Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sazdes
    • By sazdes 2nd Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 39Thanks
    sazdes
    fixed rate bonds question
    • 2nd Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    fixed rate bonds question 2nd Oct 16 at 3:48 PM
    Hi
    I was just searching around for a replacement storage account for when the santander 123 account rates drops and came across fixed rate bonds when searching for top interest rates,

https://www. londoncapitalandfinance.co.uk/

This for example offers 6.5% interest on 2 yr fix and on their live chat have been assured they haven't had any borrower default since they began, and although they're not fscs protected its asset secured, given the rates are so much higher than most savings accounts can anyone point out the catch/any big risks from such an investment before I sign up?

thanks!
Page 2
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 11th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 1,996 Posts
    • 2,407 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    . You can do it through an isa or sipp pension to get tax advantages that you wouldn't have with buy to let and you wouldn't have all the legal responsibility and conveyancing process.

Nevertheless i do share funds rather than property, as they return better and have better liquidity. My isa mostly tracks the FTSE all share index and my sipp is global small companies (lots of room to grow)
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    I don't want to crash the OP's thread. but how would one set up an ISA or SIPP like that, would one need to go through an IFA?
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 11th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    I don't want to crash the OP's thread. but how would one set up an ISA or SIPP like that, would one need to go through an IFA?
    Originally posted by paddypaws101
    There are loads and loads of threads discussing investing, but basically you can just open a DIY S&S ISA or SIPP with a broker or fund platform and then buy whatever shares or investment funds you like to put in it with the money that you've contributed (or transferred in from other existing ISAs or pensions).

DIY platform providers mentioned here all the time in no particular order include Youinvest, TD Direct, Charles Stanley Direct, IWeb, Halifax Sharedealing, Hargreaves Lansdown, BestInvest, the list goes on.

If you don't know what investments are appropriate for your needs or which tax wrapper is best for you, you can of course buy the advice from an IFA who will handle it all for you including platform selection and advice on the funds to hold on it.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 13th Oct 16, 5:54 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    I never went through any kind of financial advice, got prompted a couple of times but I thought they'd be reluctant to let me invest like I am. Its their neck on the line and they want to play it safe
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 13th Oct 16, 6:18 AM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    I never went through any kind of financial advice, got prompted a couple of times but I thought they'd be reluctant to let me invest like I am. Its their neck on the line and they want to play it safe
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    Who is 'they' and why is their neck on the line?
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 13th Oct 16, 6:30 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Financial advisors who would do the application for you - id have to argue with them to get them to do it, so I did it myself. They are responsible for the advice they give I assume, although if I'm actively going against that advice I suppose they wouldn't be.

It didn't seem much point in taking out advice that I was going to ignore unless that was the only way to open an account, which it wasnt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

332Posts Today

1,382Users online

Martin's Twitter