Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 34,935Posts
    • 5,632,205Thanks
    One-Eye
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required
    • 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required 3rd Oct 16 at 2:25 PM
    Since approx 11am this morning (03/10) if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

This applies to new posts only - posts created before 11am are still behaving correctly.

This needs to revert back to normal ASAP.

This is the exact same fault as happened in July 2015 - See THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD

This (from July 2015) may give a clue as to what has been messed up:
    Some change they made has removed the target="_blank" attribute from posted links, which makes them open in a new window or tab by default.

Hopefully they will put things back the way they were when they've had a chance for someone techie competent to take a look.
    Originally posted by fermi
    The MSE Techies should also note that correcting the problem for new posts will still leave any posts done from 11am 03/10 until the time the fault is corrected working incorrectly. I recall that in July 2015 a subsequent process was run to correct all the faulty links in posts made whilst the fault existed.

In a nutshell:

For this link: https://www.google.co.uk/

The source code is:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

but it should be:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

Last edited by One-Eye; 05-10-2016 at 4:05 PM. Reason: adding useful info from the previous fault
Page 4
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 13th Oct 16, 6:09 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,323 Thanks
    mattytun
    49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.
    Originally posted by redfox
    Did you move the "Slider" bar like in the picture?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5535167&page=2
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 13th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,323 Thanks
    mattytun
    49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.
    Originally posted by redfox
    There is "Tab Mix Plus" as well, but I've not had a play with it.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular
    • redfox
    • By redfox 13th Oct 16, 7:59 PM
    • 11,204 Posts
    • 32,760 Thanks
    redfox
    There is "Tab Mix Plus" as well, but I've not had a play with it.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    just tried that one as well. Installs but doesn't work once installed so no improvement. Thanks anyway.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• lgardner
    • By lgardner 14th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    lgardner
    i think its to do with the way the links are put in the background the coding is wrong in the back, apparently you have to add a target="_blank" attributre to your links (anchor tags)

So if the ref is a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/">bbc.co.uk</a>

it needs to be href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/" target="_blank">bbc.co.uk</a>
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Oct 16, 4:36 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    DoaM
    With respect, I'd suggest the forum team should be well aware of how that attribute works and how to apply it.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • 100mg
    • By 100mg 14th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    100mg
    Unless you're Tim Berners-Lee, this is unlikely. Even if you are, info.cern.ch , the http server for which went online 25 years and two months ago, didn't have target="_blank" on any of the links and the orignal text based browser ran in a shell and didn't have tabs.

Perhaps a bit less than 25 years?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    Silly me. I haven't been running website for 25 years. I started out running a BBS on DOS in the late 80's, then a 2 line BBS on OS/2 in 1992 with Fidonet. My website activity started in 1993 & it had a .demon.co.uk address. However I only started using target="_blank" for the past 10 years.

I can see why MSE uses a rel="nofollow", but a rel="external" should open the link in a new window, but when I tried it (on my non HTML 5 website), it didn't. Running Firefox 48.02, so I am sticking with the method posted in this thread of using the Open Link in New Tab Addon & setting the Level to Level 1.
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 18th Oct 16, 7:35 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    Please can this be changed back ASAP. It's driving me mad. Just can't se a need for it.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 18th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 11,204 Posts
    • 32,760 Thanks
    redfox
    Please can this be changed back ASAP. It's driving me mad. Just can't se a need for it.
    Originally posted by rugmaker

I'm right with you on that.

• rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 18th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    An update would be appreciated please MSE. Can't you reinstate the old system while you investigate?
    • pookiepie
    • By pookiepie 19th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    pookiepie
    Can we please have an update - this is driving me mad!!!
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 19th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 18,875 Posts
    • 82,122 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    I came to check if there was an update. Alas, there is not. Please, MSE, this is such a small thing that so many users are getting irate about. It's driving us all crazy!
    ♫Cast your stones. cast your judgement
    You don't make me who I am♫
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 20th Oct 16, 7:02 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    The way we are being ignored on this without even regular updates really is very very poor.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 20th Oct 16, 3:12 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,323 Thanks
    mattytun
    Is there any updates you can give us MSE regarding this issue because as things go you have been shocking in not updating us, and I'm rather disappointed
    • MSE Matt
    • By MSE Matt 21st Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    MSE Matt
    Hi All,

I'm afraid to say the situation hasn't changed and won't be changing in the near future hence the lack of (positive) update. The highest priority is the security of you, our users. Again we're sorry for the inconvenience in the functionality you're used to and we know this can be frustrating when you are used to this way of usage but there are alternative by using right-clicks and CTRL buttons.
    I can also see that some of you are trying out different browser plug-ins?

regards
    Matt
    • LadyMorticia
    • By LadyMorticia 21st Oct 16, 11:00 AM
    • 18,875 Posts
    • 82,122 Thanks
    LadyMorticia
    This is really annoying. Other sites allow links to be opened in new tabs without a security risk. Bah humbug!
    ♫Cast your stones. cast your judgement
    You don't make me who I am♫
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 28th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 148,634 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    this cant b e for our security its b een fine for years and no other sites do it

shocking
    What goes around-comes around
    • m1kjm
    • By m1kjm 3rd Nov 16, 8:02 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 2,019 Thanks
    m1kjm
    It's so flipping tedious, it's unreal.

I can only assume that those who work for MSE don't actually bother to use the forum because then they'd know how irritating it is.

It's sad how MSE can slap a big red annoying banner across the forum screen when it suits them but they don't have the courtesy to notify their users of a change that ruins our enjoyment of the site.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 5th Nov 16, 3:56 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,323 Thanks
    mattytun
    Is anyone using the Add-on I posted in #30 http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5535167&page=2

Once I log out of competitions I just disable it then enable once I go back to competitions does the job for me Tabs open just like they used too
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 10th Nov 16, 2:03 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    Any update on this? I am afraid I am still far from convinced that it is really necessary.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Nov 16, 2:39 PM
    • 23,354 Posts
    • 9,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Maybe its just my setup but links have always opened in the same tab, unless i right click or most often use the wheel button to open the link in a new tab.

Although i do use NoScript which blocks a lot of the junk on websites.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter