Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 30th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    • 6,565Posts
    • 4,752Thanks
    Jo4
    Lebara Money Credit Card - Keep or Replace?
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:05 PM
    Lebara Money Credit Card - Keep or Replace? 30th Sep 16 at 10:05 PM
    I took a Lebara Money Card out for someone else and I received the following email on the 11th August but I am only remembering about it now,

"Dear Cardholder,

This is to give you 60 days notification in accordance with clause 13.1 of the Lebara Prepaid MasterCard® terms and conditions that with effect from 28th August 2016 there will be a minor change in the terms and conditions and there will no longer be an automatic renewal when your card expires and the card will no longer be renewed. If you wish to cancel your card now you can by contacting us at lebara-money@qcs-uk.com and there will be no redemption fee.
    You do not need to take any action now but if you have any other questions please contact our customer service on 01235 252000.

Lebara Customer Service Team"

Should I close this account? As far as I remember 2 years ago £20 had to be paid for the 2 cards for the account. Is there any similar card which you would recommend that doesn't charge fees and which when you credit it the cash is available to spend immediately?
    Aiming for 18 NSDs in November 2016 - 9 / 14
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 1st Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 1st Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 1st Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    It sounds like Lebara will be discontinuing this card as there is no mention of how to renew(?). There are much better value options available such as Pockit, Revolut, Monzo (perhaps), so better to take advantage of the free redemption/cancellation.
    Evolution, not revolution
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 23,189 Posts
    • 10,534 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 1st Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    What is the attraction of pre-pay cards that charge a fee?
    I just don't get it.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 1st Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 1st Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 1st Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    Pockit or Soldo. Both charge fees as does the Lebara prepaid card. Whether Soldo is cheaper than Pockit depends on how many ATM withdrawals are done. UK ATM withdrawals on Soldo are 50p compared with 99p for Pockit. But Pockit has no monthly fee but Soldo has a £2 monthly fee currently reduced to a promotional £1 per month. Soldo has the edge though for £1 overseas ATM withdrawals compared wih £2.25 on Pockit and fee free currency exchange compared with 4% on Pockit.

Depositing by debit card is free on Pockit but £1 on Soldo. Speed of crediting the account are about equal with deposits by debit card almost instant and deposits by bank transfer free on both cards taking a few hours. But deposit by bank transfer on Friday afternoon and it won't be credited until the next working day, mostly Monday.

Lastly Soldo has the edge with their iOS or Android app which you must have in order to control the account.

Currently I have both but I expect to dump Pockit and stay with Soldo mainly because I like the controls I get with the app.

https://www.soldo.com/en-uk/
    http://www.pockit.com/
    Lloyds Bank Platinum 10.9%
    Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday 22.9%
    The American Express Card
    Natwest Reward
    Rainy day fund - target £3000 - latest total £3050
    Average total credit limit used = 36% (Xmas!)
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 2nd Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    What is the attraction of pre-pay cards that charge a fee?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    In general prepaid cards have very limited attraction, when virtually everyone can now have a basic bank account debit card. But some have low or no charges and can be useful in various ways.

My Pockit card has cost me nothing since the initial 99p fee, and they paid me a £5 bonus after my first top-up of £10. Since then I keep no more than £5 on it and occasionally use it online for such things as opening a Globalgig data SIM account free trial and foreign hotel bookings that I'm not sure I will need, secure in the knowledge that any higher amounts cannot be taken.

Soldo I'd never heard of (thanks Anthorn), I can see it being useful for a child's subsidiary card on foreign school trips etc.

Revolut is totally free within the 'fair usage' limits, extremely useful in many ways and has saved me real money.

Monzo is a prepaid card hoping to become a bank next year, and appears to have no fees.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 2nd Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 2nd Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    • 2nd Oct 16, 10:50 AM
    Monzo is a prepaid card hoping to become a bank next year, and appears to have no fees.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Monzo previously Mondo is in Beta, the Android app doesn't work at all on my phone and they require a top-up of £100. But to be fair they do say that the £100 can be spent immediately the card is received. I would have thought that they would have sorted out the app when it was Mondo. No fees though that I can see. Monzo joins a trio of Fintech so-called challenger banks, Tandem, Atom and Starling which make promises of a full bank account but nothing more than promises. At least Monzo's method of collecting money is different from the others.
    https://community.monzo.com/t/initial-top-up/2053

Personally, I've used Pockit as an alternative to Paypal mainly because Paypal is a pain in the neck when it comes to removing a credit card. I've dumped Paypal and also ebay. But since getting my Soldo card I'm using it more for budgeting and everyday shopping as well as online purchases to £200 per month. Rock solid so far and the card being issued by Paysafe has to be relevant.
    Last edited by Anthorn; 02-10-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Edited link
    Natwest Reward
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 3rd Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    • 3rd Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    • 3rd Oct 16, 8:17 PM
    Which card would be best for spending online in different currencies?
    January 2016 - 22; February - 15; March - 22; April - 18; May - 23; June - 19; July (Holidays) - 8; August - 21; September - 22; October - 18
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 4th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 4th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    • 4th Oct 16, 12:50 AM
    Which card would be best for spending online in different currencies?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Revolut. As soon as you sign up on the app and load some money you can use the virtual MasterCard for 90+ currencies.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 4th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    • 4th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 16, 9:08 PM
    Revolut. As soon as you sign up on the app and load some money you can use the virtual MasterCard for 90+ currencies.
    Thank you!

I have looked for the answers to the following questions but I cannot find them Can anyone answer these questions regarding Revolut?

Do you need an actual card to add the details to Paypal?

Is there an initial fee for the card?

How long is the card valid for?

