Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 1st Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 270Posts
    • 2,288Thanks
    bingbon
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016
    • 1st Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2016 1st Oct 16 at 10:45 AM
    Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to Er... Me! for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
    UU - Use Ups
    IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
    NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
    WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
    Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
    PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
    Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
    GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
    HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
    NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
    LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
    PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
    GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
    TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
    PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
    2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
    3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
    4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
    5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
    6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
    February 2012
    March 2012
    April 2012
    May 2012
    June 2012
    July 2012
    August 2012
    September 2012
    October 2012
    November 2012
    December 2012
    January 2013
    February 2013
    March 2013
    April 2013
    May 2013
    June 2013
    July 2013
    August 2013
    September 2013
    October 2013
    November 2013
    December 2013
    January 2014
    February 2014
    March 2014
    April 2014
    May 2014
    June 2014
    July 2014
    August 2014
    September 2014
    October 2014
    November 2014
    December 2014
    January 2015
    February 2015
    March 2015
    April 2015
    May 2015
    June 2015
    July 2015
    August 2015
    September 2015
    October 2015
    November 2015
    December 2015
    January 2016
    February 2016
    March 2016
    April 2016
    May 2016
    June 2016
    July 2016
    August 2016
    September 2016
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
Page 5
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 9th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 29,701 Thanks
    dolly84
    Advent Calendars - there do seem to be a lot more coming out this year - there's even an Opi one to rival Ciate! This is the most comprehensive list I've found so far.

http://theldndiaries.com/the-best-advent-calendars-for-2016/

I'm still not sure what I'll get, i'm debating my options - but certainly not one of the top priced ones
    Originally posted by fixx
    I've had two advent calendars in the past but in all honesty now I would rather spend the money on something I really want rather than a load of minis I might want.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 9th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 34,490 Thanks
    VALM
    I've had two advent calendars in the past but in all honesty now I would rather spend the money on something I really want rather than a load of minis I might want.
    Originally posted by dolly84
    As there is another L'Occitane email freebie going around I thought I would take advantage of this and use the £10 voucher to buy the calendar. Seems that L'Occitane are not as generous as they used to be in that you now have to buy something to qualify for the free gift (which in itself is not as generous as it used to be). I am using their Shea soap and ultra shea lotion at the mo and will run out of soap first so bought a bar. I was then told that there is no voucher in the GWP - you simply are offered the discount there and then. When I tried to buy the calendar they said the "voucher " cannot be used with any other promotions. As the calendar is already discounted you can't use it against this. The calendar then lost its appeal especially as it's full of travel sizes that they give away regularly anyway. The SAs were not happy that I would not be put on the spot to buy something else and didn't even put any samples in my bag.

I really fancy the feel unique one though. Have seen some others whilst I've been out today though.

Bough 2 Essue polishes (Superdrug selling buy one get one half price. Got Playing Koi for me which I've just applied and is gorgeous kind of pumpkin colour. Bought Kimono Over for Emma.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • Tolteca87
    • By Tolteca87 9th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    Tolteca87
    I was looking at the calenders but I've got so many samples and minis - seriously, I've boxes and bags full of them - of so many different types that I've decided to DIY. I'm also skint.

So, I'm going to try a new different sample or mini every day, so I get a similar experience at no extra cost or additions to the stash. If I had kids I'd give them a craft project to make the box for mum, but as I don't, I'll just have to take them out of the bags and boxes.

Trying new things from the stash has already paid dividends as it turns out my skin adores LE C&P (at the one pump dosage) and almost all the broken veins in my cheeks are now gone, the big ones by the nose are going down and the crater pores are closed/closing. To be honest, I think I had a different type of eczema in my cheeks to the patches I had over my eyebrows and it's dealt with both.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 9th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 24,912 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Just caught up after a holiday near York, enjoyed lots of window shopping, but was very good, so only one IN, a planned purchase of MAC mascara.

