Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jvr
    • By jvr 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 228Posts
    • 817Thanks
    jvr
    Changing habits, wanting freedom
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    Changing habits, wanting freedom 3rd Oct 16 at 11:17 AM
    So finally looking at starting a diary, need something to keep me on track! So debt stands at 5,481.43 was originally about 6,000 6 months ago. It’s a mixture of spending due to buying our first house and not adjusting to me being on a much lower income down about 10,000 a year.
    So I am 27 and live with my OH and two dogs and one cat. We want to think about having children soonish and the debt needs to be gone. Complications are due to the fact my OH is
    from SA, every two years we have had about 2,000 to pay out for visa’s we also have to send money back to SA to family over there. Luckily the next visa in 2.5 years time will be for citizenship but could cost about 3,000.

1 year ago I quit my well paid but horrendous job and started working in admin and a horrifying low wage but without any of the stress. I’m a bit bored now but love my team and organisation so hopeful that I can change my role within the team and have it be a bit more interesting and more money!! Between me and OH we earn just under 40,000 a year so where the hell does it go!?
    Things holding us back – my OH is terrible with money (not that I am perfect) although he is getting better its hard. We also both smoke….. Switched to role ups and have halved the costs but still for our bank balance/ health and hope to have kids we have to stop this. My mental health is also a bit of a problem with on and off depression and anxiety making things tricky.
    I control our spending except for OH’s allowance which he often runs out of far too early considering how much he gets. For last 3 months have stopped putting anything on cards, have redecorated down stairs without making more debt and have paid off about 100 a month. Also started a savings account for Christmas and OH’s car insurance next year in hope to not spend ages paying debt just to get back into it when a big bill comes along! Did all the switching energy suppliers etc to save money but just seems to end up in black hole. Also started cycling to and from work which saves on bus fair and is good for health!
    Other big expense is I am have driving lessons at the moment which is holding back the debt repayment and feeling frustrating but has to be done if hope to get this other job ~(and just because in life it is good idea!!)
    Been reading lots of diarys and found so many people inspiring yet I still seem to run through money with nothing to show for it…. So hoping this will keep my on track!
    Credit cards: £6000 now £4650 aim to be debt free (ignoring mortgage and student loans) by Dec 2017
Page 11
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 4th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 42,291 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Good luck with the weightloss for the wedding.

Juggling and planning finances is always tricky because we all forget some of the expenses, like the arrangement fee which is why we need a financial cushion being us, rather than a maxed out overdraft. If you can salt away an emergency fund as part of your debt-busting you'll be in a better position in the future. I keep a Credit Union account, into which I put my annual sealed pot savings, and two pound coin collection. In an emergency, having shovelled money in there once or twice a year for five years it would see me through and I don't miss it while I'm saving it. Even if you only get into the habit of saving your coppers from your purse at the end of the week, it's still saving.

I think the odd takeaway is bound to happen because that's how you used to live. Don't beat yourself up about it, but next time you're meal planning, take a look at what's up and coming and when you're likely to fall back on a takeaway so that you can have a fakeaway set by. In a perfect world, of course, where no-one ever made a mistake.

Your concerns about up and coming events with your ex-best friend is planning at it's absolute best, because you're treating the potential for a disaster as real - which it is. I can honestly say there are times when, frankly, adding booze to a difficult situation is absolutely guaranteed to end in tears, and the get together in May is one of them. As is the planned birthday get together, which I think is tonight. Can you actually afford this expensive taxi ride, and do you really need to drink? If you are dreading it rather than looking forward to going out, can you rethink how you plan to spend it? It might be worth considering driving and then you can't drink, which would solve most of the potential problems.

If you weaken an have one, you can always get a taxi back which is money you were planning on spending anyway, but the truth is, once you've decided that you'd be better off not drinking you'd probably be more relaxed about seeing this person who's caused so much angst. Just a thought.
    Keeping it AF
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 4th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Good luck JVR!

I struggle to focus on saving money and losing weight at the same time, which means I usually fail at both hahaha.

Best wishes for succeeding and losing weight AND winning £104
    CC 1 £780 / CC 2 £0.00 /
    Overdraft £0 / Loan £7,500
    Savings: £70/£1000

PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 23% paid 1932.17/8280
    • jvr
    • By jvr 6th Mar 17, 8:16 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Helloo

Good point about the emergency fund... keep thinking if I have not much to put aside there is no point but even finding 5 a month is worth it.. will just add extra to my bill money account and hopefully can create a little buffer

So Saturday night, couldn't drive as OH had the car for work but had been climbing at bouldering wall with me friend she kindly chauffeured me there and back so got a taxi to hers and she made me dinner before the others arrived of course ex best friend and her oh were first to arrive so it was a very awkward 10 mins before everyone came. I limited drinks to some very lovely gin offered by my friend and then managed to jump in the car with our friend who was driving to town instead of getting a taxi. I didn't stay long but two others left with me so we shared a taxi and split the cost. Total spends for evening came to £15. Happy with that and no hang over was all very awkward evening and I'm glad its over. Lots of people had lots and lots of opinions about the whole situation which I politely ignored and just got on with things, get the feeling now the group of girls think I will be happy to hang out with her there too but she's just not someone I want to see so aside from special occasions I will decline that fun!
    Sunday I did a huge aldi shop! £75... in aldi!! but got absolutely loads and all stuff for meal plan or for replacing in freezer/ cupboards. Have planned my week out so lots of healthy nice foods for my lunches and dinners. Spent the evening on the sofa with OH and the dogs and now the weekend is already over... why does it go so fast?! Half day tomorrow as have the boiler man coming and then I am at a work group thing at another office on Wednesday so think that will help the week fly by Doing some additional work for my old boss as she is in the city with only one pa and that girl will need a break, some extra pennies hopefully .... can put them in my buffer fund!!

Hope everyone is well
    Credit cards: £6000 now £4650 aim to be debt free (ignoring mortgage and student loans) by Dec 2017
    • jvr
    • By jvr 7th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Morning

This sunshine is making such a difference to my mood! Had to pay out £40 for yoga pass yesterday, I know longer have a membership as now I can use the £200 a year learning allowance to buy passes. Hopefully will be reimbursed soon. Otherwise no spends. Me ex-employer didn't make it to Leeds as her pa is sick so no extra money this week but very much enjoyed my evening on the sofa instead.
    Today I leave work early for the plumber to come look at our boiler and shower, fingers crossed is easy fix!! but will be £120 out today for that. Spendy week so far in once sense but all planned so not too bad.
    Have to get the train to another office tomorrow so tempted to go buy a flask tonight even if cost a £5 and is more than I would spend on coffee tomorrow it will get used again, will also bring breakfast for the train and we get a buffet for lunch so planning on spending nothing else.
    I have been invited to a friends for dinner on Thursday because OH was going to be off and I can have the car but now he is working and I think she will be annoyed but I will have to cancel. No buses between out houses and getting tax's would be more than going out for dinner, she doesn't like coming to mine because of the dogs :/ Made me feel even more fed up of things without transport as at moment even when I plan around the car OH suddenly changes his shifts without telling me.

But at least its sunny!!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Mar 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 10,092 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Well I'm glad to hear it's sunny somewhere, it certainly isn't here.

I'm looking forward to summer. Like you, the good weather just makes you feel better.

Hope the plumber is cheap!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (13/12)
    • Cortney
    • By Cortney 7th Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Cortney
    It's not sunny in my town
    JVR, have a good day!
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 7th Mar 17, 7:08 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    JWPopps
    It was lovely and sunny here today! That's such a shame about your plans, but also a shame your friend doesn't come to you sometimes! Hope you get something sorted car wise
    CC 1 £780 / CC 2 £0.00 /
    Overdraft £0 / Loan £7,500
    Savings: £70/£1000

PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 23% paid 1932.17/8280
    • jvr
    • By jvr 9th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    So my heat exchanger has gone so £78 for the service and £200 for that to be fixed! Borrowing it from OH's next visa fund as still two years away and setting up standing order to repay at £20 a month so basically giving myself a finance deal haha.
    Looking around at the house and so much needs done, some things will cost more money like new carpet in hall and stair but others aren't going to be crazy expensive a lot of it is just painting. Looking at that Dulux paint that is wipeable as the dogs can cause chaos and mud ruined a lot of the paintwork. Also plan is garden, my mum is kindly giving me some pots to start growing veg this year and see how I get on, then if manage will look at making a proper veg plot next year. So I need to sort them out and dig a flower bed and I want some hanging baskets none of that should cost a fortune just so sick of having this great space just look like nothing special!
    Potential better paid job come up at work in another team, no idea if its really a possibility so trying not to get hopes up but it would be a decent amount more than I earn now and involve lots of training opportunities! Just going to show lots of enthusiasm and see what happens...
    Sun is out again hope it reaches everyone who missed out the other day!!
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 10,092 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good luck with the job. I agree that showing your eager might help when it comes to the selection process or looking through applications.

Some of the inexpensive plans sounds nice and can make a big difference too. Amazing what a lick of paint can do.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    NSD (13/12)
    • jvr
    • By jvr 14th Mar 17, 9:42 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    So job change isn't looking hopeful but is something to aim towards and possibility work will pay for apprentiship for further training...

Boiler is fixed so no longer have to hear OH shouting and swearing in the shower when it turns cold

And hidden in the small print of this post ... (I spent 200 on overdraft for the garden) It now has a lovely flowers and I have pots ready to grow my veg.... I think I should feel more guilty :/ next month there is no way to afford everything in one month (hen do / stag / car insurance / huge dog being spade) so will dip into overdraft for that in order to pay in full and will then be evened out the month after..... yea I know bad budgeting planning!!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 15th Mar 17, 9:15 AM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 42,291 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I rather had the feeling you were going to spend some money on the garden! It's well worth going to car boot sales if you decide you need more stuff for the garden. Lots of people use them to make a bit of money by growing plants and selling them, and even more people use them to get rid of their pots and any other garden gibble they don't need any more. You've now got the basics - which I think of as Instant Gardening - so if you need more stuff that might be a guilt-free way of doing it. And yes, I do realise you don't actually feel guilty at the moment!

As to the expense of the heat exchanger - emergencies happen. We all need an emergency fund for things like that and I've taken my own advice and got back into salting away all of the coppers in my own purse again, which I got very lazy about. And my £2 coins. Every little helps.

I hope there's good news on the job front fairly soon. It sounds as though you don't find your current role extends you, and we all need to have an outlet for our creativity. I think I've come to the conclusion that learning is about creating new neural pathways and seems to work for me in the same way for me as actually creating something new from scratch - like a garden, or a patchwork quilt or writing a novel. Either way, it stops me getting bored which leads to me making mischief.
    Keeping it AF
    • MistyMountainTop
    • By MistyMountainTop 15th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 1,395 Thanks
    MistyMountainTop
    just popping by to say hello! I need to catch up on what's been going on, hopefully later this evening
    Current Weight Loss: 2/ 96
    • jvr
    • By jvr 21st Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Been a bit absent again....

So money... pay day today whoop! Not really looked yet where we are gonna be a hell of an expensive month. Still trying to sort remortgaging in and hoping it happens before I go to the standard rate at the end of the month.. we shall see! Just gonna try keep spends low this month and see where we are at the end.
    To pay extra this month

Car insurance - £600
    Dog spaying - 220
    Hen do - £50
    Stag do - hmmmm gonna guess about £150 all in

Then normal bills and life on top! Gonna pay £100 of debt and accept will be slightly in overdraft again.
    Been busy with work and there are few potential opportunities one is a 9month maternity cover which would give me enough extra after tax to clear debt... wouldn't that be nice!! Went back to park run on sat and managed the whole 5k without stopping! Might not sound like much to some but before I began cycling I couldn't run for 10 mins and this I did in 33mins so really pleased... also went to a local running group joined the group doing walk and run so with looping back to catch up with slower people we did 6k. Def loosing weight and feeling good. As had been out and about with work all day and cycled came in at 21000 steps on my fit bit and calorie burn just over 3000 :0 and the other great thing about both these groups is they are FREE! Sis wants me to come and try a kick boxing class next week which we used to do at another centre you can pay as you go so that's good and would be nice to get back into it as it is a great tension burner.
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 21st Mar 17, 10:32 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    5km without stopping is really good well done :-) Have you had a work weigh in recently?

Running is ace for fat burning i can spend ages on cross trainers/rowing machines etc etc but i get more benefit doing 1-2 longer runs a week
    Debts 16349.33
    • jvr
    • By jvr 21st Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Thanks Scott

Down 4lbs in the two weeks but can also feel I have built a bit of muscle weigh in is tomorrow so fingers crossed (would really like to win that money haha)
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 21st Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    what did we decide my cut was again lol

Well done re the loss all good, muscle weighs more than fat per kg but remember ensure you are properly hydrated pre the weigh in and eat clean before hand all this will help. If your not hydrated your body my hold extra fluids ie weigh in fail
    Debts 16349.33
    • jvr
    • By jvr 21st Mar 17, 11:15 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Haha nice try!

Doing well with water at work as keep a 2lt bottle on my desk and make sure I drink that during the work day but struggle at the weekend. Might have to set alarms until it becomes more of a habit! Need to look at those tablets you mentioned as doing this running and then having to cycle first thing in a morning is painful!

Someone at running suggested I get a protein powder for days I cycle and run.... anyone (looking at you scott) know much about them... seem so many to choose from!
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 21st Mar 17, 11:55 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    It will help with your recovery definitely i would try one by a company called PHD, i use one called phd diet whey its around 20 quid a kg, you can get it on ebay too and tescos and asda tend to sell it.

Phd diet i use it as it has in CLA and green tea in the protein already so its great for weight loss and recovery, i take it twice a day post training and as i mini meal when at work with a banana. A good cod liver or flaxseed oil will help with your joints too.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/phd-nutrition-diet-whey-belgian-chocolate-1kg/212-2450.prd?source=others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PhD-Nutrition-Diet-Whey-1kg-High-Lean-Protein-Weight-Loss-Slimming-Shake-/121317669850?var=&hash=item1c3f18bbda:m:mfR5y7moEX boZS3TrFmhTJQ
    Debts 16349.33
    • jvr
    • By jvr 21st Mar 17, 2:22 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    Scott to the rescue again! Thanks will look at getting that If I win I really am gonna have to give you a cut at this rate!
    • jvr
    • By jvr 22nd Mar 17, 10:18 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    jvr
    So weigh in this morning... 1lb on I realise could just be normal part of weight fluctuation as I feel like I am losing weight but still annoying. Going to tighten up diet a bit, especially days like today when I drove in and not cycled. So plan is basically to cut down on carbs and add more veg... and skip the cheats I am having as yes I don't mind it coming off slowly as I want to keep it off but I could do more without feeling deprived. Will also look at some protein powder Scott kindly suggested for when I get home from cycling absolutely starving.

Money wise no spends yesterday, today put petrol in the car and will go to the shop for some salad stuff for lunches so all good necessary spends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

764Posts Today

6,053Users online

Martin's Twitter