Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 3rd Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    • 5,457Posts
    • 28,770Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do this week? wk comm 3rd October
    • 3rd Oct 16, 7:13 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? wk comm 3rd October 3rd Oct 16 at 7:13 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £172.44 Roadkill £4.89
Page 4
    • pixiechick99
    • By pixiechick99 8th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    Evening people
    I used to post here a while ago (well, years ago!) and I need to get myself back in a more MSE-way of living.
    I live with my 2 daughters, one of whom has just left for uni in London, so just me and the 17 year old. So, less tax credits and housing benefit for me...hence the need to sort myself out again!

I used to be good at having NSDs so I'll be aiming for more of those. Dd2 has money from her weekend job, though she's in between jobs now as that one was refusing to lower her hours at weekends and she's in 2nd year of sixth form, needs time to work! 19hours over the weekend and then Mon-Fri at school was wearing her out But, she has money for herself so I should be able to spend much less.

Ok, enough of are my small things for his weekend:
    Food shopping in L1dl for the 1st time - I'm well and truly converted! Spent £20
    No takeaway - made my own chicken fried rice with spring rolls last night and just nibbles tonight as dd is out.
    get washing out on the line to dry
    check eBay listing...get more bits on there
    cinema today (both of us used NUS cards for discount)
    baked a banana loaf for my Mums birthday
    pack up returns for N£xt...I don't need the stuff

Ok, ink that's my lot for now! Happy weekend everyone
    DFW Nerd #1135
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 28,770 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi pixie! Lovely to see you again wow how time flies!

Man it is bucketing it down here. Not sure what we'll do today but yesterday oh & dgd were touting to go swimming. I'm reluctant because of the cost, it's been an expensive month for me so don't have any spare cash now until payday... Might have to whip up a creative crafty storm at home to divert attention and suggest a wellied walk in the woods

opps forgot to look at the meal plan and get something out yesterday - more creativity! done got some gammon out to make a pasta bake

I plan to:

* list some blinking things on fleabay
    * do something with all these apples before it's too late
    * nip to the lottie to pick up some bits and pick anything that needs picking
    * portion and freeze curried lentil, parsnip & apple soup made last night
    * usual bags, clothes & lunches ready for tomorrow
    * use up apple crumble with dinner tonight
    * sew buttons on mac
    * update spending diary
    * make a veg lasagne & a couple of pizza bases for later in the week when working
    * going to have a go at making hm "comforter" bazz fizz bars (similar to what you get at L*sh) oh got 90% of the ingredients from his work so all I needed to get was bicarb of soda & cream of tartar very excited by this!
    * go round the house and make sure all plug sockets not being used are switched off
    * chopped and froze a load of celery
    * had los for lunch

Other than that just general fun & relaxing times with fam Happy Sunday y'all x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 09-10-2016 at 4:32 PM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th Oct 16, 10:26 AM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 28,770 Thanks
    determined new ms
    just been super geeky and priced up the cost of the 2 (almost) vege lasagna's (almost as have put 2 slices of smoked bacon and a beef stock cube to fool oh's meat addiction ) I'm making. Works out £1.42 per lasagna and I reckon there'll be lo's for work the next day
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 9th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    Hi all! Hope everyones had a lovely weekend and a chilled out Sunday! I've been food shopping this morning, managed to spend £40 which includes a meal for every evening so I'm happy about that Then went to bingo this afternoon, £10 all in, ended up winning £25 so more than happy! Anyway today I have/will do:
    - Check bank accounts - Done
    - Meals from home - OH treated me to lunch at bingo
    - Surveys/Swagbucks
    - Quick tidy up and do washing - Done

That's me for today
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016 | Baby Boy Due on 21/11/2016
    October NSD 5/15
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th Oct 16, 5:41 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 8,148 Thanks
    Well done on the win katy-Ann

Late post but good day all round :

Made muffins and waffles from stores for breakfast guests rather than going out
    Just bought cauliflower for tonight's meal. Was rather large, so cooked rest off to put with rest of cheese sauce from left over lasagne on Friday for cauli cheese tomorrow. Used c/b contactless card
    Left over of tonight's meal portioned up for work lunches
    Friends birthday, card and present from stash
    Ran locally for free exercise
    Managed to nearly dry a load outside before the rain came
    Ordered a new duvet and pillows to collect tomorrow using c/b
    Sold a fleabay item and at least 2 more will sell tonight
    Made packed lunches for tomorrow
    Put 2 loads of washing away I dried outside yesterday
    Hoovered upstairs
    DH changed bed, wm loaded to be on overnight

Will have a quiet night with DH watching American football I think. Hope everyone has had a lovely day. PF.
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 9th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 29,845 Thanks
    Hi all
    So far today:
    Car booting first thing
    Listed a few more things on ebay - no sales so far this weekend though
    HM meals from stores - got my spiralizer out and did HG cucumber and carrot for salad, added HG spring onions, pea shoots and micro leaves alongside the last of our tomatoes, with a bit of bought lettuce and half a red pepper We had this with a jacket potato and some of the goats cheese, chive and ham tart I made from fridge use-up ingredients the other day. Also managed to use up the last of the hummus and coleslaw today
    Went for a lovely long country walk with OH and the dog this afternoon, to make the most of the nice weather
    Just lit the wood burner as it is chilly now, kettle on ready for 'free' tea and coffee once it boils
    Cleared some almost empty boxes out of the garage as I need the space - might have to sort out sales stock tomorrow. These are nice big plastic crates with lids, much better than some of the other boxes my stock is stored in.Will have a think! Either way, they can go up to the loft conversion / spare bedroom / stock room!

Ooh that doesn't sound much does it

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 2,607 Posts
    • 17,397 Thanks
    Thread now closed, new thread is here:
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Stashbusting Challenge 2016 - 80/52
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

3,112Users online

Martin's Twitter