Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 1st Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 210Posts
    • 1,738Thanks
    bingbon
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016
    • 1st Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016 1st Oct 16 at 10:45 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to Er... Me! for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2016. Let's try this again shall we...
Page 6
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Thanks Dolly - and well done on your DF-ness, too!

My stash does still have a fair amount of Avon stuff in it as I was an Avon lady for a few years - as a result though I pretty much never buy anything from there full price now! Their bubble baths are lovely - the Cranberry & Orange they did a few years ago was lush - no idea if it's a regular winter product now or not though, and won't be going to look as I still have plenty to use!

Aim for this month will be to use up my Champneys Body Butter and drag a new one out of the stash to use. Might UU a bubble bath, we'll see. Also been reminded that I have one of those Superdrug dead sea clay masks in the vanity - need to drag that out and use it as you're right Lucia, it's gorgeous stuff!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 11:15 AM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I have a uu

Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream - WNBA, this is in a pump bottle but it is super thick and stops pumping when it is about a quarter done so I had to put it into a big tub. The results are OK but not good enough to justify a £20+ price tag.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    I've got the ordinary Moroccanoil Oil - nearly fell over at the price when it was recommended but wouldn't be without it now. *might* take a deep breath and try the shampoo and conditioner next time I need to buy - my friend who recommended the oil did say that you only need to use the tiniest amount and it lasts for ages.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • lynseydee
    • By lynseydee 11th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 7,246 Thanks
    lynseydee
    Lovely )or again, worrying?!) to see some of the regulars from "way back when" are still posting on these threads - Hello Pickle! VALM I think you were about then, too?
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    I'm one of the originals too. Have been quite good at the not buying, not so good with the using up though.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off

Owe Virgin £5,950.00 at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC £5,460.78 2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'm one of the originals too. Have been quite good at the not buying, not so good with the using up though.
    Originally posted by lynseydee
    Lynsey I just spotted you'd posted!! Lovely to "see" you again!

I've just had an unexpected UU - work hand cream tube just spluttered to a finish. It's a very old Avon one - and probably past its best, so I won't but cutting the tub open to get at the dregs. WBA - Avon hand creams in general I really like - but I won't go out of my way to order just for one of these.

Got a feeling I have a small tube of Soap & Glory hand food at home requesting to be used up - I'll take a look tonight.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • asset2004
    • By asset2004 11th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 17,498 Thanks
    asset2004
    Well I'm unsure whether I'm impressed or worried that this thread is still going. I was one of the "originals" back when Katie first started us off - with a great big stash which was roaming over a good bit of the bedroom as well as filling our at the time substantially sized vanity unit. I never quite "graduated" but there is no question that the challenge definitely helped me to stall on things like buying yet more of things like shampoo and conditioners "because they were on offer" - as someone said at one stage, there WILL be another offer along when you start running low, and guess what - they're right!
    I'm one of the originals too slowly slowly getting there, but OMG when I see how much money I have already spent it is quite sad.
    I have a UU - Boots Natural Collection body lotion. Bought several years ago and reduced to clear at 75p and on 3 for 2, so ok for 50p!! WBA again at that price but plenty to use first!!
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 11th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    bingbon
    Hi bingbon I'm not sure I agree re the Benefit Goof Proof. I alternate between using this (mine was a freebie too) and the Avon Glimmerstick and the Benefit one wins slightly just because of the shape of the tip. I have to be more careful with the Avon one as my brows can look a little Barbara Cartland.

Have had a good weekend though am sick of eating out. The living room work is finished. Work is starting in the kitchen today and I really hooe the rot is confined to a small area.
    Originally posted by VALM
    VALM, I think my issue with the Goof Proof is that it's not a fine enough point and can't be sharpened like a normal pencil. I might try the NYX wind up one (Micro pencil?) if there's a good colour match. Hope the work's moving on quickly in your house!

I have a couple of UUs,
    12. Lush Avobath Bath Bomb WBA. Really liked the fresh scent of this. Doesn't put on much of a "show" though so maybe would get the shower gel of this if it comes back in the Kitchen again.
    13. Celeria Molla Sandalwood and Bergamot Candle. WDBA. This was a TKMaxx find. These are lovely candles. If I'd known they would burn so well and have such a brilliant scent throw I would have bought the other couple they had. Really hope these turn up there again.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2016. Let's try this again shall we...
    • abbe89
    • By abbe89 11th Oct 16, 10:56 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    abbe89
    I've been AWOL from the forum for a little bit, but have still been working through my stash. My toiletries cupboard is looking much emptier which is good!

I find that I'm getting through shower toiletries fairly well - shower gel, body scrub, shampoo/conditioner - but struggle with body lotions etc. I have so many and they seem to last forever!!!
    SPC 2016 number 058. Target £250....bring it on!
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 11th Oct 16, 11:25 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I need some advice lovey ladies. I bought yesterday two ins that I desperately want to be outs and get a refund for. They are Bliss gel to oil melt cleanser and a hydrating moisturiser by same brand. I bought the moisturiser and got the cleanser free but boy do I wish I hadn't. I've just used both and I now have a very tight feeling itchy red face like a really bad allergic reaction. My skin feels horrible the worst ever!

I bought from my local marks and Spencer's - will I be able to get a refund? I don't know if I have my receipt because I'm an idiot.

It hurts so so so bad and I'm so cross at myself because I shouldn't have been buying in first place but I felt I needed a moisturiser as face been feeling right. Usually I do my research, spend a bit more and test things but I impulse bought. Absolutely gutted. My skins been bad lately anyway but now it's awful!!!
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 12th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    I need some advice lovey ladies. I bought yesterday two ins that I desperately want to be outs and get a refund for. They are Bliss gel to oil melt cleanser and a hydrating moisturiser by same brand. I bought the moisturiser and got the cleanser free but boy do I wish I hadn't. I've just used both and I now have a very tight feeling itchy red face like a really bad allergic reaction. My skin feels horrible the worst ever!

I bought from my local marks and Spencer's - will I be able to get a refund? I don't know if I have my receipt because I'm an idiot.

It hurts so so so bad and I'm so cross at myself because I shouldn't have been buying in first place but I felt I needed a moisturiser as face been feeling right. Usually I do my research, spend a bit more and test things but I impulse bought. Absolutely gutted. My skins been bad lately anyway but now it's awful!!!
    Originally posted by Houseplant26
    I think they say with toiletry items/consumables it's down to the managers discretion or something but if you go in and show them what it has done to your face then that may sway things in your favour.

As far as I'm concerned allergic reactions to things aren't taken very seriously, but I feel they should be.

Especially if you only bought it in the last few days when you go to return it you may have the same till lady who served you when you bought it
    • VALM
    • By VALM 12th Oct 16, 9:25 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 31,346 Thanks
    VALM
    Well I'm unsure whether I'm impressed or worried that this thread is still going. I was one of the "originals" back when Katie first started us off - with a great big stash which was roaming over a good bit of the bedroom as well as filling our at the time substantially sized vanity unit. I never quite "graduated" but there is no question that the challenge definitely helped me to stall on things like buying yet more of things like shampoo and conditioners "because they were on offer" - as someone said at one stage, there WILL be another offer along when you start running low, and guess what - they're right!

Lovely )or again, worrying?!) to see some of the regulars from "way back when" are still posting on these threads - Hello Pickle! VALM I think you were about then, too?

Hi EH good to see you again. I'm still here as I love the chat and nosying at what other people UU. I think that I've found my HG product in most categories and still enjoy the occasional splurge but am mostly, I think, under control.

Some shades etc are summery ones so I have put them away with the stash and kept out the things that are autumn and winter appropriate. Would be a bit silly to go out with a very bronzed face in October with the weather we've been having
    Originally posted by gemmajenkins0208

I'm with you in relation to bronzer and feel it's time to put it away. Since my holiday at the beginning of September I've been using Balance N Brighten only as my Tarte foundation did not fit together with bronzer but this morning decided it was time for winter face!
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 12th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 31,346 Thanks
    VALM
    How weird. I opened a L'oreal Lumi Magique primer yesterday to try, I unwound the great long length of plastic then tried to pull the lid off and the whole pump came flying out and sprayed primer all over my bed. The lid is way too tight.
    Originally posted by dolly84

Yes! This is what happened to me. I opened it a bit more gingerly this morning.

Originally posted by lynseydee
    I'm one of the originals too !!
    Originally posted by asset2004

Woah, it's like a reunion. Welcome back ladies.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 12th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 31,346 Thanks
    VALM
    VALM, I think my issue with the Goof Proof is that it's not a fine enough point and can't be sharpened like a normal pencil. I might try the NYX wind up one (Micro pencil?) if there's a good colour match. Hope the work's moving on quickly in your house!

