Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Valli
    • By Valli 2nd Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 19,404Posts
    • 221,672Thanks
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd October 2016
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd October 2016 2nd Oct 16 at 7:11 PM
    Thank you, natty, for last week's thread.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Monday Monday - KITCHEN and DINER

and music has been selceted for your flying enjoyment

Level 1 - quick skim

Open a window
    Clear the sides (counters/worktops) and wipe.
    Replace with what should be there only.
    Wipe the table
    Bin the rubbish

Level 2 - going a little deeper
    Sweep/mop/vacuum the floor

level 3 - get right down to the real nitty gritty
    Dust all dining room surface INCLUDING table and chair legs
    Wipe cupboard fronts

check the fridge for what needs using or throwing
    add something christmassy to your shopping list - cranberry sauce; pickles; napkins...check special offers!
    make sure that all the people who matter to you know you love them - make that call

T'riffic Tuesday (sans music to make it easier to copy and I can only think of Ruby Tuesday and I've used that before...)

Blissful Boudoir

Level One
    Open the window
    Strip the bed
    take all washing/floordrobe from room
    Remove, and bin, any rubbish

Level 2
    Remake your freshly-aired bed

(That will do if you're busy - it will look good now)

Level 3
    Dust and deweb - get your duster-onna-stick into the ceiling corners
    Clean the windows

Buy those hallowe'en sweets now before the shops run out. Do not eat all the love hearts and swizzels and parma violets. (or is that just me?)
    Check your light bulbs - I don't know about you but I find, when they are on more, they all commit hari-kiri. Do you have spares?
    While you're at it check you have a torch in a place where you can find it in the dark/by the light of your phone.
    HHI - if you haven't any I will send mine

Wonderful Wednesday Bathrooms; cloakrooms and on sweets

(because that's how it was spelled by one of the kids last week lol)

Step 1

Lose the loos...

Get a bucket full of hot water+detergent and a cloth
    Flush the loo
    Squirt cleaner of your choice
    Scrub the pan and under the rim
    Flush and bleach
    Wipe seat. lid, outside of loos
    Chuck the water
    Rinse the bucket
    ditch the cloth

Step 2

Basic basin

get a bathroom sponge/cloth
    squirt cream cleaner
    scrub basin inside and out inc. pedestal

Step 3

Shower power (and bath)

Spray with detergent
    Wipe thoroughly inside and outside and taps/shower heads
    Finish off by getting fresh hot water+detergent, wipe down shower
    screens, bath panels, cupboard doors, switches, handles
    Mop or scrub floor
    replace all towels and mats
    polish mirrors
    wipe sills
    have a coffee!

No extras because step 3 was extensive...

Thursday - Priorities...

S&S your kitchen

S&S bathrooms (and that should be easy if you did Wednesday...)

Plan something nice for the ones you love - a homemade cake or pudding; time together, a movie night, a duvet day and SIT ON THE FLYLADY SOFA because one of our much-loved flyladies can't, not any more. Make time for those you love. Time is fleeting, and precious.

It was a pleasure to 'know' you Jenny. Much love from us all.

Friday - bedroom bliss

level 1
    Open the window
    strip the bed - and leave it to air while you get on with breakfast - seeing off kids etc...

Level 2
    Remake the bed
    clear the floordrobe
    put stuff away

level 3
    dust and vacuum

meal plan for next week if you're a planner
    plan some quality family time - even if its just going for a tramp in the woods. (oo err missus) in jeans and wellies.
    Raise a glass to those flylady friends no longer with us, Cycling Yorkie, Toots, MoneySavingDiva and Mummy'slittleboy.
    Last edited by Valli; 06-10-2016 at 8:04 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - £23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - £05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Page 9
    • Doobop
    • By Doobop 9th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 845 Thanks
    Ooh so sorry to hear about CY. What sad news.

Been away and had 2 busy weeks - one before holiday one after so just caught up.

House looking terrible and I'm poorly so doing what I can - W on for a start.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 41,168 Thanks
    Me again. More clearing up done. LittleyDog is really not herself today, so no walks planned. I have done also:

15 mins on exercise bike
    Quick bath
    Quick hoover through
    Washed up my breakfast dishes
    One washload which I'm about to put on the line when I finish my cuppa.

