Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• *Trouble*
    • By *Trouble* 3rd Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 1,041Thanks
    Plastic pipes within 1m of boiler....
    • 3rd Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    Plastic pipes within 1m of boiler.... 3rd Oct 16 at 5:14 PM
    Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice.

Just had a plumber out to give me quote to get a chemical flush done, as some of my radiators aren't heating properly (sludge buildup). He took one look at my boiler and said it's illegal as I've plastic pipework 10cm from the boiler. He said he can't touch it until the plastic is replaced with copper and advised that I go back to British Gas who installed the boiler 6 years ago.

Has anyone come across this before and if it's true, would British Gas have to fix the pipework..? In the original install they checked a box saying it was 'non-standard', but that was due to the meter (they noted that); nothing was said about plastic pipes being too close to the boiler.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by *Trouble*; 04-10-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Photo
    Thanks to everyone for the posts and all the hard work you do.
Page 2
    • *Trouble*
    • By *Trouble* 7th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Well a British Gas Engineer has now been to look at the plastic pipes, had a bit of a job getting to them (had to take the extractor fan off the wall as it was attached to the pipe housing).

He called Worcester to make sure, but he now knows that ALL the plastic pipes within 600mm of the boiler have to be replaced with copper. He seemed quite surprised by this.

Now I've got to wait for them to get an electrician to disconnect the oven, so that they have room to get at the plastic pipes. Engineer seemed a little too happy to tell me he was off next week and part of the week after, so someone else would have to come back to do the job.

• *Trouble*
    • By *Trouble* 13th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks

Had to chase British Gas again on Tuesday afternoon, as I'd had no update. I was told as it was such a complicated job it'd been passed to the the Local Installations Manager.... said he'd chase it for me.

Wednesday morning I got a call from the local BG Installation Manager, saying I'd have an engineer out the next morning; reminded him about the electrician that was needed to move the cooker and he said not to worry.

Lovely engineer arrived just after 08:30 this morning and was not happy about the mess the previous engineer had left; nor did they need to move the cooker. He took pictures and sent them to his boss, who coincidentally was just arriving outside. Both of them said that they were sorry that I'd been left with the mess and that the pictures would go to the original engineers boss, it was not up to BG standards to them. Apparently as they hadn't originally installed the plastic pipes, they should've charged to replace them with copper.... but in this instance they wouldn't as I'd been mucked about. I'd already mentioned earlier to the engineer about where a Magnaclean could be fitted, as it's such a tight space and almost immediately he said that as I'd been mucked about so much they would fit their version for free.

2 hours later and all done. now just waiting to hear back from my plumber to come out and fix my leaking radiators, plus do a chemical flush on the system.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,218Posts Today

6,822Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin