Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 34,731Posts
    • 5,608,310Thanks
    One-Eye
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required
    • 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required 3rd Oct 16 at 2:25 PM
    Since approx 11am this morning (03/10) if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

This applies to new posts only - posts created before 11am are still behaving correctly.

This needs to revert back to normal ASAP.

This is the exact same fault as happened in July 2015 - See THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD

This (from July 2015) may give a clue as to what has been messed up:
    Some change they made has removed the target="_blank" attribute from posted links, which makes them open in a new window or tab by default.

Hopefully they will put things back the way they were when they've had a chance for someone techie competent to take a look.
    Originally posted by fermi
    The MSE Techies should also note that correcting the problem for new posts will still leave any posts done from 11am 03/10 until the time the fault is corrected working incorrectly. I recall that in July 2015 a subsequent process was run to correct all the faulty links in posts made whilst the fault existed.

In a nutshell:

For this link: https://www.google.co.uk/

The source code is:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

but it should be:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

Last edited by One-Eye; 05-10-2016 at 4:05 PM. Reason: adding useful info from the previous fault
Page 3
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 6,796 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    esuhl
    I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link. No complaints of security breaches so far.
    Originally posted by 100mg
    I'm no pro, I'd never heard of this issue before. Strange. It sounds like the kind of thing for which there would be a very quick/simple patch.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 11th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 12,430 Posts
    • 223,989 Thanks
    mattytun
    Hi there, thanks for your feedback and your patience. We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons. While we can't make any promises, we're looking into a fix that may still let you open in a new tab and keep you safe at the same time. Could we ask for your patience, again, while we investigate?

Thanks
    Originally posted by MSE Jessica
    Hi is there any updates you can give us or progress on the issue regarding the Tabs from opening a separate webpage.

At the moment I've got a workaround by installing an Add-on which overrides the problem.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • redfox
    • By redfox 11th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 32,692 Thanks
    redfox
    At the moment I've got a workaround by installing an Add-on which overrides the problem.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    which sadly doesn't work with all versions of Firefox so I'm still stuck with the original problem and it is driving me mad
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 11th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 34,731 Posts
    • 5,608,310 Thanks
    One-Eye
    There are several threads in the Compers Chat Forum where users are complaining about the change:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5535097
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5538025
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5539220
    • starving artist
    • By starving artist 12th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 5,478 Thanks
    starving artist
    Driving me mad...... please fix it soon.
    • basil92
    • By basil92 12th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 10,859 Posts
    • 28,156 Thanks
    basil92
    Driving me mad...... please fix it soon.
    Originally posted by starving artist
    What's equally as infuriating is the lack of information from the powers that be!!!
    If you want somebody you can trust...trust yourself

Basil - Lovely, a sensitive soul with legs designed for the catwalk
    Originally posted by Chopper98
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 12th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    Very disappointed with how MSE is handling this. The lack of advance warning, the delay of several days to reply to this thread at all and now further silence. Not the hallmarks of a customer focused organisation.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 12th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 12,430 Posts
    • 223,989 Thanks
    mattytun
    which sadly doesn't work with all versions of Firefox so I'm still stuck with the original problem and it is driving me mad
    Originally posted by redfox

What version of "Firefox" are you using I've got the latest version 49.0.1 and its working ok.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 12th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    Mista_C
    There are various ways around it on a laptop or PC, but it's more dificult on a phone or tablet.

It would also have been nice for MSE to tell us about the change in advance or at least respond promptly when it was reported as a fault. If the website for a bank or rail company had handled a change like this, they would doubtless have been panned for poor customer service.
    Originally posted by rugmaker
    Tap and hold the link until the menu appears with the option to open in new tab.
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 12th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    Tap and hold the link until the menu appears with the option to open in new tab.
    Originally posted by Mista_C
    Absolutely, but that takes considerably longer and is somewhat hit and miss for someone as manually challenged as me!
    • tghe-retford
    • By tghe-retford 12th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 3,808 Thanks
    tghe-retford
    Question for those who have implemented this security measure or for those who may be more technically minded than myself on this issue - if it is a security risk to have a hyperlink open in a new tab, is it just as dangerous if someone a) right clicks the link and selects the "Open link in new tab/window" option; b) holds CTRL and clicks the link to open it in a new tab, and/or; c) hold their finger on the link and selects the "Open link in new tab/window" option?
    • redfox
    • By redfox 12th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 11,178 Posts
    • 32,692 Thanks
    redfox
    What version of "Firefox" are you using I've got the latest version 49.0.1 and its working ok.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    49, doesn't work. Also tried it on a system I have with 43 on, doesn't work. Tried it on Pale Moon (Firefox-alike which uses Firefox/Mozilla code and on which all other Firefox addons work perfectly fine), doesn't work. Some of the reviews also suggest it is quite patchy on what it does and doesn't work on.

Given up trying now because, quite frankly, I shouldn't need to be finding workarounds. This is an MSE instigated problem which needs fixing. The silence and total lack of concern or action from MSE is astounding and very hard to accept.
    Last edited by redfox; 13-10-2016 at 7:18 AM.
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 13th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    The lack of engagement from MSE on this is a disgrace. I've started tweeting them about it, suggest others do the same.
    • fire**fly
    • By fire**fly 13th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 133,709 Posts
    • 3,585,721 Thanks
    fire**fly
    keep getting timed out now
    'What day is it?' asked Pooh 'It's today' squeaked Piglet, 'My favorite day' said Pooh
    ━☆.* fairysprinkles ★¸¸.☆.¸¸.*¨‘*
    all
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,798 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link.
    Originally posted by 100mg
    Unless you're Tim Berners-Lee, this is unlikely. Even if you are, info.cern.ch , the http server for which went online 25 years and two months ago, didn't have target="_blank" on any of the links and the orignal text based browser ran in a shell and didn't have tabs.

Perhaps a bit less than 25 years?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 13th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 39,076 Posts
    • 46,880 Thanks
    fermi
    This is very annoying.

Assuming this is a genuine or significant security issue, which I doubt, I'm not aware that any other site I use has tried to fix this in such a ham-fisted way.

Certainly not one which breaks the usability of the site/forums.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 13th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    MSE have just told me via Twitter that they are working on this and will post an update soon. I have made it clear that I think that better engagement with forum users on this is required.
    • MSE Matt
    • By MSE Matt 13th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    MSE Matt
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback so far and we realise this is an extremely frustrating update, but an essential security requirement nonetheless.

In reference to the details on One-Eye's post we have not changed the links on the RHS as we know the to be secure. We have not backdated the security update to include links posted in the forum pre- 3rd October as we know they have not caused any issue so far and the job requirement is too big for us to be able to deal with at the moment.

The current fix is something we know to work for the short term despite the functionality issue, we know, being extremely frustrating for most of you (forum users), especially the compers and those using the competitions board.

As some of you have already highlighted; you can still use the CTRL button and/or right-click 'open in new tab' options or for tablet or mobile devices hold down the link and wait for the popup window. We very much appreciate your patience and feedback and ask you to please bear with us as we scope out a solution that overcomes this functionality gap AND secures the site simultaneously.

regards
    Matt
    Last edited by MSE Matt; 13-10-2016 at 1:47 PM.
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 13th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 34,731 Posts
    • 5,608,310 Thanks
    One-Eye
    Thanks for your feedback so far and we realise this is an extremely frustrating update, but an essential security requirement nonetheless.

In reference to the details on One-Eye's post we have not changed the links on the RHS as we know the to be secure. We have not backdated the security update to include links posted in the forum pre- 3rd October as we know they have not caused any issue so far and the job requirement is too big for us to be able to deal with at the moment.
    Originally posted by MSE Matt
    Thanks for this Matt, please continue to keep us updated.

Could clever use of MSE's "rude word filter" be used to prevent the posting of links with the security issue?
    • MSE Matt
    • By MSE Matt 13th Oct 16, 4:54 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    MSE Matt
    I'll definitely run this by the dev team but I know they have been over all the options for the security forum fix at the moment. - I'll keep you posted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,353Users online

Martin's Twitter