It's a beautiful day, so glad I'll be spending it outside.

Bossy - maybe you'll just have to accept a stained shirt while DS has got his cast on? Annoying though that is!
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)

• nicki
    • By nicki 9th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 7,233 Posts
    • 87,792 Thanks
    Morning all.

Lie in this morning, WM is on, TD has been on and will be on again. Yes its nice and sunny out, but we're going out and DD needs her uniform for tomorrow DD is going to wash up while I sort dry laundry out and put tea in the slow cooker, then she'll iron some uniform then we're off to take Zack for a long walk in a big park. I'm just hoping there's not too many dogs off lead there.

Later I need to sew some belt loops onto DD's new school pants and do a couple of sewing repairs. Bitty day here then so roll on tomorrow when I can get stuck in as it's been a bitty week and I feel like I've achieved nothing.
    Baby steps and organisation....
    Declutter 2016 in 2016 : 1534/2016 (Actually left the house!)
    • Meekie
    • By Meekie 9th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Thanks to you all and sorry for the lack of posting over the last few days. Hugs to those who are feeling the loss of CY most.

Serves me right for grumbling about the laundry earlier in the week but I now have a baby with a tummy bug- lots of projectile vomiting and gravity defying pooping. The joys!

We also attempted to cut ds1's hair yesterday but failed to catch him in time to prevent him leaving bits of hair all over the house Very mse to do it ourselves but sadly created a lot of extra tidying up.

Thanks for the lists this week and looking forward to new ones for tomorrow. Have a nice weekend
    Sept GC £413.08/ £400. 26/8/16 - 25/9/16. 12 NSDs.
    Oct GC £226.01 / £360. 26/9/16 - 25/10/16. 8 NSDs.
    Nov GC £0 / £260. 26/10/16 - 25/11/16.
    OSWL 2.5 / 8kg.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 9th Oct 16, 11:21 AM
    • 14,657 Posts
    • 187,220 Thanks
    Morning all
    Hugs and good wishes for everyone.
    Went carboot early this morning and nipped in to see dd1 on the way back as we picked her up a barstool for work so she can make stickers in comfort instead of standing to work. Also got her a lovely staffie head garden ornament, it looks just like her dog so couldn't resist. I got a couple of fairy doors for the garden as well. Guy stands at the boot who makes garden stoneware and it's really good quality.
    Got Dh to take the lip off the edge of a DVD shelf unit yesterday so it now fits perfectly in the lounge instead of the hall.

Going to potter today.
    grocery challenge October budget £400 spent £368.24
    SPC~9 No100 : :X3
    read your books challenge-currently on To have & to hold
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 7/16 Cushion
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 95,401 Thanks
    LittleyDog is really not herself today,
    Originally posted by Jazee
    Aww. poor lamb; I'll do some healing for her.

I've looked up the gen on Gabapentin (GP has flagged me up as sensitive to it so that I don't get given it again) and it seems I've had a lucky escape. Whilst it's great for some people, for those it doesn't sit well with, it's hell on earth! I will also not be taking her up on the offer of Pregabalin (to be fair, she left it to me to decide once the Gaba is out of my system, and she did say it was very possible I'd have similar problems with that). Apparently it's a pretty similar drug, and like Gaba, should only be used with extreme caution by people who already deal with suicidal thoughts. So that's a "thanks, but no thanks" then.

Mr LW is waiting for me to struggle into my coat - actually, scrap that, he can help me into it - then it's a foray to Herr A as we're nearly out of milk yet again. I'd let him go on his own, but I want some other stuff, and I don't entirely trust him to get the right items - he does try (my patience, lol) but you know how it is with men and grocery shopping.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 19,404 Posts
    • 221,672 Thanks
    well whoever sent me their GUAG I suppose I ought to be grateful.. I am ploughing through the mire that is DS's room; I have stripped his bed, the bedding will be washed later when he is home from work because I will stick his shirt in, too. Everywhere is now dusted. Dust was so severe it needed a damp cloth it was a positive dust bunny WARREN, I have flung some bits, I have opened his uni pots box and rearranged so I can remove another box. I also looked closely at his oven glove. I have binned his oven glove. TBH this would have been dealt with earlier but I have suffered from a lot of CBA/what's the point given circumstances over the summer. Now I am back at work and, of course, time poor I feel the need to clean and clear. Just having a then I will get the vacuum up there...

will add because no-ones posting. DS's room vacuumed. I have made a start on mine in between stopping for lunch. I have put all my carefully-saved gift bags inside the largest gift bag and put them away. I have used the empty, Christmassy box I got for Christmas (full) to store tissue, bows and tags etc. Roll wrap has gone into the really useful box on top of the wardrobe and I have pout the brown cardboard box I used to use in the recycling. I brought it from our old house. We've lived here 18 years this month.
    Last edited by Valli; 09-10-2016 at 2:17 PM.

• LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 9th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 8,749 Posts
    • 95,401 Thanks
    well whoever sent me their GUAG I suppose I ought to be grateful..
    Originally posted by Valli
    So that's where it's been! Hand it back, this instant! *Taps foot*
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Oct 16, 2:17 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 41,168 Thanks
    Well done Valli, lots achieved.
    Thanks for the healing vibes for LittleyDog, LW. She is currently sunning herself.

So I've spent 4 hours in the garden and the inside of my greenhouse is now sparkly despite all the help from a muddy Poppet. Positively a frog that job, so I'm glad it's done.

We had a really sudden heavy shower which has soaked the garden but I've left the washing out as the sun is out again now.

So what next - reading the paper I think. And DH is taking me out for Sunday dinner later.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 38,872 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) Valli. Well done on tackling your DS's pit, although it looks as though both you and Jazee's doglets have something in common this morning. Ah, carpet scrubbing, I remember it well ... and it's only a matter of time before I have to do it again. It's one of the joys of having doglets, isn't it, Jazee. Flylady Fluffy Bubbles heading your way.

One load through the WM and pegged out, lots of cooking going on, ground floor carpets done and dining room dusted.

I'm going to write to Simon *.!"£$%^&*()_+{}:@~?><***& Rimmer because if a TV chef posts a recipe on the BBC website he should at least have had the decency to have tested it. It couldn't have been cooked before it went up there because the pastry case can't hold all the filing. The recipe says to bake it for 30 mins - I pulled it out after an hour and a half to photograph the disaster and it's still slopping about in the pastry case. What a waste of time and ingredients. So, anyone who thinks he knows what he's doing - think again. Back to Delia and Jamie.
    Keeping it AF
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 9th Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 6,425 Posts
    • 81,322 Thanks
    Bulbs and violets all planted and watered. Kiddies helped - bl00dy arguing the whole time despite me giving them jobs at opposite sides of the garden. I had a strop and said no pets until I can see they are being kinder to one another

Anyway, flowers look very pretty, am sure it will be even nicer in a few days once they have settled in. Lol, DD said "mum are these flowers in tea bags" haha have you seen the little "pockets" they are grown in, they do look a bit like soil- pfilled tea bags...

We've just had a late lunch and DD is nattering me for a dolls tea party. Off I go...
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 19,404 Posts
    • 221,672 Thanks
    Aw Honey Bear how frustrating and annoying.

Still dealing with the detritis - I'm working in my room now; it's bad because when I shifted stuff out to get the bed in it never went back because the base on one side needed replacing and I really haven't had time to properly sort. But I am now. Of the 4 drawers I had under the old bed, three were just stuff being stored because there was somewhere to store IYSWIM. Well there are 2 drawers now - cue much flingage. To my horror there were still wedding cards...
    It's raining so I have brought the washing in.
    I have also had a thorough sort of the sock basket (where the single socks live)...there are lots. I emptied DS's sock drawer and sure enough some were in there. It won't be long before I shall be waving a final goodbye to some odd socks. Woot!
    Last edited by Valli; 09-10-2016 at 4:30 PM.

• gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 9th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 6,635 Thanks
    Hello All

I am sorry to hear about Jenny, CY as we know her, but so very glad she got to see her daughter married.

It is now only two months till DSD gets married in Lapland, the hen and stag parties have been this weekend. DH and DSS are out with the lads till later, footie than a meal so dinner for me is something light after recent excesses. Beans on toast is looking good or perhaps omelette. Bossy do you have any tips for what to take clothing wise to Lapland as I am struggling, but especially so with the outfit for the wedding ceremony

I have been out in the garden today, cutting grass and weeding and beating BDs with a strong dose of autumnal sunshine.

