Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 2nd Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 1,847Posts
    • 3,199Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Where have all the Tramps gone?
    • 2nd Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Where have all the Tramps gone? 2nd Oct 16 at 4:24 PM
    In Ryde Isle of Wight, we used to have a tramp. He was a lovely man, although he did smell a bit.
    I was sad when I heard he passed away, as he was always there as I grew up.
    In Chelmsford there were two tramps. I haven't seen any tramps for years. These tramps are people that choose to be homeless. How they survived, money wise, I do not know. They NEVER asked for money.

Do you have a tramp in your town?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 3
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 14th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    They've migrated for the winter..
    Trips & Tramps (Te Anau, New Zealand): Top Tips Before You Go ...
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 14th Oct 16, 2:07 PM
    • 6,645 Posts
    • 11,403 Thanks
    Dreamnine
    Individual tramps have largely been subsumed into a broader underclass - crazy drunks and junkies who live on the street and sometimes in hostels.

I was homeless for 7 years in both Scotland and England and fell into this group.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 14th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Just got home after a few days in lovely Lynton and Lynmouth.
    There was a chap on Wednesday down by the small harbour at Lynmouth who seemed to fit the tramp description.
    However he seemed quite upbeat and convinced that he was about to win the lottery.
    Saw him again yesterday. Still sounded cheerful, but I don't think his luck was in during Wednesday's draw.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 14th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Trips & Tramps (Te Anau, New Zealand): Top Tips Before You Go ...
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Walking, hiking, backpacking.....but we preferred a campervan to see both Islands.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 15th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 46,392 Posts
    • 127,025 Thanks
    colinw
    colinw we have had Gypsies at Southbourne, this summer. The council have now put big rocks to stop them putting their vans on the cliff grass.
    Tips x
    You do realise like the Daleks they evolved caravans that can levitate over rocks now.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    You do realise like the Daleks they evolved caravans that can levitate over rocks now.
    I am going to take a look.

I cannot believe this thread keeps popping up.

Then I found this-
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 15th Oct 16, 1:54 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Originally posted by mattytun
    Nah, they're more Jeremy Kyle Show guests
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    Tipsntreats

Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 15th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 4,998 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    prosaver
    i was looking for tramp material and found this..
    Shocking ...why weren't we taught this at school.....
    http://www.workhouses.org.uk/vagrants/index.shtml
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 15th Oct 16, 10:24 PM
    • 1,847 Posts
    • 3,199 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    prosaver thank-you. I am a fanatic about history.

This thread just keeps going - I have no idea why.
    I still love proper Tramps, not gypsies. A gypsy once asked me to buy some heather, when I said no thank-you. She snarled and said she would put a curse on me. I have never been the same since.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 16th Oct 16, 7:50 AM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 75,083 Thanks
    Pyxis

I still love proper Tramps, not gypsies. A gypsy once asked me to buy some heather, when I said no thank-you. She snarled and said she would put a curse on me. I have never been the same since.
    Tips x
    You've probably been better!

People who put curses on others for no valid reason get the curse turned back on themselves.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 16th Oct 16, 8:11 AM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 102,100 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    There was a tramp who used to come into the library where I was working at the time. He used to spend much of his day in there. He was a really lovely guy and the staff were really protective of him, though he was far too proud to take anything that we offered.

He'd read books on history and philosophy and had a mind as sharp as a razor.

The last time I saw him I said hello and that I hadn't seen him for a while and how was he doing. He just turned to me, smiled, and enigmatically said "I'm alive". A couple of days later he drowned. The only ID he had on him was his library card.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Oct 16, 10:23 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Originally posted by prosaver
    Excellent link, thanks for sharing.

They might be a thing of the distant past, but properly controlled workhouses to instil a bit of respect and responsibility into certain parts of our modern society wouldn't go amiss now.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Oct 16, 10:28 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 3,399 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    There was a tramp who used to come into the library where I was working at the time. He used to spend much of his day in there. He was a really lovely guy and the staff were really protective of him, though he was far too proud to take anything that we offered.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    Serious question. Did he smell, or did he manage to brush-up and get his clothes regularly washed?
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 16th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 102,100 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Serious question. Did he smell, or did he manage to brush-up and get his clothes regularly washed?
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Neither. He didn't smell of body odours, he smelt a little dusty, a bit like a building site. He certainly didn't smell horrible. He was a nice guy. We were all devastated when we heard that he had died.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 24th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 46,392 Posts
    • 127,025 Thanks
    colinw
    I found out where the word Tramp came from on my TV at the weekend. I was watching a recording of the new BBC series on life in a Victorian slum. They have put modern day families in a representation of a Victorian slum to see how they get on. Anyway when the recession hit in the 1870's and the meagre work the blokes did have in those days dried up, they had to wander the streets looking for work and this was called Tramping.....shortened to Tramps of course. They where then demonised and made fun of by the rich and well off of the day....
    • Payless
    • By Payless 24th Oct 16, 3:47 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 8,389 Thanks
    Payless
    If choosing to be homeless is what constitutes a tramp, there was eight of them in our bus station this morning but they weren't benign chaps. At 11 am they were drinking strong cider, smoking and fighting amongst themselves. They are often there and sometimes number as many as 16. The police give them fixed penalty notices which can't be enforced as they are homeless. The policeman responsible for shifting them says that they have been offered accommodation and declined it and there's little else they can do.

However, back in the day my Dad's cousin was a tramp. He wouldn't take money from anyone and rarely drank. He only gave that life up at 68 when a local hoodlum beat the c**p out of him one night.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 24th Oct 16, 3:50 PM
    • 46,392 Posts
    • 127,025 Thanks
    colinw
    If choosing to be homeless is what constitutes a tramp, there was eight of them in our bus station this morning but they weren't benign chaps. At 11 am they were drinking strong cider, smoking and fighting amongst themselves. They are often there and sometimes number as many as 16. The police give them fixed penalty notices which can't be enforced as they are homeless. The policeman responsible for shifting them says that they have been offered accommodation and declined it and there's little else they can do.

However, back in the day my Dad's cousin was a tramp. He wouldn't take money from anyone and rarely drank. He only gave that life up at 68 when a local hoodlum beat the c**p out of him one night.
    Originally posted by Payless
    I think what used to be Tramps don't really exist anymore. I think the traditional Tramp probably died out in the 60's.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 24th Oct 16, 5:10 PM
    • 21,417 Posts
    • 75,083 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Originally posted by prosaver
    That was very interesting.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • robin58
    • By robin58 25th Oct 16, 2:36 AM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    robin58

Tips x
    Your story made me smile for other reasons, reminded me of one of my neighbours.

When a gypsy used to role up to her house and try to sell her heather she would polity decline.

The gypsy would give her the 'gypsy curse' speech.

My neighbour would retort back a curse of her own, which made the person stand back and quickly leave.

Why, my neighbour was an ex-gypsy herself who had decided to settle down in a house to raise her kids. She had gave back a travelers curse back on them. She hated them for some reason that I never found out about.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,948Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter