because my sister won't pay me but because my sister bank won't let my sister release the money to me without my other sister being present with my sister at the bank in person.
    Because the executors account is a joint account in both my sisters names.

My sister wants to pay me the money but my bank won't let her make the payment to me without the other sister being there with her at the bank.

But because my other sister is in hospital and is not well enough to go to the bank with my other sister or sign for anything.
    It seems there is no way I can get my inheritance unless My sisters bank relents which they won't.

And if my sister is in hospital for months and months which she could be.Or is so ill that she ever gets better,
    Then how the hell am I going to get my Inheritance?

Since my sisters bank told my sister they won't let her make any payments to me unless my other sisters can also came to the bank to sign?

But mum left me that money in her will and I have the will to prove it.
    So it's my money my sisters bank are holding that they won't release to me.
    Which is £118k, and the bank won't let my well sister send me the money because of some stupid RED Tape.

So what the hell do I do now since my Solicitor has not said much about this?
    And if my other sister never gets better then how do I get my money??

What legal action can I take to get my sisters bank to release my inheritance to me,since they won't even let my sister send the payment to me?
Page 10
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 18th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    You really have to ask?

OP, did you go to the GP yesterday? Several people have asked you about that.
    Originally posted by Person_one
    Yes. Plenty of people with mental illness are still working. If the OP went to a GP and got appropriate treatment there is every chance that she would be able to work. It is not certain but the OP needs to make a start by getting help.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Yes. Plenty of people with mental illness are still working. If the OP went to a GP and got appropriate treatment there is every chance that she would be able to work. It is not certain but the OP needs to make a start by getting help.
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    This. And if OP truly is incapable of working, ever, in any capacity, then how can she be capable of managing her own finances when she receives her inheritance? Either way it sounds like she's not currently receiving the support she needs.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 18th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 25,999 Posts
    • 89,282 Thanks
    Person_one
    Originally posted by Yorkshireman99
    I think its fairly clear from her posting here that, at least for now and most likely for a significant time in the future, the OP is definitely not capable of coping in a work situation.

She absolutely needs to get to a GP as soon as possible, but her reluctance to do so may well be another manifestation of her obvious mental illness.

The fact that somebody has been jettisoned by MH services doesn't mean much these days. They are so stretched and worn thin that anybody who can keep themselves alive with a roof over their head and food in their belly and isn't a physical, immediate risk to themselves or others, is at risk of finding themselves without much help in place.

Her circumstances have changed now though, she has had several highly stressful life events in recent months that are causing her thought processes to spin out of control and leading her to make unwise decisions that will put her at risk of further deterioration and she very clearly needs a re-assessment.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 18th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    The fact that somebody has been jettisoned by MH services doesn't mean much these days. They are so stretched and worn thin that anybody who can keep themselves alive with a roof over their head and food in their belly and isn't a physical, immediate risk to themselves or others, is at risk of finding themselves without much help in place.
    Yes that is exactly the way my health trust sees me.
    My CMHT won't give me a keyworker because they say I am not ill enough.
    The psychiatrist said the same thing and they won't even give me a psychiatrist either.
    So it's not my fault that my CMHT won't give me the support I have tried a MH Solicitor and my last GP but my CMHT still won't.

My CMHT know that I cannot work and have said they will give me supporting letters for my benefits if they are reviewed.

But there is no way I can work and both the CMHT and my past GP I had say this.

But I don't meet my CMHT's criteria for a keyworker or their services.
    But they will help me with my benefits and I can see the duty office or my Ex-CMHT Social worker at the CMHT.
    So although I am discharged from the CMHT I do have minimum contact with them.
    But no keyworker.

And no. I have not gone to look for a GP today because I was phoning my Housing association to tell the about the leak on the roof.
    The Man I spoke to from the HA repairs department was very nice to me.

He told me he is going to get the repair done although it won't be done right away because the contractors first have to come round and look at it to see what's causing the problem.
    And they will have to high a special equipment called a Cherrypicky to go up on the roof because they cannot get up there on a ladder because of Health and safety regulations.

But the man from the HA I spoke to said he is also going to put this forward as a complaint and someone from the HA will also contact me shortly.
    So all went well with my HA today as the man from Ha was sympathetic to me.

I have also been trying to speak to my solicitor on the phone but I cannot get though he is either out or with a client when I phone.

My solicitor won't see me in person at the office he will only speak to me on the phone which is not very helpful considering recent events re my inheritance.

So I am stuck because I cannot get my money, my sister won't talk to me and my solicitor is not very helpful.

But I have NOT GOT MY MONEY and my solicitor does not appear to be doing much about this.

So I think in the end it's going to come to that I may have to see another Solicitor as I have got to get my money but no one is doing anything to resolve this problem.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 18th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 25,999 Posts
    • 89,282 Thanks
    Person_one
    Did you read the next bit of my post OP? I said that things have changed and you need to be re-assessed.

Please please, get to the GP tomorrow. Nothing is more important. You do not need to speak to your solicitor at the moment.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 18th Oct 16, 4:13 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    fairy lights
    So I am stuck because I cannot get my money, my sister won't talk to me and my solicitor is not very helpful.

But I have NOT GOT MY MONEY and my solicitor does not appear to be doing much about this.
    Originally posted by annbarbs
    It might look like your solicitor is not doing much to get your money, but that's because at the moment, there is nothing he can do.
    Your sister has only been in hospital for a few weeks, you need to give it time - either for her to recover, or for your other sister to get the power to distribute the estate.
    Remember this must be a very stressful time for both of your sisters too.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 18th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Please read the following comment carefully, it is important you understand it, once you have understood then you are free to make your own decisions regarding moving but you need to be aware of the outcome when you do that.

And no. I have not gone to look for a GP today because I was phoning my Housing association to tell the about the leak on the roof.

He told me he is going to get the repair done although it won't be done right away because the contractors first have to come round and look at it to see what's causing the problem.
    And they will have to high a special equipment called a Cherrypicky to go up on the roof because they cannot get up there on a ladder because of Health and safety regulations.

But the man from the HA I spoke to said he is also going to put this forward as a complaint and someone from the HA will also contact me shortly.
    So all went well with my HA today as the man from Ha was sympathetic to me.
    What you have said above is because this man works for the HA, the staff working there are used to dealing with people in your situation who need extra support and understanding compared to others. not all HA staff are quite as helpful but they should all receive some training on how to deal with clients like yourself.

How nice the man was and how he explained every step and procedure WILL NOT happen when dealing with private agents/landlords nor will this happen in the same way if you buy a home and have to deal with tradesmen.

Please think very carefully about moving out of HA housing.
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 18th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 3,676 Posts
    • 10,119 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    OP - you do realise that each time you call your solicitor, whether you speak to him or not, may be charged? Not as much obviously as if you speak to him, but there will in all probability be a charge.

As others have said, he can't do anything, nobody can, until your sister is better.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 18th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Well I managed to get through to my Solicitor just now on the phone.
    I told him I am very worried that I will never get my money because of the situation with the bank.

I told him that I have been let down by my sisters before and that my well sister now refuses to speak to me on the phone again.

I asked him what do we do if the worst happens and my sister never gets well?

As I don't think my well sister would want to go to the Court of Protection.

My solicitor said if that was the case he would got to the Court.

The other thing I am worried about is if my sister got well but just did not want to bother going to the bank with my sister.

My solicitor said in that case we could take my sisters the executors to court because they would be deliberately withholding their money.

So my Solicitor has explained to me the legal position and that's it.
    But he says we cannot go to court at this point in time because my sister has only been ill for a few weeks and the judge won't do anything.
    The Court Of Protection is only if my sisters is ill for a long time and does not get better.

My Solicitor agrees with me that we can give my sister some time in which to get better but we cannot let this go on forever(a year or more, my words.)

But we cannot go to court at the moment because my sister has not been ill that long so at the moment we don't have a case.
    But I know that.

I also asked him about my legal bill and he said I have not rung up anything like 30k like some members here have said!
    So I now feel a bit better now I have spoken to my Solicitor.

I am worried that I will never get my inheritance. but members here have said that is not going to happen and so did my solicitor.

As people have said here I will get my money but I may have to wait for it.
    And that is the hard part because now because of my sisters illness and the Red Tape with the bank.
    I don't know how long I will have to wait before this is sorted out.
    And the worst way we may have to go to court if my sisters do not co operate.
    But I will get my money but worst way it could take a long time.
    That's the hard part of all of this.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 18th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,347 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99

Sorry but that did not take all day. It is difficult to see it as anything but just another excuse for not getting help. All it takes is a phone call to arrange an appointment. If you explain the urgency you should be able to get an appointment within a day or two.
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 18th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 3,676 Posts
    • 10,119 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    Sadly I think that the advice we are all offering in good faith is being ignored, so there is little more we can do. I wish you luck OP, perhaps in a few months time you can look back on these threads and reflect on the advice offered. Hopefully you will not regret taking these free suggestions that were all offered with your best interest in mind.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 18th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 2,489 Thanks
    Newly retired
    Annbarbs, you have come on to these forums asking for help and advice, which is free and lots of people have come on here to try to help and support you.
    Your solicitor is giving you the same answers, but that is costing you money. Going to court is going to cost money. If you sack this solicitor and appoint another, it will cost you more still.

Why not take the advice we are all giving you, for free.
    Register with a GP.
    Do all you can to get support for your MH needs.
    Be patient for your money. You will get it eventually.

Try to get some other interests. Do some voluntary work. Meet other people.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 19th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Sorry but that did not take all day. It is difficult to see it as anything but just another excuse for not getting help.

No is doesn't.

The truth is I don't wanna go.
    Because I am afraid of what the new GP Surgery and GP will be like.
    That's why I keep on putting off registering with a GP.
    And the thought of going there makes me feel sick to be honest.
    That's why I don't want to go.

But it is now 4pm afternoon so I think it is too late to go to a GP surgery today.
    And the 2 surgeries that claim to cover my area are only open util 12 noon tomorrow as Thursday is their half day.
    So I probably won't be able to get down there until Friday.

Also they won't let you see a GP if you are not registered.
    To see a doctor you first have to register and to do this most NHS Gp Surgeries ask you to show them proof of ID,(passport, Drivers Licence or Birth certificate or other ID) and proof of address before they will register you.

And they won't let you se a GP right away, most surgeries as a new patient you have to first see the nurse for a medical before they will let you see a GP.

So even if I did register with a GP today, I would probably have to wait 2 weeks before I saw the nurse for the new patient medical.
    Then another 2 weeks after that before I saw the GP, because most NHS surgeries never giver you appointments right away, unless it is an emergency.
    That in itself is another thing that puts me off of registering with a GP.

Also I have spent all my time on getting my inheritance and so the last thing on my mind is a GP.
    Last edited by annbarbs; 19-10-2016 at 4:17 PM.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 6,423 Posts
    • 20,457 Thanks
    fairy lights
    The truth is I don't wanna go.
    Because I am afraid of what the new GP Surgery and GP will be like.
    That's why I keep on putting off registering with a GP.
    And the thought of going there makes me feel sick to be honest.
    That's why I don't want to go.
    Don't be afraid. The worst, the absolute worst that can happen is that you don't like the GP you register with. In which case, you can ask to see a different doctor at the practice, and if that doesn't work out, there are still 2 other practices in your area you can try. But the chances are the GP you register with will be lovely.
    So why not just bit the bullet and go and get registered tomorrow morning?
    Think how much better you will feel when it's done and one less thing for you to worry about.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 19th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 25,999 Posts
    • 89,282 Thanks
    Person_one
    My GP is open till 6, the last appointment is 5.45pm.

It mightn't be too late, have a look on their website, or ring.

Please OP, I know its scary, but you can't carry on like this, can you? Go and get some help.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 19th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Ann

The first thing you need to say to the receptionist is something along the lines of

" I have some HM issues, it has taken a lot for me to get myself here today, I am scared and worried. My last GPs closed down and I am nervous about registering with another one"

Even better write/type it down and hand it to the receptionist so no one else needs to hear what you say.

If you don't tell them of your fears/issues when you first arrive they will not know you need to be treated extra kindly.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 19-10-2016 at 4:36 PM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Oct 16, 4:45 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    -taff
    Also I have spent all my time on getting my inheritance and so the last thing on my mind is a GP.
    You have done nothing to get your inheritance, you're going to get it anyway, but you will have to wait, and it's not going to happen until your sister is out of hospital.

In the meantime, concentrate on going to a GP.
    • Person_one
    • By Person_one 19th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 25,999 Posts
    • 89,282 Thanks
    Person_one
    Ann

The first thing you need to say to the receptionist is something along the lines of

" I have some HM issues, it has taken a lot for me to get myself here today, I am scared and worried. My last GPs closed down and I am nervous about registering with another one"

Even better write/type it down and hand it to the receptionist so no one else needs to hear what you say.

If you don't tell them of your fears/issues when you first arrive they will not know you need to be treated extra kindly.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone

This is a fantastic idea, definitely do this.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 19th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    annbarbs
    Ann

Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Yes that's exactly what I want to tell them.
    I want to go up to the surgery in person.
    That way I can get an idea what they are like.

If the receptionist seems rude or I don't like the feel of the place, I can just walk out and go to another surgery.

And as you say even if I do register with the GP and they are not helpful, I can always find another GP surgery.

I have got at least 3 choices.
    The Choice of 3 GP Surgeries is not much but it's better than none and I only need 1 GP.
    And you are right that I won't know if the GP is okay or not if I don't go there.

You have done nothing to get your inheritance, you're going to get it anyway, but you will have to wait, and it's not going to happen until your sister is out of hospital.

In the meantime, concentrate on going to a GP.
    No I have not.

All I have done is get myself a Solicitor but there is nothing else I can do.
    Except to wait for all of this to be sorted out with my sister and if not my Solicitor will intervene.
    But as my sister has only been ill a few weeks there is nothing he can do.

Because no court is going to do anything at the moment, because it is too early time. And my sister could get better.
    So I have to wait and see what happens.
    But that could take weeks or even a few months.

So I have to accept that I cannot get my inheritance now.
    And I cannot move until I do.
    So I will have to put my plans to move on hold now.
    And wait until after I get my inheritance, then I can make my plans to move.

But I cannot move at the moment because I am on benefits with little savings.
    So I am not in the position to move and won't be until I get my inheritance.

So I have to accept that I am going to have to live here for at least a few more months and will have to make the best of it.
    But I cannot go without a GP for months and months.
    So I have got to get one I know.
    I am going to need a GP whether I move or not.

Even if I did have my inheritance now, I probably would not find a flat right away.
    Because even with money it's not so easy to find private rented accommodation.
    So I will still need to have a GP in the meantime.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 19th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 6,458 Posts
    • 3,729 Thanks
    -taff
    Attagirl!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter