Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NicoRe
    • By NicoRe 3rd Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NicoRe
    Planning on moving out to rent my first own flat
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    Planning on moving out to rent my first own flat 3rd Oct 16 at 10:24 AM
    Hey guys,

Hope you all had a good start in this week.

So err long story short is, that me and my girlfriend are planning on leaving her parents house(I moved from Germany to England) to move into a flat which we want to rent, as we cant handle them anymore and we want to be on our own. So I don't earn a lot but its about £17.000 a year and the first thing I need to know is, if its possible to afford a flat and car with that salary?

I already found flats from around £450- £650 and they all look really nice and big enough for two. It also always showed an estimated price + water + gas + electric + council tax where all where about 550- 750.

Based on that, do you guys think that my salary is enough? My girlfriend also works part time by the way

Can you guys maybe send me a list of things that I have to pay for when living in a flat so I know what I have to do before moving?

I got so many more questions because I have never been in such a situation before in my life and I just wanna do it right and be able to 'start' a new life. So if you have any other important and good tips, please let me know.

Thanks for your help and time, I appreciate it.

I'm 20 btw if its important
    Girlfriend is 18, and has 1 year left at college before she goes to uni
    Last edited by NicoRe; 03-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    CIS
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:54 AM
    I already found flats from around £450- £650 and they all look really nice and big enough for two. It also always showed an estimated price + water + gas + electric + council tax where all where about 550- 750.
    You can check the exact council tax charge online - http://www.mycounciltax.org.uk/content/index

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    CIS
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:55 AM
    Girlfriend is 18, and has 1 year left at college before she goes to uni
    Is she full time ? - Ask your council whether or not she qualifies for a council tax disregard (which gives you a 25% reduction).

Craig
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 55,950 Posts
    • 321,472 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 10:58 AM
    A figure agents often use to decide if you can afford is a %age of your salary.

For simplicity the figure is £600/month rent on a £18k salary.
    • NicoRe
    • By NicoRe 3rd Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NicoRe
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:18 AM
    Is she full time ? - Ask your council whether or not she qualifies for a council tax disregard (which gives you a 25% reduction).

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    She is working part time at the moment, we dont know if we will change it when we live in the flat.... if we move
    • Lord Baltimore
    • By Lord Baltimore 3rd Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 1,182 Thanks
    Lord Baltimore
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:27 AM
    When you say you can't handle the in laws/parents any more I assume this means you can no longer come to terms with the compromise of living with them. You'll be making an even bigger financial compromise if you rent your own place and it will test your relationship in a different way. Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Disclaimer: I make it up as I go along.
    • NicoRe
    • By NicoRe 3rd Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NicoRe
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:38 AM
    When you say you can't handle the in laws/parents any more I assume this means you can no longer come to terms with the compromise of living with them. You'll be making an even bigger financial compromise if you rent your own place and it will test your relationship in a different way. Good luck, whatever you decide.
    Originally posted by Lord Baltimore
    Its not that, because they said and still say we can stay there as long as we want and I also offer to pay for certain things all the time....the problem is that the mum is an alcoholic ( which everybody says but the mum doesn't see it), she has times where she makes life a living hell for everyone and it literally just makes you go crazy having to live there...the step dad and mum just are horrible and immature and and and..thats why we wanna leave asap
    Last edited by NicoRe; 03-10-2016 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Language
    • essjae
    • By essjae 3rd Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    essjae
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    Hi NicoRe,

Here are the approximate monthly costs that I have for two people in a 2-bed flat:

Water: £20 (on a meter)
    Gas & Electric: £55 (average over the year)
    Council Tax: £80
    Telephone & Internet: £17

If this is the first time you have lived independently, it may be worth considering renting somewhere where some or all of these bills are included.

Other costs to consider:
    Tenancy fees
    TV licence
    Parking permits
    Contents insurance
    Initial equipment not provided by landlord (eg tv, stereo, pots & pans, crockery, vacuum cleaner, kettle, etc)
    Furniture (if renting somewhere unfurnished)
    Food/groceries (if you don't already cook separately from your GF's parents)

And probably plenty of other things which I can't think of right now!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 15,613 Posts
    • 11,323 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    She is working part time at the moment, we dont know if we will change it when we live in the flat.... if we move
    Originally posted by NicoRe
    The question was not aimed at how much she is working but whether she is regarded as attending college full time, as it's full time students that get the council tax disregard.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 16, 12:11 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    CIS
    Originally posted by NicoRe
    Working wouldn't effect whether or not she is classed as a student for Council Tax discount purposes.

Craig
    • NicoRe
    • By NicoRe 3rd Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NicoRe
    Working wouldn't effect whether or not she is classed as a student for Council Tax discount purposes.

Craig
    Originally posted by CIS
    Okay I see what you mean, she definitely is classified as a student
    • AimHigh
    • By AimHigh 11th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AimHigh
    Hi NicoRe,

I am currently going through the exact same process so thought I'd share a list of costs I've pulled together that may be worth considering. It is by no means a definitive list but I hope it helps:

Rent
    Car insurance
    Breakdown cover
    Car tax
    MOT
    Maintenance and repair (car)
    Christmas (gifts)
    Contents insurance
    Electricity
    Gas
    Water
    TV licence
    Broadband
    Line rental
    Council tax
    Service charges (maintenance etc, often included in rent)
    Student loans
    Mobile phone
    Food
    Clothes
    Hobbies (Gym, clubs etc)
    Entertainment (netflix, amazon prime, apple music, spotify, sky etc)
    Fuel
    Healthcare (dentist, healthcare products e.g. toothpaste, toilet paper, hair products etc)
    Savings?
    Public transport
    Eating out
    Misc (uncategorised spending)
    Birthdays (gifts)
    Deposit
    Letting agency fee
    Furniture
    Kitchen items (white goods, utensils etc)

Many things are, or can be, one off payments but it all adds up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,077Posts Today

5,380Users online

Martin's Twitter