October PP list
    59ml Perricone MD nourishing moisturiser.
    30ml Perricone MD Chia serum
    15ml BS Aloe Eye Defence
    50ml Unknown styling spray (decanted into another spray bottle when original stopped working – can’t remember what it was! )
    5ml Lancome Visionnaire Cream
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+
    2ml Burberry Eau de Parfum
    15ml Gatineau Melatogenine Advanced Anti-Aging Cream
    5ml Vichy Liftactiv Advanced Filler
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 9th Oct 16, 7:28 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,902 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Sorted out my stash and UU items some more this weekend and managed to store it so that it takes up even less space. Everything was on the floor stacked and piled up right next to my wardrobe which means i have to be careful not to knock anything each time i walk past it and i have to pick it up every time i hoover.

It is still on the floor but I've managed to 'consolidate' it so it takes up less space. It's just 2 containers now which make it easier to move as and when i need to and there is more space to walk past it without worrying about knocking something

My stash items are in 1 container and my UU things(apart from the shower gel and shampoo) are in another container so once I've UU'ed my UU items that will get rid of 1 container
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 9th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 2,308 Posts
    • 7,088 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    I was looking at the calenders but I've got so many samples and minis - seriously, I've boxes and bags full of them - of so many different types that I've decided to DIY. I'm also skint.

So, I'm going to try a new different sample or mini every day, so I get a similar experience at no extra cost or additions to the stash. If I had kids I'd give them a craft project to make the box for mum, but as I don't, I'll just have to take them out of the bags and boxes.

Trying new things from the stash has already paid dividends as it turns out my skin adores LE C&P (at the one pump dosage) and almost all the broken veins in my cheeks are now gone, the big ones by the nose are going down and the crater pores are closed/closing. To be honest, I think I had a different type of eczema in my cheeks to the patches I had over my eyebrows and it's dealt with both.
    Originally posted by Tolteca87
    I'm going with your method. Have too many mini's already and trying not to spend too much. It will be a pleasure to try a new item each day
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2017 (37/142 UU, 16 INs)
    • bingbon
    • By bingbon 9th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 2,288 Thanks
    bingbon
    I got three advent calendars last year but so far am resisting this year! I think I'd rather buy gift sets in the sales than have an advent again. I enjoyed them but it didn't stop me buying other stuff anyway!
    Speaking of sales, I'm debating going to a Lush Boxing day sale but I don't know if it might be a bit too

I have some UUs!
    6. Simple Cleansing Wipes WBA
    7. Eye of Horus Goddess Mascara WNBA. Got this in a beauty box. It wasn't bad but nothing special and the wand always felt like it was about to break. It's completely dried up now but I used it a lot.
    8. Bourjois 1 Seconde Volume Mascara WBA. Really like this but it's been open too long now and made my eyes itch.
    9. Lush Tea Tree Toner Water WBA. Love their toner sprays. They feel so much more moisturising than any others I've tried.
    10. L’Oreal Elvive Renutrition Shampoo WNBA. Prefer other Elvive ones.
    11. Benefit Goof Proof Brow Pencil WNB. This was a magazine freebie. I'd get it again on a mag but I think there are cheaper ones which are just as good.

I'm really pleased with my UUs so far this month but then I went and ruined it by buying...
    4x candles, 3 shower gels, 2 foundations, and 8 bubble bars/bath bombs.
    I mean, really, what do they put in those bath bombs? Crack?
    I can only justify two things out of all of that. First is one of the foundations. My Rimmel Match Perfection is about to run out and I don't like to be without it. It's 7.99 and it was 2 for a tenner in Superdrug so got the Rimmel Fresher Skin to try too. The other thing is one of the shower gels. They had big bottles of Sanex for better than half price and my current one isn't far off finished so figured I'd get one while it was cheap because it will get used. I like to have a Sanex on standby for when my skin gets sensitive and I like having an unscented shower gel to use with my bath bombs etc.

