Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 30th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 6,578Posts
    • 4,758Thanks
    Jo4
    Lebara Money Credit Card - Keep or Replace?
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    Lebara Money Credit Card - Keep or Replace? 30th Sep 16 at 10:05 PM
    I took a Lebara Money Card out for someone else and I received the following email on the 11th August but I am only remembering about it now,

"Dear Cardholder,

This is to give you 60 days notification in accordance with clause 13.1 of the Lebara Prepaid MasterCard® terms and conditions that with effect from 28th August 2016 there will be a minor change in the terms and conditions and there will no longer be an automatic renewal when your card expires and the card will no longer be renewed. If you wish to cancel your card now you can by contacting us at lebara-money@qcs-uk.com and there will be no redemption fee.
    You do not need to take any action now but if you have any other questions please contact our customer service on 01235 252000.

Lebara Customer Service Team"

Should I close this account? As far as I remember 2 years ago £20 had to be paid for the 2 cards for the account. Is there any similar card which you would recommend that doesn't charge fees and which when you credit it the cash is available to spend immediately?
    Aiming for 18 NSDs in November 2016 - 9 / 14
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
Page 2
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 11th Oct 16, 10:15 PM
    • 10,122 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Sign up on your or their partner's Smartphone, but with their SIM/phone number. You can enter the virtual card details on to Paypal within minutes of signup.

No one will be able to access the account without permission, as a shortcode will be sent to the registered number. Which will be hers or her partner's phone.

So they can simply borrow your phone for a minute in order to check the account from time to time. They can sign in from yours say and when the shortcode is sent to their phone, you can enter it on yours to complete the sign in.

Partner can make a bank transfer to the Revolut account, so again no need to access via the app.
    Can just sign in from time to time to check all is ok....or to block the card.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 11th Oct 16, 10:18 PM
    • 10,122 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    On the other hand, a Virgin Money Essential account supplies a Visa debit on which you cannot be overdrawn.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

Though of course it will take longer to receive a card.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Oct 16, 10:28 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    On the other hand, a Virgin Money Essential account supplies a Visa debit on which you cannot be overdrawn.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/current-account/essential-current-account.jsp

Though of course it will take longer to receive a card.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    A bank account is a definite no no for them.
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    Sign up on your or their partner's Smartphone, but with their SIM/phone number. You can enter the virtual card details on to Paypal within minutes of signup.

No one will be able to access the account without permission, as a shortcode will be sent to the registered number. Which will be hers or her partner's phone.

So they can simply borrow your phone for a minute in order to check the account from time to time. They can sign in from yours say and when the shortcode is sent to their phone, you can enter it on yours to complete the sign in.

Partner can make a bank transfer to the Revolut account, so again no need to access via the app.
    Can just sign in from time to time to check all is ok....or to block the card.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Thanks!!

They also have an iPhone 4.

My phone is short on memory but I will check if I could download it for them. I live a distance from them but they could phone me.

I'll try now and see what happens.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    I don't believe it my phone battery needs recharged before I got the chance to try. They are tired and going to bed shortly so I may try tomorrow when I get my phone charged and I can call them if need be.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 17th Dec 16, 2:18 AM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    I haven't forgot about this and I intend to get it completed on Tuesday at the latest. The person's significant other was seriously ill in hospital but they are are out of hospital and on the mend at last.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Dec 16, 10:46 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    eDicky
    Revolut have resumed taking new customers, but there's now a £5 fee for the physical card and the monthly fee-free ATM withdrawal limit is reduced to £200.

Monzo now has a transfer function between users, only for iOS users so far I think. There are no fees and non sterling transactions at the straight MasterCard rate.

Soldo may be useful by having a subsidiary cardholder on the same account, there are some fees but good for non sterling purchases.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 17th Dec 16, 10:27 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    Revolut have resumed taking new customers, but there's now a £5 fee for the physical card and the monthly fee-free ATM withdrawal limit is reduced to £200.

Monzo now has a transfer function between users, only for iOS users so far I think. There are no fees and non sterling transactions at the straight MasterCard rate.

Soldo may be useful by having a subsidiary cardholder on the same account, there are some fees but good for non sterling purchases.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Is Revolut still the best overall for the individual mentioned above?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 17th Dec 16, 11:08 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    Can their significant other top up the Revolut card from their own bank account which doesn't have the person who will be using the card name on it? When I read the FAQs it said that someone at their address could top it up but another part said that if the money credited to their account wasn't from an account with their name on it that a fee would be deducted and returned to the sender.

https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?cat_id=10&faq_id_according=4&ca t_name=Common%20Faqs#parentVerticalTab10

You can make a transfer to Revolut via online/mobile banking or by instructing your bank to make the transfer.

Hit the 'Top Up' button and tap 'Top up via Transfer'. Next, select the currency you would like to top up your Revolut account in. The rule is that you should top up in the currency that your bank account is held in. For example, if you have a UK bank account make sure you top-up in GBP.

You will be directed to a page which shows the account details you need to make a transfer to. If you are making a transfer from a bank account in the UK please select 'Local' to find our account number and sort-code. Alternatively, select 'Iban' to find our GBP Iban and SWIFT code.

Crucially:

Please ensure the reference/description for your transfer is the 8-digit reference number highlighted in pink on this page and no other text so the funds go straight into your account. If you forget to use this reference contact the in-app support.
    You can deposit money to your Revolut account only from a bank account registered in your name. Transfers from third parties, including but not limited to companies, friends & family, will be returned to the sender's account after deducting processing fees.