Originally posted by bingbon

See, I like the Goof proof because of the shape of the nib. Horses for courses! Work finally finished at home yesterday and to our great relief the rot had not infested much of the kitchen - only affected the area just inside the door way. So, now the fun starts of redecorating, recarpeting and saving for a new kitchen. Yay.

You need to find the receipt I think. Can't see you getting anywhere without it. It may well be that M&S will give you a refund if you've had a reaction but not without a receipt (I reckon).

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 12th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 3,338 Posts
    • 31,346 Thanks
    VALM
    PP List update:-

Used:-
    LE C&P - 200ml pump. Feeling light

Supergdrug B wipes - half pack (mine)
    LUSH King of Skin - part used
    L'Occitane Cherry Blossom shower gel - 1 application left

Still in Use:-

TBS Seaweed serum - about half used
    Murad clarifying mask - small tube. Will cut this one. Maybe 2 applications in there
    L'Occitane Cherry Blossom shower gel - 1 application left
    Mark Hill straightening cream - tube feels light (mine)
    Umber to Giannini hairspray- few spritzes left
    Sample sachets

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • Catriona_P
    • By Catriona_P 12th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    Catriona_P
    I find that I'm getting through shower toiletries fairly well - shower gel, body scrub, shampoo/conditioner - but struggle with body lotions etc. I have so many and they seem to last forever!!!
    Originally posted by abbe89

Little tip - if you shave, applying body lotion before you do makes the skin softer and shaving easier (I find). This is how I use up my body lotions!

A UU for me - Anna Sui's rock star perfume. I really like Anna Sui perfumes and this is one I hadn't had before (a gift). WBA.

Hope you're ok Houseplant!
    "Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."
    LBM Debt March 12 - £3,241 Paid Aug 2014!
    Debt 2 - 0% CC (till Oct 17) - £2,021.22
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 6,374 Posts
    • 35,180 Thanks
    EssexHebridean

I suspect they may offer you a credit note, but in my experience M&S's Customer Services is absolutely excellent on stuff like this. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Loving our "original gang" reunion - funny the way we all return to the mother-ship!

Did indeed have a small tube of Hand Food at home so that's now sitting on my desk.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • fixx
    • By fixx 12th Oct 16, 3:09 PM
    • 636 Posts
    • 5,428 Thanks
    fixx
    I'm one of the originals too

I did disappear for a couple of years when I was living abroad, and my stash was under control. I rejoined when I moved back to the UK and discovered all the beauty boxes that had appeare!

My stash is pretty under control now - I like how VALM said it:

Hi EH good to see you again. I'm still here as I love the chat and nosying at what other people UU. I think that I've found my HG product in most categories and still enjoy the occasional splurge but am mostly, I think, under control.
    Originally posted by VALM
    I would not have discovered some great products (or alternate uses for products) without this little community. And the other bonus for me - my skin is much better than it used to be. Yes, I have a few more lines (boo!) but it's clearer, brighter, and better balanced.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 12th Oct 16, 7:43 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I suspect they may offer you a credit note, but in my experience M&S's Customer Services is absolutely excellent on stuff like this. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Loving our "original gang" reunion - funny the way we all return to the mother-ship!

Did indeed have a small tube of Hand Food at home so that's now sitting on my desk.
    Thanks all for your advice. I actually direct messaged M&S on Twitter and they asked me for the product numbers to pass to the relevant team. Impressed by them so far. Fingers crossed for a credit note, I don't mind that terribly I could buy yummy food.

I've calmed down about the whole thing now, it just stressed me out having a red angry face!
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 12th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 9,652 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    I have a UU from my 5 by Christmas UU 1 mini Lancome Day Cream, used the Genifique cream really like it seemed to smooth skin well, have a few mini's of this so will see how it goes instead of using my fav Hydrazen

1 - OPI mini polish - would like to get rid of more of the mini's I have
    2 - Urban Decay one & Done - this is a light weight product I have been using in the summer when I don't want to use foundation, there isn't much left but won't use this as much now the weather is changing adding to the list to ensure I make an effort to UU before it goes off.
    3 - UU- 1 Lancôme sample Day Cream
    4 - 1 Travel size Body lotion - Once the Crabtree & Eveylyn one is gone would like to try and continue using Body lotion. I think UU a travel size is manageable
    5 - UU 1 Urban Decay eye shadow - other than 50/50 - have loads of eye shadow and loads that have hit pan, would like to get some more finished.