Must try harder! When I see things I want at this time of year I need to just write it down and ask for it for Christmas but I never think of that at the time. Now my candle box is full, my Lush box is overflowing and my general toiletries stash drawer only just shuts. And I really want something from Wednesday's Lush Kitchen menu. Good job I'm doing overtime!

Hope everyone's had a good weekend!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017. Jan stash: 490
    • asajj
    • By asajj 10th Oct 16, 2:10 AM
    • 4,059 Posts
    • 9,884 Thanks
    asajj
    Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hi Hope all well and UUs are coming along nicely!
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 10th Oct 16, 6:38 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 34,490 Thanks
    VALM

Originally posted by Tolteca87
    When I switched to Cleanse and Polish I noticed these kind of results too. I had quite ruddy cheeks that I used to apply yellow powder to tone down. Within days of using this the ruddiness was gone. I don't always use C&P now but my daughter still loves it and I'm presently finishing a pump off. Do still love the fragrance of this.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 10th Oct 16, 6:39 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 34,490 Thanks
    VALM
    Just caught up after a holiday near York, enjoyed lots of window shopping, but was very good, so only one IN, a planned purchase of MAC mascara.

October PP list
    59ml Perricone MD nourishing moisturiser.
    30ml Perricone MD Chia serum
    15ml BS Aloe Eye Defence
    50ml Unknown styling spray (decanted into another spray bottle when original stopped working – can’t remember what it was! )
    5ml Lancome Visionnaire Cream
    50ml Alpha-H Protection Plus spf 50+
    2ml Burberry Eau de Parfum
    15ml Gatineau Melatogenine Advanced Anti-Aging Cream
    5ml Vichy Liftactiv Advanced Filler
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Glad you had a good trip x

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • VALM
    • By VALM 10th Oct 16, 6:45 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 34,490 Thanks
    VALM
    Hi bingbon I'm not sure I agree re the Benefit Goof Proof. I alternate between using this (mine was a freebie too) and the Avon Glimmerstick and the Benefit one wins slightly just because of the shape of the tip. I have to be more careful with the Avon one as my brows can look a little Barbara Cartland.

Have had a good weekend though am sick of eating out. The living room work is finished. Work is starting in the kitchen today and I really hooe the rot is confined to a small area.

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • bradleysmum
    • By bradleysmum 10th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    bradleysmum
    I used to buy from them and enjoyed the products, although some of them seem to be a lot more expensive than they were when I shopped with them. I might treat myself when I get through my stash. I notice that French YouTubers seem to always have Yves Rocher in their hauls (and rave about them) so I assume they are a well-regarded brand over there.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    Lovely thankyou, I will have a proper look when the next email comes in ( prob by the end of the day!) and see what's about, not that I need anything now
    • Houseplant26
    • By Houseplant26 10th Oct 16, 12:44 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    Houseplant26
    I have an in 'Nivea Sensitive eye make up remover' and 2x sample UUs Lancôme genifique and Sunday Riley Luna. Want to try another sample of Luna to see what all the hype is about more properly as skin does look good next day. Lancôme I can do without.
    • VALM
    • By VALM 10th Oct 16, 1:59 PM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 34,490 Thanks
    VALM
    3 UUs at the weekend:-

200ml Liz Earle C&P. Will repurchase for Emma.

Cutex Acetone free nail polish remover. This was Emma's. Prefer the one with acetone in as it's more effective. So WNBA.

Sample tube of No 7 primer. This was lovely however I don't like primer in a tube as I can't control the amount of application. Sometimes I applied too much and my skin became oily. May try again when I need to replace the L'oreal one that I opened this morning. Speaking of which I managed to yank the whole top off and spray some across my carpet. Does not come out of carpet easily!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 10th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 38,559 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Well I'm unsure whether I'm impressed or worried that this thread is still going. I was one of the "originals" back when Katie first started us off - with a great big stash which was roaming over a good bit of the bedroom as well as filling our at the time substantially sized vanity unit. I never quite "graduated" but there is no question that the challenge definitely helped me to stall on things like buying yet more of things like shampoo and conditioners "because they were on offer" - as someone said at one stage, there WILL be another offer along when you start running low, and guess what - they're right!

Lovely )or again, worrying?!) to see some of the regulars from "way back when" are still posting on these threads - Hello Pickle! VALM I think you were about then, too?

I'm joining in as much as anything else because I have accumulated a supply of body butters and the like, and have slipped back into the habit of not getting round to using them, so I thought that focusing back here might help. Sure there's other stuff, too. I'm "cured" on th shampoo/conditioner front though - I now have the one I'm using plus at the most one spare - and in fact nearly ran out of conditioner last time I came to the end of one!

We had our bathroom re-done back in the spring so the vanity unit is now substantially smaller - meaning I have no choice but to keep the stash under control. I also no longer have things out around the edge of the bath so I'm limited to just what is out - at the moment 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, shower gel & bubble bath.

The stalls on the market had the mini toothpaste tubes on saturday when I was there - I use them for travel and had actually run out completely so that was a useful find. 13 of them for £2 will do nicely.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£373.02
    • gemmajenkins0208
    • By gemmajenkins0208 10th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,902 Thanks
    gemmajenkins0208
    Sorted through all my makeup as I want to start wearing makeup

Everything is still sealed so once I open it I'll judge by eye how long I can use it for before it needs to be binned.

Some shades etc are summery ones so I have put them away with the stash and kept out the things that are autumn and winter appropriate. Would be a bit silly to go out with a very bronzed face in October with the weather we've been having
    • lucia22
    • By lucia22 10th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    lucia22
    Have a few more UU. My current conditioner and body scrub are also running out and hopefully will be gone by the next 2-3 showers:

UU
    Sogedin Hotels Shower and Shampoo 15ml - I still managed to make this sachet last as shower gel for two showers, which shows why I take so long to get through a bottle of shower gel.
    Superdrug Dead Sea Purifying Clay Mask 15ml - This is a favourite of mine - it does a great job of clearing my pores. WDBA. I now have 5 or 6 face mask sachets in the stash so I'm getting through them.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2017 (Total 2016 UU - 211)
    Toiletries Total UU to end of May - 53
    |June - UU - 13| Makeup Total UU to end of May - 2
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Oct 16, 8:15 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 29,701 Thanks
    dolly84
    3 UUs at the weekend:-

200ml Liz Earle C&P. Will repurchase for Emma.

Cutex Acetone free nail polish remover. This was Emma's. Prefer the one with acetone in as it's more effective. So WNBA.

Sample tube of No 7 primer. This was lovely however I don't like primer in a tube as I can't control the amount of application. Sometimes I applied too much and my skin became oily. May try again when I need to replace the L'oreal one that I opened this morning. Speaking of which I managed to yank the whole top off and spray some across my carpet. Does not come out of carpet easily!
    Originally posted by VALM
    How weird. I opened a L'oreal Lumi Magique primer yesterday to try, I unwound the great long length of plastic then tried to pull the lid off and the whole pump came flying out and sprayed primer all over my bed. The lid is way too tight.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Oct 16, 8:22 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 29,701 Thanks
    dolly84
    Welcome back Essex. I have been posting on here for a long time, I had a period of insanity where I bought tons of makeup and other beauty products, I am now using and enjoying it all but my aim is to be much more minimalist in this area of my life in the future but not like some minimal people where they chuck the whole lot out. I have it and I will use it.

October is a bit slow on the UU front mainly because I finished so many things last month I suppose. No ins for me this month and only 1 last month, I do have an Avon order coming but that is just SPF for DH (an essential as he is outside all day) and bubble bath for the whole family to use.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 11th Oct 16, 10:25 AM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 29,701 Thanks
    dolly84
    I have a uu

Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream - WNBA, this is in a pump bottle but it is super thick and stops pumping when it is about a quarter done so I had to put it into a big tub. The results are OK but not good enough to justify a £20+ price tag.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,830Posts Today

5,143Users online

Martin's Twitter