Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jvr
    • By jvr 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 320Posts
    • 1,101Thanks
    jvr
    Changing habits, wanting freedom
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    Changing habits, wanting freedom 3rd Oct 16 at 11:17 AM
    So finally looking at starting a diary, need something to keep me on track! So debt stands at 5,481.43 was originally about 6,000 6 months ago. It’s a mixture of spending due to buying our first house and not adjusting to me being on a much lower income down about 10,000 a year.
    So I am 27 and live with my OH and two dogs and one cat. We want to think about having children soonish and the debt needs to be gone. Complications are due to the fact my OH is
    from SA, every two years we have had about 2,000 to pay out for visa’s we also have to send money back to SA to family over there. Luckily the next visa in 2.5 years time will be for citizenship but could cost about 3,000.

1 year ago I quit my well paid but horrendous job and started working in admin and a horrifying low wage but without any of the stress. I’m a bit bored now but love my team and organisation so hopeful that I can change my role within the team and have it be a bit more interesting and more money!! Between me and OH we earn just under 40,000 a year so where the hell does it go!?
    Things holding us back – my OH is terrible with money (not that I am perfect) although he is getting better its hard. We also both smoke….. Switched to role ups and have halved the costs but still for our bank balance/ health and hope to have kids we have to stop this. My mental health is also a bit of a problem with on and off depression and anxiety making things tricky.
    I control our spending except for OH’s allowance which he often runs out of far too early considering how much he gets. For last 3 months have stopped putting anything on cards, have redecorated down stairs without making more debt and have paid off about 100 a month. Also started a savings account for Christmas and OH’s car insurance next year in hope to not spend ages paying debt just to get back into it when a big bill comes along! Did all the switching energy suppliers etc to save money but just seems to end up in black hole. Also started cycling to and from work which saves on bus fair and is good for health!
    Other big expense is I am have driving lessons at the moment which is holding back the debt repayment and feeling frustrating but has to be done if hope to get this other job ~(and just because in life it is good idea!!)
    Been reading lots of diarys and found so many people inspiring yet I still seem to run through money with nothing to show for it…. So hoping this will keep my on track!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Jessica; 30-05-2017 at 2:32 PM.
    10 month debt free challenge + trip to South Africa starting on the 21st of July 2017!

Starting point: £9000 needed to clear debt and pay for the holiday
    Now: £720£9000 paid......... £8300 to go!
    8%PAYED
Page 13
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 18th Apr 17, 10:39 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    Finally caught up - I hope things are better now, and you've been able to relax and take a bit of time for yourself. This is something I need to remind myself to do, it's so easy to get caught up in the whirl of everything that needs to be done at once and then feel terrible when you can't do it. I've found so many things in Honey Bear's post that apply to me as well...
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • jvr
    • By jvr 19th Apr 17, 8:07 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Oooops been a bit absent again!

Thanks for the messages - and you will find Misty, that I get most of my wisdom from Honey Bear!

I've not really done an SOA as switched everything to the cheapest deals so my 'bills' are not very high, biggest expense is OH's phone bill but that's fair enough with family in SA...... my problem is def day to day spending and FOOD!

OH was complaining that all his clothes were so old, so I gave him the remaining M&S vouchers from switching bank and the £25 I got from work, we went last week and he got some nice bits and then we went to the food hall..... told him to go look for yellow sticker items and can you believe it... he got SO into it and some fab bargains mostly put in the freezer... bill from £100 was only £13 once I used the vouchers
    So May should be our last really tricky month moneywise as the dog needs spayed (£220) and we have the cottage for sisters wedding to pay for. Anything left will repay the overdraft and keep up minimum payments on the cc.
    Interview is Monday and thankfully work will pay for the train to the other office down South (£97) need to finish my presentation urgently!
    Otherwise things are pretty quiet and I'm just waiting for pay day on Friday, also just heard that need to send latest pay slip and then mortgage should be organised. They have put a higher estimate of the value of the house than the original bank we looked at applying to
    10 month debt free challenge + trip to South Africa starting on the 21st of July 2017!

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 4th May 17, 10:16 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Absent again.

Interview went really well and then heard yesterday I didn't get the job... someone else internally got it who was always going to get it. But apparently I should feel really positive that I was a close second. Not feeling too positive infact feel really lost.
    What do I do now? I love the organisation I work for but I'm bored in my job and get paid nothing. We also want to think about trying for children so if I leave that screws with that due to maternity pay. Do I stay and hope something else comes up or do I leave and risk the maternity pay and that another organisation wont give me the positives this one does.
    Bleugh just want to curl up in a ball today

8%PAYED
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 44,872 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Bummer. Sorry to hear you missed out on the job. I don't know what to suggest other than to keep an eye out for vacancies in other organisations that you think you'd like to work for. I think the hardest part of that decision is that you love the organisation that you're currently with, and it's very hard to find that kind of relationship with another employer straight away. Is there anyone in the current set up who you can talk this through with because I've no doubt they won't want to lose you? Also, if you're looking for an extended role, there may be plans afoot that you don't know about that might lead to them needing your additional skills that aren't being used at the moment, hence the boredom.
    Keeping it AF
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th May 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,399 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hey JVR - I echo what Honey Bear says, some really sound advice. Hope you're feeling a bit more positive now.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (5/15)
    • jvr
    • By jvr 16th May 17, 8:25 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Thank you for the messages, I read them but was still busy sulking! Don't worry I am over myself now....
    Quick update... my sisters wedding at the weekend was amazing! Feeling glum yesterday as it was all over! The weekend before had my friends hen do in a cottage with the ex friend and left feeling very confused as for the first time since the fall out I actually missed her....

Money

Erm...... so confession time! Drastically overspent! Because of paying for car insurance and then putting an extra £500 of overspends on the overdraft I am basically back to my starting point. I need to get my head in gear so I am going to start posting more regularly detailing my spends and hoping this puts me off getting the card out! Realised that always run out to soon so going to try give small allowance on my pay day (21st) and more on OH's pay day on 1st and see if can do better that way.
    Other things to consider......... dog ate OH's passport so will need a trip to the embassy in London. Cousins wedding in July which will be a b&b stay. will turn the trip to London for passport into a little night away and we can stay with my lovely friend which will save us money and make it all feel less of a chore!
    Today
    Bought a lighter (yes I am still smoking)
    Got breakfast and lunch with me and dinner will be on work as I am working till 9pm tonight for an event but no other spends needed.

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 16th May 17, 10:27 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Forgot to add re job........... so absolutely gutted and still not 100% sure what I want to do. I really like the organisation and if we want to try for kids I would get maternity pay and flexible working afterwards..... but I am quite bored and my pay is terrible....
    But.... if I moved I would only get statutory m pay and most organisations are not as flexible as this one is :/ its a difficult decision so for now staying put see what comes up and keep an eye out if anything special comes up elsewhere

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 17th May 17, 9:37 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    So couple extra spends yesterday £1.60 on crisps and chocolate. Mainly due to not having enough lunch with me but since i got a free dinner i am sure it evened out.
    Got my bike out to cycle to work this morning but was so exhausted from working late last night i got the bus... £4 i didnt need to spend but since i cycle 90% of the time i try not to feel guilty about that.
    Today need to buy lunch as no time to prep last night, but managed to bring some brekkie in and a snack, plus pitta bread so just need to grab something to go with that. Counting down till pay day on friday!!!

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 19th May 17, 12:14 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Very few spends last few days but messed up with some stuff coming out of my account and so been charged. My own stupid fault but onwards and upwards. Just been paid so sent all the money to various accounts and going attempt to keep on track this month with my spreadsheet. We have various extra things coming up over the next couple of months so sent money to savings to try cover that. CC stands at 4,467 and still have overdraft, just had to put 350 on that for remortgage but should get that back once all goes through - fingers crossed!
    Got told yesterday got 1325 pay rise which should kick in next pay day every bit helps!!
    Tonight have a friends leaving meal as she moves home to Estonia - will prob just not drink to keep spends low, she knows im skint to should be okay.
    Car had issue but fixed for 65, OH's passport still needs to be replace, wedding in July, dog needs to still go get spayed and our kitchen floor is desperatly needing replaced.
    Feel a bit like im clinging on by the skin of my teeth
    Also just realised paying some interest on cc that i didnt know about, must keep more on top of things!!

. Going to start weekly internet shop as think going to the supermarket is a bit of a downfall!
    - this week has been more bus fares and lunch than normal but next week will be back to cycling and bringing food, going to attempt no spends monday - friday and see how i do feel like if can get through this month and actually stick to it can start to turn this situation around.

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 24th May 17, 11:55 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Been off ill for the last two days still feeling very rough but back in work.
    Last friday was both lovely and sad knowing my friend is leaving but we have a tv and vac from her the dinner was delicious but having looked at the menu and thought it was a good price I was a bit shocked to arrive and realise what i thought were mains were infact tapas so a bit more spendy than i had hoped for.

Had a builder over to look at our sloping kitchen floor - he is a family friend now so i knew would get a very fair price. it is about 30mm lower in one corner. He has given us great price for leveling and then we just need to choose tile or lino. We want tile but it will depend on cost.

8%PAYED
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 25th May 17, 8:50 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,399 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning JVR, hope you're feeling a bit better today.

Gotta love tapas but it can prove to be a bit expensive when you add on lots of dishes.
    NSD (5/15)
    • jvr
    • By jvr 25th May 17, 12:40 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Thanks Speky, alot better today sunshine def helps!
    Have one week left till OH's pay day and doing pretty well Need to get to Nationwide which is quite a trek from my work as when i closed the current account and transferred it left 100 in a savings account which i can't transfer out of but need it to pay for the dog being spayed next week. About 200 quid which amazingly i have actually budgeted for!! Just leaves kitchen floor and OH's passport as expensive things to sort but feeling hopefull

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 26th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Well slipped last night and had fish and chips.... so worth it though! Think OH is having a tough time at work but its so hard as he comes back in foul mood and i end up so tense and wishing he was still at work! Sounds horrible but its draining, he can then suddenly flip out of his mood and be all chirpy and never understands why other people don't suddenly flip with him..... ah well i should probably try be more sympathetic.
    Going to have to be a quiet bank holiday as OH not paid till wendesday will get back to park run in the morning, hopefully some fence paininting and then going to a friends for dinner and to plan our speech for our other friends wedding, only issue is that although she doesnt live too far it would be minimum two buses if OH not back from work yet :/ Sunday i think OH is off so will try plan something nice in for then. Otherwise just plodding on, bit stressed that remortgage still not completed but hopefully final papers will be sent today and we won't have too much longer on a high rate.

8%PAYED
    • jvr
    • By jvr 30th May 17, 2:35 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Had a great bank holiday - just gutted they are over till August now!
    Did park run on Saturday and then went for a picnic with friends, got caught in the down pour but then the sun came out, a sheep ate half the picnic.... never seen one so brazen! Then had very chilled Sunday and Monday with an 8km run on Monday which is the furthest I have gone ... only 6 weeks to my 10k so getting prepared!
    Finances not perfect but okay should just about get through the month paying for floor to be redone in the kitchen and the dog being spayed tomorrow.

Made the decision to start looking for other jobs, feels scary as we still want to try for kids but I need more of a challenge and more money! It's not like the maternity package at my work is so incredible or anything so gonna start applying for other jobs

8%PAYED
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 1st Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hi JVR!

I've just caught up with you, I am so sorry about the job but delighted you had a fab bank holiday. I too had a wedding to deal with, in Holland, so that was somewhat pricier than had bargained for (largely because my partner hadn't factored in nearly enough euros for himself so guess who ended up picking up the tab...) but it was lovely anyway.

Good luck finding amazing jobs to apply for!!
    Credit Card Debt: £875
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £130

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 41% paid 3445/8280[/
    • jvr
    • By jvr 1st Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Hi Popps - why are these things always pricier than we imagine!
    Budget for the month is very tight - basically no debt repayment due to dog being spayed and kitchen floor being done.

She was spayed yesterday and was so out of it all evening I felt so sorry for her - much brighter today and struggling to get her no to jump at all! OH slept downstairs to keep an eye on her last night and I am working from home today
    Having bit of an issue with a colleague.... its so subtly I have constantly thought it was in my head but this morning something happened again and I felt undermined. Its only when our line manager is away and always so little that if I brought it up feel ridiculous but it is constant. She acts like my manager when our manager is away when she isn't and often makes little digs. Today felt really angry so emailed to ask why she hadn't spoken to me and had instead told another team to basically ignore what I had told them. I'm getting paranoid now that maybe she is also undermining me to our manager :/ maybe I don't like my job as much as I thought!
    Applied yesterday for another role which would be awesome, its more money but not loads in a less corporate environment... only downside is that its only a 6 month initial contract

8%PAYED
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 1st Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 44,872 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Good luck with the job application JVR. Sorry I'm not contributing at the moment - life is very, very busy and I'm struggling to keep up.
    Keeping it AF
    • jvr
    • By jvr 6th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Thanks Honey, when you get a moment to breathe let me know how you’re getting on!
    So in a way today I have increased our cc debt…. In what I hope is not a bad way. We have paid off a chunk over last 8 months but been really bad at acknowledging costs and a real budget… so car insurance comes around and we didn’t have it so paid in full on my overdraft and then had to pay out some money to remortgage and then as already in overdraft little bit more money slipped out… felt really stressed trying to use an account for petrol and food that was always in –
    So, first thing I did was set up a joint nationwide account with OH.. never had joint account before. This account costs £10 a month but is breakdown cover and travel insurance and phone insurance for us both. So this account with no overdraft will be food and petrol funds separate to everything else.
    One of my credit cards had a good offer on for money transfer so have paid off the overdraft – will get a small amount back from remortgage still but not figured that in yet till its in my hands! This card will be relegated to the house as emergency what if something happened to OH family and needed expensive plane tickets. Before putting the car insurance on we had done well and not touched the overdraft so im not too worried about adding things on…
    I have also calculated £250 to cc every month… this would take nearer two years to pay off but is better than my adhoc delusional plans I have been working towards…
    I have also allocated money to next years car insurance
    And the SA fund for holiday
    And savings… my plan is that I will have the money should anything go wrong and if not build up a chunk to go towards debt freedom…..
    I feel really positive and think I can shift this… so although debt on cc has gone up I haven’t actually borrowed more money and I now realise that psychologically I am better paying off less debt each month and having savings to work towards than throwing whatever is there and then needing to borrow when things come up?

8%PAYED
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Jun 17, 9:08 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,399 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    JVR - Glad you're feeling positive about it all. Everyone is different in their approach to getting rid of debt. Personally I wanted rid of it as soon as, so I didn't have any savings and every spare penny I had went towards that. But as you point out, the moment an expected spend arises, you're back to square one.

You seem confident in your plan and you've clearly thought your decisions through which is a sign you've learned from mistakes in the past and you should take great pride in that.
    NSD (5/15)
    • jvr
    • By jvr 8th Jun 17, 11:20 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    jvr
    Thanks Speky
    Feeling way more in control will update properly totals at the end of the month as have also incorporated OH's card with argos of £300. I nearly did add it on to a 0% card last year but was wisely told here that he needs to learn about finances and get involved... he has been paying some off each month out of his allowance but with such high interest rates is struggling. Now he is way more onboard with everything I have combined our debts on to 0% and we had a good chat about our new plan which is all carefully entered onto a spreadsheet.
    I am not going crazy and attempting to live on next to nothing, hopefully doing this can build up some savings to do the work on the house which is a much better use of money while also saving to go to South Africa and paying 250 off the debt each month.

8%PAYED
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,499Posts Today

4,832Users online

Martin's Twitter