Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 1st Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 2Thanks
    PanickyJ
    0 WOW
    Places to stay in Los Angeles
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Places to stay in Los Angeles 1st Oct 16 at 6:10 PM
    Hi....travelling to LA end of Feb 2017....seems most decent hotels are really expensive so looking for any helpful suggestions of where to stay in LA. We will be hiring a car and also hope to do a day trip if we can. Again any suggestions of where we could easily get to and get back in a day would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • duchy
    • By duchy 1st Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 17,817 Posts
    • 45,057 Thanks
    duchy
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    Depends what you want to see LA is massive and sprawling.
    Hollywood can be done in a day but it's a bit seedy .
    We usually stay out near Disneyland where there's lots of competition with the masses of hotels lining the road to Mickeys place but it's a bit far for Hollywood.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 1st Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PanickyJ
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    Would that be Anaheim you stay at? We are going to get tickets for Disneyland and then the other day we would try and take a trip out of the City somewhere to see some of the coast. Prob a bus tour around LA would suit us.
    • Chyna-s
    • By Chyna-s 1st Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 2,609 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    Chyna-s
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:42 PM
    How about Santa Monica? So much nicer than staying in LA.
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 1st Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PanickyJ
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    Is that more expensive again?
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 1st Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 1st Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    Magic castle hotel
    • 1st Oct 16, 7:21 PM
    womderful place to stay
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 2nd Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    Super 8 Culver City, close to airport (few miles) close to Venice and Santa Monica, very clean, friendly, nice big rooms, fridge and microwave, free parking and a pool.

Just stayed there for 3 nights, one of the best motels on the whole 2 weeks trip, couldn't fault it all for a base to explore from.
    • duchy
    • By duchy 2nd Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 17,817 Posts
    • 45,057 Thanks
    duchy
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    In your situation I'd stay in Anaheim, have your day at Disney and do a Greyline tour picking up from your Anaheim hotel for a tour that does the Hollywood high spots and drops you back. I really would want to avoid driving myself in LA I thought it was horrendous.

Santa Monica is lovely but lovely equals expensive hotels, unless you want to consider Airbnb it's a bit of a budget buster. We usually book our Anaheim hotels through Priceline or Hotwire as anything in that area is suitable three star and above . (With Hotwire although you don't get the hotel name til you have paid it's usually pretty easy to work out which one it is going to be using various helpful websites.) we got the Crowne Plaza in Anaheim with Priceline two years running was quite funny cos the valet remembered us despite not having a car the second trip and thought we were loyal regulars (remembered me because whilst sitting outside the hotel there was a hefty earthquake and all the tourists panicked and I strolled over and said "as you guys don't look worried I'm guessing we don't need to ."...he laughed and invited us into their office to see the readings as they were broadcast on local TV. It was startling to see how strong the aftershock was. ) we still went to Disney btw , when we got there all the rides were closed whilst they safety checked them all, within an hour everything was back to normal and we also got free passes for another day to make up for the disappointment which we used the following summer.

A poster mentioned Super 8 . A lot of Brits turn their noses up at motels , in many cases they are ideal , clean, easy to access the freeway , include breakfast , for the time you spend in your hotel on this kind of holiday they are ideal and better than an expensive hotel with lots of facilities you never use because you are out and about anyway.
    Last edited by duchy; 02-10-2016 at 7:42 AM.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 2nd Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    Somewhere else?

;-)

LA is a boil on the otherwise lovely derriere that is California.
    • ABARKIE
    • By ABARKIE 2nd Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    ABARKIE
    I loved staying at Orchid Suites just behind Hollywood & highland metro station when I went LA

Didnt have a car though
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 2nd Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PanickyJ
    Gulp ..just booked a motel
    Nearly all places in LA too expensive and then OH happened on the website for The Tangerine in Burbank....free parking and got good reviews.
    • PanickyJ
    • By PanickyJ 2nd Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    PanickyJ
    womderful place to stay
    Originally posted by Jimmithecat
    Couldn't get a room for dates we wanted but looked really good.
    • John259
    • By John259 2nd Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    John259
    Because the Los Angeles area is so vast, you might want to consider staying in more than one place.

I'll put in another very positive vote for the Super 8 chain. They offer good value, and their quality control is more consistent than with some of the more expensive motel chains.

You can search for motels using Google Maps, and as well as location this will also give some idea of relative pricing and reviews from customers. You can also drop into StreetView mode to view the outside of the property and its neighbourhood.
    For example:
    https://goo.gl/maps/xAT3S6RNUL32
    https://goo.gl/maps/YakDAroSKjs
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • lesley74
    • By lesley74 3rd Oct 16, 8:58 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    lesley74
    Culver City
    Super 8 Culver City, close to airport (few miles) close to Venice and Santa Monica, very clean, friendly, nice big rooms, fridge and microwave, free parking and a pool.

Just stayed there for 3 nights, one of the best motels on the whole 2 weeks trip, couldn't fault it all for a base to explore from.
    Originally posted by wazza99
    We also stayed in Culver City, though I think maybe it was a doubletree. We could walk to the big mall, which was handy to go to in the evening as it had a couple of restaurants too. You might be happy to go out in the car though at night anyway.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 5th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    We stayed in an AirBnB near hollywood (but not too near). It was nice, and much cheaper than the hotels in LA!!!
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 6th Oct 16, 2:53 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    In your situation I'd stay in Anaheim, have your day at Disney and do a Greyline tour picking up from your Anaheim hotel for a tour that does the Hollywood high spots and drops you back. I really would want to avoid driving myself in LA I thought it was horrendous.

Santa Monica is lovely but lovely equals expensive hotels, unless you want to consider Airbnb it's a bit of a budget buster. We usually book our Anaheim hotels through Priceline or Hotwire as anything in that area is suitable three star and above . (With Hotwire although you don't get the hotel name til you have paid it's usually pretty easy to work out which one it is going to be using various helpful websites.) we got the Crowne Plaza in Anaheim with Priceline two years running was quite funny cos the valet remembered us despite not having a car the second trip and thought we were loyal regulars (remembered me because whilst sitting outside the hotel there was a hefty earthquake and all the tourists panicked and I strolled over and said "as you guys don't look worried I'm guessing we don't need to ."...he laughed and invited us into their office to see the readings as they were broadcast on local TV. It was startling to see how strong the aftershock was. ) we still went to Disney btw , when we got there all the rides were closed whilst they safety checked them all, within an hour everything was back to normal and we also got free passes for another day to make up for the disappointment which we used the following summer.

A poster mentioned Super 8 . A lot of Brits turn their noses up at motels , in many cases they are ideal , clean, easy to access the freeway , include breakfast , for the time you spend in your hotel on this kind of holiday they are ideal and better than an expensive hotel with lots of facilities you never use because you are out and about anyway.
    Originally posted by duchy
    Not at all.....https://wilshiremotel.com is a good and relatively inexpensive choice for Santa Monica.
    Tip: If you aren't good at parking in tight spots, ask the owner to do it for you.
    When you are on the ground, you find a lot better places than when buying online via PriceLine and HotWire.

We just booked our first nights on-line for arrival and then found places on the ground as we drove around.
    That's where you find the hidden gems. So glad we did it that way. You need to have the right travel partner.
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 6th Oct 16, 11:28 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Blue264
    Have you had a look at The Line?

http://www.thelinehotel.com/?gclid=CO-npbX6xc8CFWkz0wodHdYI_A

Without knowing what your budget per night is, it's a bit difficult to advise.

If you want an iconic hotel, I'd go for the Hollywood Roosevelt personally. It's steeped in Hollywood history and has a great location. I love the feel of the place.

If you want beach and a bus ride into town, Santa Monica is the place, and it is possible to get decent deals there. Or you could check out the beaches going south down the coast.

I'd only consider Anaheim if I were going to Disneyland every day. I stayed there for a week once and hated it.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 17,104 Posts
    • 6,878 Thanks
    richardw
    There's the light blue rail line from Santa Monica that goes to downtown LA, is that a good service at all?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • John259
    • By John259 9th Oct 16, 7:55 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    John259
    There's the light blue rail line from Santa Monica that goes to downtown LA, is that a good service at all?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Is this it?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_Line_(Los_Angeles_Metro)

Hope that helps a bit, and sorry not to be able to offer any first-hand info.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,523Posts Today

3,965Users online

Martin's Twitter