No movement on anything else or the carry over from the Autumn Challenge.
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 12th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I have a sample UU - ole Hendrickson vit c serum. Wmb seemed to give skin a nice glow and radiance but pricy and not an essential.

I have some sample ins though (not doing too well at the stash, it's too tempting to try and get freebies it's a bit addictive...) a sachet of khiels shampoo and conditioner been wanting to try as I have quite a sensitive scalp and annoying flat hair that is both greasy and damaged/breaking from old bleach diy jobs. I've also obtained a random hotel freebie bottle of body lotion from OH who goes away sometimes with work.

Ive been thinking a bit lately about this thread, and me and why I spend money on toiletries. I'm aware that my self esteem can be quite low. I'm also aware that if I'm feeling rubbish (I suffer from depression and anxiety which is currently mild and managed) I find skincare in particularly is like a little bit of a weird crux. It reminds me I am capable of taking care of myself and almost gives me a sense that I know what I am doing in this area of my life. Some days I don't want to even do my teeth (but I 9.5:10 do!) but making myself pamper a bit makes me do the basics too. I've also realised I was bullied quite badly at school in a very much unkind comments based way, and I have some memories of people being very unkind about the way I looked.

I'm quite lazy in my appearance these days and I'm rubbish at making myself do my makeup and only do the basics - but I want nice fancy face things regardless of using some of them regularly (I've been better lately and I do use my skincare)!

Has anyone else given much thought to why they overbuy toiletries?

Is this a bit too heavy for this thread? Sorry if it is and do tell me, I won't be offended. I'm
    Just wondering if thinking about this may help us?
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 12th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 3,820 Posts
    • 9,675 Thanks
    Hermia
    UU Nivea Irresistibly Smooth body lotion. I WBA, but I prefer the Garnier body lotions.

Ive been thinking a bit lately about this thread, and me and why I spend money on toiletries. I'm aware that my self esteem can be quite low. I'm also aware that if I'm feeling rubbish (I suffer from depression and anxiety which is currently mild and managed) I find skincare in particularly is like a little bit of a weird crux. It reminds me I am capable of taking care of myself and almost gives me a sense that I know what I am doing in this area of my life. Some days I don't want to even do my teeth (but I 9.5:10 do!) but making myself pamper a bit makes me do the basics too. I've also realised I was bullied quite badly at school in a very much unkind comments based way, and I have some memories of people being very unkind about the way I looked.

I'm quite lazy in my appearance these days and I'm rubbish at making myself do my makeup and only do the basics - but I want nice fancy face things regardless of using some of them regularly (I've been better lately and I do use my skincare)!

Has anyone else given much thought to why they overbuy toiletries?

Is this a bit too heavy for this thread? Sorry if it is and do tell me, I won't be offended. I'm
    Just wondering if thinking about this may help us?
    I think if you shop too much or you hoard it is essential to work out why. I see a lot of these decluttering experts who just concentrate on the practical side of decluttering and don't think the emotional side is important. I think if you do that you can slip right back into old habits.

I think I tend to buy cosmetics and toiletries when I am feeling down. I tend to buy products for the life I want not the life I actually have. It started in my early 20s. I was caring for my terminally ill father. I only really got to go out to get the shopping and I would find myself buying glamorous party make-up that I had no chance of wearing. I later realised it was because I was depressed on missing out on my youth. Even now I find I have to watch myself if I am feeling down. I have to remind myself that it would be better for me to save the money and keep it to spend when my life is better.

I do find it really useful to reflect on how much my unused stash is worth sometimes. I once looked at my make-up collection and was very depressed when I realised that I could have paid for a pretty high-end weekend in Paris with that money. I would prefer to have had a small cosmetics collection and a weekend in Paris! I think this is one of the reasons I stopped watching the YouTube beauty gurus. So many whinge in their vlogs about all the places they would like to visit or the house they would like to buy and then they haul £300 of products. It drove me bonkers watching them not getting that they could have the things they wanted if they didn't buy 20 lipsticks a month!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,883Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter