Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 2nd Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    • 1,963Posts
    • 3,385Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Where have all the Tramps gone?
    • 2nd Oct 16, 4:24 PM
    Where have all the Tramps gone? 2nd Oct 16 at 4:24 PM
    In Ryde Isle of Wight, we used to have a tramp. He was a lovely man, although he did smell a bit.
    I was sad when I heard he passed away, as he was always there as I grew up.
    In Chelmsford there were two tramps. I haven't seen any tramps for years. These tramps are people that choose to be homeless. How they survived, money wise, I do not know. They NEVER asked for money.

Do you have a tramp in your town?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
Page 2
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 3rd Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 21,182 Posts
    • 36,497 Thanks
    SailorSam
    There was a thread on here last week, a poster told us about how he tried to bully and pick a fight with a begger. ...... Sorry, got that the wrong way around, he claimed the begger had tried to pick on him.
    Well, when does a begger become a tramp ? Did all tramps start off just being beggers ? Or what's the difference between the two ?
    'Cos people seem to like one and hold them to affection, but do their best to advoid the other.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 3rd Oct 16, 6:17 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Sleazy
    There was a thread on here last week, a poster told us about how he tried to bully and pick a fight with a begger. ...... Sorry, got that the wrong way around, he claimed the begger had tried to pick on him.
    Well, when does a begger become a tramp ? Did all tramps start off just being beggers ? Or what's the difference between the two ?
    'Cos people seem to like one and hold them to affection, but do their best to advoid the other.
    Originally posted by SailorSam
    In my experience, I've never known a tramp to beg. 'Beggers' on the other hand seem only to 'tramp' from where they sleep to where they beg - that's why you see the same ones in the same places most days.
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • tommix
    • By tommix 3rd Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    To the great soup kitchen in the sky..
    • tommix
    • By tommix 3rd Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    A Tramp.

Last edited by tommix; 03-10-2016 at 6:44 PM.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 3rd Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    A Begger..

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 21,551 Posts
    • 75,713 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Last edited by Pyxis; 03-10-2016 at 7:06 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 3rd Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 9,613 Posts
    • 17,211 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    This gentleman lived on the streets of my home city, Newcastle. I often used to see him riding round and round on the Metro, sadly he died 4 years ago.
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/inside-story-death-tynesides-most-4037054
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 46,443 Posts
    • 127,181 Thanks
    colinw
    When I was quite young....maybe 5 or 6 years old.....there was a tramp who slept under the stairs in the maisonette We were terrified of him and convinced ourselves he was carrying a knife.....he was a proper old tramp of the type you don't really see these days...

Tramps aint what they used to
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Tramps aint what they used to
    No I haven't seen a proper one for years.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 16, 4:27 PM
    • 46,443 Posts
    • 127,181 Thanks
    colinw
    Maybe Cher knows!

• Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 4:30 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    colinw we have had Gypsies at Southbourne, this summer. The council have now put big rocks to stop them putting their vans on the cliff grass.
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 13th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    prosaver
    i think the tramp that smells isnt a proper tramp
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats

PEACE and ?
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • Syman
    • By Syman 13th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 5,547 Thanks
    Syman
    In Merton, SW London, we had George Chatfield. First met him when i was about 15 or so, last i saw of him was about 10 years ago i think, just before i moved away from the area.

Used to stop and have a chat every now and then. Never ever asked for money, but would always drop him a few quid when i saw him about.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 13th Oct 16, 6:35 PM
    • 12,441 Posts
    • 224,324 Thanks
    mattytun
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 2,493 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by mattytun

I thought these were scary clowns .......
    *** IF IN DOUBT, BLAME BREXIT ***
    • trollopscarletwoman
    • By trollopscarletwoman 13th Oct 16, 10:53 PM
    • 7,573 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    trollopscarletwoman
    I think real tramps are amazing, they all have their stories as to why they became tramps.
    Tips x
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    I think that's true.

We could all end up in that position.
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 13th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    I think that's true.

We could all end up in that position.
    That is very true. Not you I hope.

Actually we could all start a campaign - Bring back the real tramps
    Tips x
    Money, money, money
    Must be funny
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 14th Oct 16, 12:40 AM
    • 5,069 Posts
    • 3,874 Thanks
    prosaver
    Or have national tramps day
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 14th Oct 16, 1:08 AM
    • 32,964 Posts
    • 135,314 Thanks
    tommix
    They've migrated for the winter..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

812Posts Today

5,797Users online

Martin's Twitter