Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Valli
    • By Valli 2nd Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 19,404Posts
    • 221,654Thanks
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd October 2016
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 3rd October 2016 2nd Oct 16 at 7:11 PM
    Thank you, natty, for last week's thread.

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

Welcome to the Weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up!
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Monday Monday - KITCHEN and DINER

and music has been selceted for your flying enjoyment

Level 1 - quick skim

Open a window
    Clear the sides (counters/worktops) and wipe.
    Replace with what should be there only.
    Wipe the table
    Bin the rubbish

Level 2 - going a little deeper
    Sweep/mop/vacuum the floor

level 3 - get right down to the real nitty gritty
    Dust all dining room surface INCLUDING table and chair legs
    Wipe cupboard fronts

check the fridge for what needs using or throwing
    add something christmassy to your shopping list - cranberry sauce; pickles; napkins...check special offers!
    make sure that all the people who matter to you know you love them - make that call

T'riffic Tuesday (sans music to make it easier to copy and I can only think of Ruby Tuesday and I've used that before...)

Blissful Boudoir

Level One
    Open the window
    Strip the bed
    take all washing/floordrobe from room
    Remove, and bin, any rubbish

Level 2
    Remake your freshly-aired bed

(That will do if you're busy - it will look good now)

Level 3
    Dust and deweb - get your duster-onna-stick into the ceiling corners
    Clean the windows

Buy those hallowe'en sweets now before the shops run out. Do not eat all the love hearts and swizzels and parma violets. (or is that just me?)
    Check your light bulbs - I don't know about you but I find, when they are on more, they all commit hari-kiri. Do you have spares?
    While you're at it check you have a torch in a place where you can find it in the dark/by the light of your phone.
    HHI - if you haven't any I will send mine

Wonderful Wednesday Bathrooms; cloakrooms and on sweets

(because that's how it was spelled by one of the kids last week lol)

Step 1

Lose the loos...

Get a bucket full of hot water+detergent and a cloth
    Flush the loo
    Squirt cleaner of your choice
    Scrub the pan and under the rim
    Flush and bleach
    Wipe seat. lid, outside of loos
    Chuck the water
    Rinse the bucket
    ditch the cloth

Step 2

Basic basin

get a bathroom sponge/cloth
    squirt cream cleaner
    scrub basin inside and out inc. pedestal

Step 3

Shower power (and bath)

Spray with detergent
    Wipe thoroughly inside and outside and taps/shower heads
    Finish off by getting fresh hot water+detergent, wipe down shower
    screens, bath panels, cupboard doors, switches, handles
    Mop or scrub floor
    replace all towels and mats
    polish mirrors
    wipe sills
    have a coffee!

No extras because step 3 was extensive...

Thursday - Priorities...

S&S your kitchen

S&S bathrooms (and that should be easy if you did Wednesday...)

Plan something nice for the ones you love - a homemade cake or pudding; time together, a movie night, a duvet day and SIT ON THE FLYLADY SOFA because one of our much-loved flyladies can't, not any more. Make time for those you love. Time is fleeting, and precious.

It was a pleasure to 'know' you Jenny. Much love from us all.

Friday - bedroom bliss

level 1
    Open the window
    strip the bed - and leave it to air while you get on with breakfast - seeing off kids etc...

Level 2
    Remake the bed
    clear the floordrobe
    put stuff away

level 3
    dust and vacuum

meal plan for next week if you're a planner
    plan some quality family time - even if its just going for a tramp in the woods. (oo err missus) in jeans and wellies.
    Raise a glass to those flylady friends no longer with us, Cycling Yorkie, Toots, MoneySavingDiva and Mummy'slittleboy.
    Last edited by Valli; 06-10-2016 at 8:04 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #16 2015 Roadkill Haul - 23.25 + 7c (Eu) + a dime (31.12.2015)
    2016 Roadkill Haul - 05.75, 10c ($) and 10c (Eu)
Page 10
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 9th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 14,189 Thanks
    Well done on the 10k, Raphael! You earned that flop. How did you do?
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    I completed in 1:14:41. A lot better than I thought I would do so I'm pleased. I've not done near enough training. Knees are aching now.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Oct Grocery Challenge 0.39/60 Oct NSD's 21/20
    EF Challenger #36
    7909.03/10,000 Lose weight -1.2/10lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,049Posts Today

7,884Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just come from physio. I've a level two hamstring tear. I'm gutted.The last time I missed my 10000-steps a day target was 20/9/15

• RT @taraevans: He did it first in June, now @MartinSLewis warns Vodafone customers to check their bills after it is fined £4.6m https://t.c?

• RT @BBCBusiness: We?re seeking people who've never switched energy providers to come meet @MartinSLewis in our London studio on Monday. @ r?

• Follow Martin