Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 2nd Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 171Thanks
    BeckyS
    Let's fix this situation
    • 2nd Oct 16, 5:50 PM
    Let's fix this situation 2nd Oct 16 at 5:50 PM
    Dear Diary,

How to start a diary about the fact I'm an idiot who shed blood, sweat and tears to pay off £17,000 of debt (last time I was posting about it (in 2013) was about the last £3k of that) and then got back into £5,677.01 debt (around £3k of it at a ludicrous 34.08% APR *facepalm*)

Well yeah let's just start it there. Though to be fair the new debt was caused by a series of crises (some my own fault and some unavoidable) over the last year and I'm not quite sure they are over, but if my cashflow goes pear shape again I'll have to find another way to deal with it (Which is what I should have done in the first place). I am swearing off credit cards except for balance transfers.

First things first - I can pay £200/month towards my debts and according to the snowball I've done the interest will be over £100/month right now. Bleh.

So I kicked that into touch straight away by obtaining a 18 month 0% balance transfer card and transfering £1080 of the 34.08% debt over to it. Yes there's a fee but the monthly reduction in interest covers it in one month. I did make a slight boo boo though. The eligibility checker said that I would probably get a £1200 limit and that you could transfer up to 90% of balance so when filling in the amount I wanted to transfer during the application that's what I went with. They gave me a £2100 limit. I assume once my card arrives I'll be able too transfer another £888 from the 34.08% card and get the 0% rate? It's not just in application that you get the special 0% rate? I hope so otherwise I'll be cursing myself.

One way or another I'm hoping over the next few months to get all my interest bearing debt onto 0% cards (I'm spacing out the applications so I don't look overburdened) so all my £200/month (it'll be £232/month once the small amount of rent arrears are paid off) can go to balance reduction.

And once the 34.08% one is clear I'm closing it down so I can't use it. I've already removed it from my purse for the same reason.

So that's where we're starting from. Let's fix this situation and never get into debt again. (And also keep posting this time).

Becka
Page 3
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 15th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Good Afternoon, peeps.

In spite of coughing and spluttering all day with this cold I've had quite the productive afternoon.

I'd already sorted out cutting £17.50 from my monthly mobile bill a couple of weeks back but today I've sorted another cutting another £17.48 from it. So that's £33.98 total. A 42.5% reduction isn't bad I think. (though the way these things work the full savings won't all hit in this month's bill).

Together with the savings from changing broadband and electric supplier that's pretty good money I've cut this week. (Still a ways to go to my £240 target but I'm getting there).

*Goes to find a warm, throat soothing drink to reward herself*

Becky
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 16th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Good evening Diary,

I have been coughing all day and not got much done. I feel dreadful.

Good news I weighed myself this morning and had lost 2lb.

I did manage one thing I wrote an email to the Housing Association asking about a water meter. Let's see if they get back to me.

I'm currently cooking one of the three gammon joints from the freezer (I picked up 3 for £5 last week and froze them). This one is the smallest but should do me for at least a couple of evening meals and pea and ham soups for lunch.

I am going to try and make tomorrow an NSD (the question is if I'll need milk again).

Becky
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have to say, Becky, that I'm impressed! You really put your mind to it, even when it's all clogged up and foggy
    You've reminded me that I have to compare electric, gas, and car insurance.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Oct 16, 2:16 PM
    • 14,559 Posts
    • 22,026 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    We have all had the cold from hell here too so I feel your pain

Glad BT fixed the issue without charge - most of the time they have to make you aware of it but it's rarely charged. Mainly it's to ensure you have actually done the checks you should have done to rule out things like faulty equipment etc or as we once had - cheap bargain chirstmas lights that would knock out the broadband and affect line quality when they were turned on... was only discovered when after the ite insisted on engineers during certain hours, they finally let one in during the day (it was an office building and they didn't want him there during the day... no idea why) - the fault that hadn't been there the last 3 visits was suddenly there... so he basically had the genius idea of turning everything off one thing at a time and sure enough the cheap lights they had strung up weren't actually safety checked and the surge as they flashed on and off sent electrical pulses that knocked out their internet connection... yeah that client was charged for the visits LOL

Well done on the food - I fancy pea and ham soup now!!!

Definitely chase the water thing - that's really high for one person and a pet that self cleans

Hope they fixed your boiler today!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 17th Oct 16, 2:23 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Afternoon Becky,

Sniffling over here too, think it's doing the rounds. Hope you feel better soon xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £8850.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

15 NSD - 8/15, 10 LSD - 3/10, 15 AFD - 1/15, Lunches to work 9/20

20p Savers 2016 £2 Savers 2016 50p Savers 2016 SPC 9 2016 #003
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 17th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Hi all,

I got a reply from the Housing Association and they straight up said yes. No forms, no hassle just "we believe it is important for customer’s to be able to manage their finances and reduce costs where possible therefore I am pleased to say this permission is granted".

So this evening I called Severn Trent and the engineers will be out to do a survey and if possible fit a meter on 29th October.

If the estimates are correct it should cut my water bill annually by at least 1/3.

More good news - today was an NSD. Tomorrow won't be but I'm going to try and limit spending to milk, bread, bus ticket and maybe some cough sweets (cos the cold has gone to my chest).

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Brilliant on the meter - that WILL make a difference!

Suggestion on the Milk thing - if you're buying in pints, currently, or even in 2 pint containers, try this: save your last empty container and wash it well. Buy your milk in double the size containers and when you get home, freeze half. (Actually I use skimmed milk and find that either that or semi-skimmed both last AGES over their date - I think my last one went 10 days over!) - not only is is cheaper per pint to buy in the larger quantities - particularly if you can get to buying in 4pts - it saves you going into the shop to get more so often, and thus reduces the likelihood of those little unplanned spends creeping into the basket to keep the milk company... Do bear in mind that frozen milk takes a lot longer to defrost than you expect, though!

Also - MSE friendly method of easing a cough. Boiling water into your bathroom sink, with a few drops of Olbas Oil or similar if you have it but not vital. Get a large thick bath sheet and fold it in half and steam your head with the towel over the top to hold the steam in. REALLY effective - MrEH even finds it clears his sinuses when they get clogged up with cold.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 18th Oct 16, 9:06 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Freezing milk! What a great idea...

Didn't end up being a low spend day today due to the cough worsening (I was coughing so hard I coughed up some blood which was alarming and why I ended dqlling the doctor) to the point I headed to the doctors from work. Getting there and back in reasonable time meant taxis but I reckon I made that back in time not lost from work (buses are great but not quick). The doctor listened to my chest and gave me an inhaler so there were presciption fees as well :/ but it is helping.

Other than that not much to report.

Becka
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th Oct 16, 9:22 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Yay to the water meter, that's brilliant.

Glad you saw the doctor, must've been a worrying moment, the main thing is that the inhaler is helping. Get well soon x

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 18th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Do bear in mind that frozen milk takes a lot longer to defrost than you expect, though
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    Doesn't it just! Especially 6 pinters!!

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Doesn't it just! Especially 6 pinters!!
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    4's are bad enough!

A tip if you're freezing a half-bottle though - is to freeze it on the diagonal - that speeds things up a bit!

Glad to hear you've got an inhaler that's helping Becka.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 20th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Hi everyone,

Not much report. Another 0% balance transfer card was coming up at 80% chance when I checked this week so I've applied. It's one that tells you via post if you've got it so I don't know if I've got it yet. *fingers crossed on that* Hopefully I'll get it because I'll have to wait a while before trying again if I don't.
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 22nd Oct 16, 3:22 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Hi all

Still coughing but it's getting better slowly.

Waiting to hear about the 0% Balance Transfer card is making me jumpy. Getting the rest of the Cap1 card onto a 0% card would really cut quite a bit off the length of time I'll be repaying. Credit Club says 80% chance but that's still a 20% chance of a no. *chews fingernails*

Picked up two chickens for £6. I'll cook one tomorrow and put the other in the freezer. Then next week can be one of the gammon joints and the week after chicken again... several weeks of meat in freezer now.

Becka
    Sealed pot Challenge 9 member #558

Debts to be listed soon
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 23rd Oct 16, 9:17 AM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope you feel better soon.

Fingers crossed about the cc

• BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 24th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Damn it! I hate temping. Job's gone away without warning again, leaving me with no income. And it's always just they don't need me and I'll have a good reference but I'm sure there must be something wrong with me now.

*cries from the stress*

Debts to be listed soon
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 24th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 3,923 Posts
    • 11,522 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hugs. Fingers crossed you get something quickly x

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 24th Oct 16, 2:39 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww Becka that's rubbish - BUT it is the way with temping of course. I've got massive respect for ANYONE who can cope with temping as I know I'm not resilient enough.

Are your agency looking for somewhere else to place you as a matter of urgency? Are there any other decent agencies locally that you can sign up with or are you already with multiples!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • BeckyS
    • By BeckyS 24th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    BeckyS
    Hi all,

Still right cheesed off.

The good news is the company are paying me for today and I'll have some holiday pay which means I get last week's pay on Friday and then about three days (I think) next week and I can pull about £60 from my Patreon to make it up. So I won't go into financial meltdown until mid November.

I've already updated my CV and put in applications for several jobs this afternoon. At the very least I know there's the Royal Mail MDEC work in December so if I can scrape through until then I'm fine until new year. Hopefully something will come up sooner.

So I'm stressed and upset and trying to work through it, but this is far from ideal.

Becka

(Ooh! I also have about £200 credit coming from Coop Energy once the CoS is completed. That'll help too.)
    Last edited by BeckyS; 24-10-2016 at 6:08 PM.

Debts to be listed soon
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 25th Oct 16, 4:01 PM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 35,036 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sounds like it's not looking *quite* as bad as you first feared then?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Jennifer58
    • By Jennifer58 25th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Jennifer58
    Hi Becky.

Just read your journey so far.

Good luck with everything!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

592Posts Today

3,456Users online

Martin's Twitter