Use your own debit and credit card to top up
    To make things easier for you, make sure to use your own debit and credit card when topping up your Revolut account. Doing so will simplify the security verification process on our side and will make sure your money gets to your Revolut account without a hitch. A little trick we suggest is to get your friends/partners/families to create their own Revolut account, top up, and send the money to you via the app! In-app transfers occur instantly – so you’ll have your money in the blink of an eye!

https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?cat_id=10&faq_id_according=4&ca t_name=Common%20Faqs#parentVerticalTab4

This is the best part of the app - it is frictionless, instant and free!

Go to the ‘Send’ section of the app and check the ‘On Revolut’ list at the top of your contact list. Find your friend and check that they have a blue ‘R’ next to their name.

Next, click on your friend and enter in the amount you would like to send. You can choose the currency by clicking on the ‘£’ and selecting ‘£’ , ‘$’ or ‘€’. Then just click ‘Send’ and the money will appear instantly in their Revolut account!

If your friend doesn't appear in your contact list with a blue ‘R’ - just add a new contact by pressing the ( ) in the top right hand corner. Add their name and mobile number as registered on their Revolut profile to your contacts. Then, refresh your contacts by pulling down on the list and they should appear instantly with a blue ‘R’ next to their name.
    Last edited by Jo4; 17-12-2016 at 11:30 PM.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 17th Dec 16, 11:35 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    Would it work if I opened a Revolut account in my name and an account was opened in the name of the person who needs an account so that I could then make the payments direct from my debit card to my account and then on to the person who actually needs the card?

I am trying to come up with a solution and get this sorted for them at last.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 18th Dec 16, 11:13 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Why not just get an Savings account with an ATM card?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Dec 16, 2:26 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    eDicky
    Would it work if I opened a Revolut account in my name and an account was opened in the name of the person who needs an account so that I could then make the payments direct from my debit card to my account and then on to the person who actually needs the card?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Yes, that's the only way to do it if the person has no way to load funds from an account of their own.

I had a quick look at Monzo's T&Cs and saw nothing that says it cannot be loaded using another person's debit card, so it might be worth trying. The app is more straightforward than that of Revolut, if that would help.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 18th Dec 16, 5:50 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    Yes, that's the only way to do it if the person has no way to load funds from an account of their own.

I had a quick look at Monzo's T&Cs and saw nothing that says it cannot be loaded using another person's debit card, so it might be worth trying. The app is more straightforward than that of Revolut, if that would help.
    I set up an account in my name with no problems however when I set the account up in their name it now wants their photographic ID. Is this normal?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 19th Dec 16, 10:00 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    eDicky
    I set up an account in my name with no problems however when I set the account up in their name it now wants their photographic ID. Is this normal?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    If you mean Revolut, they require the user to verify themselves for use of more than a minimal amount, I think £750 or maybe it's now reduced. This requires capturing a selfie and photo of passport or driving licence with the app. Why they should require this immediately for your 'person' I don't know, perhaps it's something new for those with no possibility of electronic identification.

I'm thinking you should look at Soldo, which I don't use myself, but you can have a supplementary card issued on your account with that user's name but probably no other requirements apart from being aged 8+.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 20th Dec 16, 1:52 AM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    If you mean Revolut, they require the user to verify themselves for use of more than a minimal amount, I think £750 or maybe it's now reduced. This requires capturing a selfie and photo of passport or driving licence with the app. Why they should require this immediately for your 'person' I don't know, perhaps it's something new for those with no possibility of electronic identification.

I'm thinking you should look at Soldo, which I don't use myself, but you can have a supplementary card issued on your account with that user's name but probably no other requirements apart from being aged 8+.
    I only got to set up their account. I didn't even get the chance to attempt to credit any money to it when they requested the photo ID which I thought was strange?!?!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th Dec 16, 10:31 AM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    eDicky
    I only got to set up their account. I didn't even get the chance to attempt to credit any money to it when they requested the photo ID which I thought was strange?!?!
    Originally posted by Jo4
    You told us this already. On whose phone did you set up their account? I think Revolut have had to introduce precautions to prevent abuse of their facilities.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 3rd Jan 17, 7:13 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    You told us this already. On whose phone did you set up their account? I think Revolut have had to introduce precautions to prevent abuse of their facilities.
    I set up their account on my phone. It was a Revoult account. I didn't look near either of the accounts since. I credited £20 to my account, which I presume is still on it.

Should I give Revoult the other person's ID?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Jan 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    eDicky
    I set up their account on my phone. It was a Revoult account. I didn't look near either of the accounts since. I credited £20 to my account, which I presume is still on it.

Should I give Revoult the other person's ID?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    It's not easy to follow what you doing. A Revolut user is identified by their phone number, which is given when setting up the account (but can be changed). Then initial login on the app is done by receiving a one-time code by SMS to that number. Did you set up two separate accounts, for yourself and the other person, on your own phone and giving the same phone number for both, or what?
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 3rd Jan 17, 10:21 PM
    • 6,578 Posts
    • 4,758 Thanks
    Jo4
    It's not easy to follow what you doing. A Revolut user is identified by their phone number, which is given when setting up the account (but can be changed). Then initial login on the app is done by receiving a one-time code by SMS to that number. Did you set up two separate accounts, for yourself and the other person, on your own phone and giving the same phone number for both, or what?
    I set up 2 separate accounts, one for myself and one for the other person, on my own phone but I gave their phone number for their account and my phone number for my account.

I hope this clarifies the situation for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

291Posts Today

2,929Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning & goodbye. Now my series is over, I'm going to take a week off work & twitter to spend time with Mrs & mini MSE. Ta ta for now

• RT @JulieGriff4: £2800 paid into my bank thanks to @MartinSLewis advice about packaged accounts. Unexpected and welcome. Great advice ????

• RT @justwanna: Listened to an hour's worth of @MartinSLewis podcasts. Now have a pathological need to save some money!

• Follow Martin