The house looks like a bomb has hit it, but the general gubbins of day to day is mostly being done. I have also tried to get back on top of meal planning, particularly lunches as all three of us are spending far too much on these through sheer apathy.

This evening will be a hot date with the steam generator and Mount Ironmore.

Tomorrow I am working a long day so dinner is already prepared, moussaka with salad and the boys will have some potato wedges with theirs.

Then on Tuesday I am collecting a new car, my first ever in 31 years of driving. I am uber excited about it.

See you all on next week's thread

Best wishes and much love to all.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 9th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 14,194 Thanks
    Nothing achieved today apart from a 10k run this morning and a takeaway demolished (BF claimed he was too sore to cook tea and I did lunch so...)
    Apart from that we have flopped down and done FA. I think athletes call it 'resting'?? I did tidy away the post-race/pre-shower debris (clothes on floor, protein bar wrapper, empty water bottles & the like) before my flop, so that's something.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Oct Grocery Challenge £0.39/£60 Oct NSD's 21/20
    EF Challenger #36
    £7909.03/£10,000 Lose weight -1.2/10lbs
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 19,404 Posts
    • 221,672 Thanks
    A 10K run plus dinner cooked plus tidying up is excellent work IMO

am now attacking the round tuit box...I have packed the two school magazines, liberated from my sisters 'to donate to the museum' before the you-know-what hit the fan, in a cardboard amazon envelope, to drop into work as we have borrowed a box of artefacts - so it can go to the museum with them. No stress dropping it off/posting it! Woot!

I'm quite proud of myself *glow*
    Last edited by Valli; 09-10-2016 at 6:01 PM.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Oct 16, 6:08 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 41,168 Thanks
    Well done Valli & Raphael and well all of you really.

No more carpet scrubbing here but the back door has been open all afternoon. LittleyDog still no better, may see if she needs a trip to the vet in the morning.

I am in my pjs already. Going to vegetate in front of the telly soon.

See you all on the new thread.

• bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 9th Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    • 6,425 Posts
    • 81,322 Thanks
    Ooo well done raphael xx

Gilly in Lapland in December there will not be a long stretch of daylight, and I found the temperature dropped significantly after dark.

We hired thermal snow suits but we were sledging and so on, not really wedding attire, do you know what the venue is like? How much time will be outdoors?

I bought thermal footless tights from primarni- sort of like fleece lined leggings really. Also wore a long sleeve thermal top and a tshirt over. This was enough for me with the thermal suit. For sleigh rides you really need some kind of cover for your face, any breath of icy wind is magnified and it hurts. I also went on a snowmobile and had to be driven back, lol, when my fingers went numb (with regular gloves inside ski mitts!!!).

DD was only 5 at the time and although she found it utterly magical, she had to be taken indoors at one point as the cold just got to much for her. She also had thermal base layer, and all the kit. She got a bit wet (likes to lay down in the snow) which caused a freeze round her legs and feet

To say all that, we were quite far north, out in the wilds and rather exposed. You may find there is a microclimate if the venue is in a built up area.

Hope that's of some use xxx
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 9 - #91 - £150 so far
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 9th Oct 16, 9:07 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 27,486 Thanks
    Ironing done
    Time spent with DH & Ds2 walking searching for poke mon and collecting conkers.

All food cupboards sorted and cleaned. We are enjoying using our stocks up this week.
    3x wm dried outside
    Raspberry crumble made and eaten
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 9th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 32,586 Thanks

Debt free as of 3rd May 2012
    But still struggling financially
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 9th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 38,872 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Well done on the 10k, Raphael! You earned that flop. How did you do?

It's an interesting thing, the 'round tuit box' Valli. I can be flummoxed by it for years and then one day I know exactly what to do with everything in it. Stuff went to the chazza yesterday that had been hanging around for years and a decision made about longer term storage problems for things I do need occasionally but don't need to have easily to hand.

Really must clear the pile of paperwork off my desk which involves a couple of trips out and about. My stacked up filing tray is teetering so that'll have to be dealt with asap as well. No idea what's in it any more either, so I hope nothing was urgent.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,964Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• The MSE weekly email: Energy hike warning, No7 trick, £400 marriage bonus, £3 photo mug, railcard 15%off, 3.1% loan

• Follow Martin