How much does the card cost to renew when it does expire?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Oct 16, 1:36 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    Do you need an actual card to add the details to Paypal?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Having never done so, I'm not sure. My Revolut card is valid for three years, so I imagine if you order a card now you could enter it's expiry date to PayPal as 10/19. But using Revolut with PayPal (instead of using it directly for payment) you risk complication and PayPal's rates/fees.

There are no fees for the Revolut card or anything else, apart from the 'fair usage' limitations:

https://revolut.com/fairusage

I would guess that Revolut will not charge for a card renewal if has been used regularly, but this is only their second year...
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 5th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    Having never done so, I'm not sure. My Revolut card is valid for three years, so I imagine if you order a card now you could enter it's expiry date to PayPal as 10/19. But using Revolut with PayPal (instead of using it directly for payment) you risk complication and PayPal's rates/fees.

There are no fees for the Revolut card or anything else, apart from the 'fair usage' limitations:

https://revolut.com/fairusage

I would guess that Revolut will not charge for a card renewal if has been used regularly, but this is only their second year...
    The person who this card is for is constantly making small purchases online between £3 and about £10.

The previous card was added to their Paypal account for their convenience. Does this mean that they would now need to enter the card details every time?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Oct 16, 3:06 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    The person who this card is for is constantly making small purchases online between £3 and about £10.

The previous card was added to their Paypal account for their convenience. Does this mean that they would now need to enter the card details every time?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    It's unclear what you're asking and what the main intention is. If the user needs or wants to use PayPal in GBP then Revolut is inappropriate.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 7th Oct 16, 4:12 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    It's unclear what you're asking and what the main intention is. If the user needs or wants to use PayPal in GBP then Revolut is inappropriate.
    The user almost always uses Paypal for convenience. Sometimes the user makes purchases in GBP but a lot of the time they make purchases in AUD, CAD or USD. Which card is best for them?

I thought from what I had read, regarding this card, that this card could be used to make payments in GBP but obviously from your post this is wrong. Could you please tell me why this card can not be used to make purchases in GBP?
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 7th Oct 16, 4:26 PM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Anthorn
    The user almost always uses Paypal for convenience. Sometimes the user makes purchases in GBP but a lot of the time they make purchases in AUD, CAD or USD. Which card is best for them?

I thought from what I had read, regarding this card, that this card could be used to make payments in GBP but obviously from your post this is wrong. Could you please tell me why this card can not be used to make purchases in GBP?
    Originally posted by Jo4
    Money in GBP is loaded onto the Revolut card and from there you buy currency and then from there you use the currencies to transfer or buy choosing each currency you want to use including GBP.

But I'm confused: If you intend to pay in GBP why do you want a card with which you can transfer or pay different currencies? In the circumstance of paying in GBP any UK card whether prepaid or otherwise will do the job.
    Natwest Reward
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 7th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    Money in GBP is loaded onto the Revolut card and from there you buy currency and then from there you use the currencies to transfer or buy choosing each currency you want to use including GBP.

But I'm confused: If you intend to pay in GBP why do you want a card with which you can transfer or pay different currencies? In the circumstance of paying in GBP any UK card whether prepaid or otherwise will do the job.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    I hope this makes sense.

The person who this card is for has no understanding of money. They have credit cards which they maxed out years ago and their significant other is still repaying. As far as the user is concerned when their credit card limit states, for example, £3,000 they think they have £3,000 to spend and do not understand that this is not their money, as they think, but is the actual amount the card provider is willing to lend them. They also do not understand that these amounts need repaid.

Therefore their significant other wants them to have a card where £x can be credited to it for the user to spend. The user spends in the various currencies previously mentioned and the card will be credited in GBP.

Which card is best for this situation?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Oct 16, 3:16 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    eDicky
    Thanks for clarifying more. You ask which is the best prepaid card for purchases in foreign currency - that's Revolut, which can also be used in GBP. But if the user is going to continue using PayPal 'for convenience' I don't recommend linking it with Revolut. I would never dream of doing so and risk complications, the loss of Revolut features and the likelihood that PayPal will do the currency conversion instead of Revolut. A simple prepaid GBP card such as Pockit would be better for this.

But if the user could manage to pay directly with a card (which for me at least is more straightforward than using PayPal), Revolut is the best prepaid for foreign purchases. Soldo may be just as good. However, the user's lack of financial comprehension may be an obstacle to (or on the other hand perhaps be improved by?) using such a versatile money tool. It would cost nothing to try, financially at least...
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 8th Oct 16, 6:34 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    Thanks for clarifying more. You ask which is the best prepaid card for purchases in foreign currency - that's Revolut, which can also be used in GBP. But if the user is going to continue using PayPal 'for convenience' I don't recommend linking it with Revolut. I would never dream of doing so and risk complications, the loss of Revolut features and the likelihood that PayPal will do the currency conversion instead of Revolut. A simple prepaid GBP card such as Pockit would be better for this.

But if the user could manage to pay directly with a card (which for me at least is more straightforward than using PayPal), Revolut is the best prepaid for foreign purchases. Soldo may be just as good. However, the user's lack of financial comprehension may be an obstacle to (or on the other hand perhaps be improved by?) using such a versatile money tool. It would cost nothing to try, financially at least...
    Revolut appears to be the best card for them. I need to get them a physical card and tell them to enter the card details online when they are making a purchase instead of using Paypal.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 9th Oct 16, 12:01 AM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    I will try to get the application made on Monday or Tuesday.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    I am trying to get this sorted now, fingers crossed I get it sorted tonight.
    • Jo4
    • By Jo4 11th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    Jo4
    The person this is for has an iPhone 4 and the ap needs iOS 8 or later. Their iPhone has iOS 7.1.2 and states "Your software is up to date."

What can I do now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter