Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    • 34,780Posts
    • 5,615,943Thanks
    One-Eye
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required
    • 3rd Oct 16, 2:25 PM
    MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required 3rd Oct 16 at 2:25 PM
    Since approx 11am this morning (03/10) if you (single left) click on a link in a forum post, the page opens in the CURRENT TAB instead of a NEW TAB.

This applies to new posts only - posts created before 11am are still behaving correctly.

This needs to revert back to normal ASAP.

This is the exact same fault as happened in July 2015 - See THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD

This (from July 2015) may give a clue as to what has been messed up:
    Some change they made has removed the target="_blank" attribute from posted links, which makes them open in a new window or tab by default.

Hopefully they will put things back the way they were when they've had a chance for someone techie competent to take a look.
    Originally posted by fermi
    The MSE Techies should also note that correcting the problem for new posts will still leave any posts done from 11am 03/10 until the time the fault is corrected working incorrectly. I recall that in July 2015 a subsequent process was run to correct all the faulty links in posts made whilst the fault existed.

In a nutshell:

For this link: https://www.google.co.uk/

The source code is:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

but it should be:
    <a href = "https://www.google.co.uk/" target="_blank" rel= "nofollow">https://www.google.co.uk/</a>

Last edited by One-Eye; 05-10-2016 at 4:05 PM. Reason: adding useful info from the previous fault
Page 2
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 6th Oct 16, 11:05 PM
    • 12,991 Posts
    • 24,930 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Driving me crazy.
    “Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky
    • Boom Boom
    • By Boom Boom 6th Oct 16, 11:30 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Boom Boom
    Can't understand what the delay is here. Very bad.
    • bodacious
    • By bodacious 7th Oct 16, 7:41 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    bodacious
    Still no fix and not even as much as a comment or acknowledgement from MSE some 4 days after the problem was highlighted

This forum is really going to the dogs nowadays as nobody at MSE seems to care about anything any more (other than chasing the dollar, of course). I wonder if Martin knows his 'baby' is slowly being trashed.
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 7th Oct 16, 8:04 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    I've tweeted, sent dms, used the feedback form and not a whisper. Rather undermines mses position in criticising other sites with faults.
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 7th Oct 16, 8:06 AM
    • 4,624 Posts
    • 10,579 Thanks
    Money maker
    Maybe they've all left the building and the lights are out. Come on MSE, sort this out.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • MSE Jessica
    • By MSE Jessica 7th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MSE Jessica
    Hi there, thanks for your feedback and your patience. We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons. While we can't make any promises, we're looking into a fix that may still let you open in a new tab and keep you safe at the same time. Could we ask for your patience, again, while we investigate?

Thanks

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 7th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    Jessica

Thanks for replying. I very much hope that you can find a way to restore the opening of links in new tabs as it is causing many of us problems as you can see from this thread.

In the future when making a change of this sort it might be helpful to announce it ahead of time and/or reply reasonably promptly to queries about the change like this thread. It has felt very much like shouting into a vacuum this week.
    • MimiJane
    • By MimiJane 7th Oct 16, 2:02 PM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 43,104 Thanks
    MimiJane
    Thanks Jessica, but this really should have been addressed much sooner ...

One word in the meantime ... arrgghhhhhhhhhhh!
    Wins 2016 = £235

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS. - xx
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 7th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 6,959 Posts
    • 4,402 Thanks
    Biggles
    We've disabled links from opening in new tabs for security reasons.
    Originally posted by MSE Jessica
    I speak from a position of ignorance but surely, if a link will take you to a new page or site, how is it any less safe if it's in a new tab as opposed to the existing one?
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 7th Oct 16, 3:08 PM
    • 12,434 Posts
    • 224,153 Thanks
    mattytun
    Ok, I've downloaded an "Add-on" for Firefox called "open link in new tab" and at the moment its working ok.

Here is the link https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/open-link-in-new-tab/

Once you download it and restart your browser you will have to click on Tools>Add-ons>then look for the add-on you just downloaded>options>Then change the bar to how it is in the picture>ok

When you are not using MSE, you can always disable the App then just enable again when you log back into MSE

There are more Apps out there, but I've only had a play with this one for 20mins think it works on all browsers.

Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • redfox
    • By redfox 7th Oct 16, 3:56 PM
    • 11,184 Posts
    • 32,694 Thanks
    redfox
    surely, if a link will take you to a new page or site, how is it any less safe if it's in a new tab as opposed to the existing one?
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Quite....and it isn't. The excuse we've been given would seem to be a smokescreen.

It was as it was for years, and IMO there is no logical reason to change it, certainly not for 'safety'.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 7th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 8,442 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    Here's an explanation of a security risk, to do with opening a link in a new tab, which may be the cause of the current situation:

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 7th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 7,599 Posts
    • 148,616 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    thanks matty does it interfere with other sites/settings

will give it a try
    What goes around-comes around
    • moonshine
    • By moonshine 7th Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 693 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    moonshine
    I still think it needs putting back to how it was. I'm sure the so called risk is minimal and as this (not opening a new tab/window) doesn't happen on other sites, I really can't see the need for such paranoia here.
    • 100mg
    • By 100mg 7th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    100mg
    Ok, I've downloaded an "Add-on" for Firefox called "open link in new tab" and at the moment its working ok.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    Thanks for that. Works well. Right PITA before.
    As if target="_blank" is a security risk.

I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link. No complaints of security breaches so far.
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 8th Oct 16, 10:34 AM
    • 34,780 Posts
    • 5,615,943 Thanks
    One-Eye
    If target="_blank" is such a security risk then:

1) Why do "Martin's Twitter" and "MSE's Twitter" and all the links therein on the RHS of the forum still use it a week after the change to the forum was implemented?

2) Why have MSE not trawled through the forum and changed the links in every post created before 11am 03/10 to remove it?

If you study the background on the theoretical vulnerability caused by target="_blank" then it is a massive overreaction to disable it. In security terms, if allowing members to post links on the forum is akin to walking down the middle of a motorway, then disabling target="_blank" is like only allowing you do it facing the oncoming traffic. It also appears to me that the theoretical vulnerability can be easily eliminated with a few lines of code so the usefulness of target="_blank" can be retained.
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 9th Oct 16, 1:27 PM
    • 12,434 Posts
    • 224,153 Thanks
    mattytun
    thanks matty does it interfere with other sites/settings

will give it a try
    Originally posted by robbies_gal
    No it is working ok at the moment.

Ive only been using it on MSE so once i log out i just disable it
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Mista_C
    • By Mista_C 9th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 3,005 Thanks
    Mista_C
    If you really must have links open in a new tab then for now you can use the old skool method of holding down CTRL while clicking the link.
    • rugmaker
    • By rugmaker 9th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 19,519 Thanks
    rugmaker
    If you really must have links open in a new tab then for now you can use the old skool method of holding down CTRL while clicking the link.
    Originally posted by Mista_C
    There are various ways around it on a laptop or PC, but it's more dificult on a phone or tablet.

It would also have been nice for MSE to tell us about the change in advance or at least respond promptly when it was reported as a fault. If the website for a bank or rail company had handled a change like this, they would doubtless have been panned for poor customer service.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Oct 16, 4:04 PM
    • 6,802 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    esuhl
    Here's an explanation of a security risk, to do with opening a link in a new tab, which may be the cause of the current situation:

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/
    Originally posted by pate-ci0
    Riiiight... So a malicious site could cause the previously opened MSE tab to redirect to a fake/malware/phishing site...?

Have I understood that right...?

Surely that would be due to bad coding in the web browser...? Is that right? Does it affect all browsers?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

651Posts Today

4,521Users online

Martin's Twitter