Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaelmystery
    • By michaelmystery 30th Sep 16, 8:40 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    michaelmystery
    What job experience needed for entry level retail..?
    • 30th Sep 16, 8:40 PM
    What job experience needed for entry level retail..? 30th Sep 16 at 8:40 PM
    What kind of job experience do I need for entry level retail..? Stuff like working minimum wage at Tesco, Sainsburys, ASDA, etc..?

What kind of stuff do they look for? What kind of previous job titles should I have..?

Admin..? Data entry..? Something else entirely..? I just don't know.

Those who have had jobs at places like this.. what kind of job experience does it take to get the job..?

I'm talking jobs a bit like this:

TESCO
    Customer Assistant - Personal Shopper - Part Time - Croydon
    Hours: 15
    Salary: Competitive
    Main Responsibilities
    The Customer is at the heart of everything we do.
    It’s your responsibility to ensure:
    Customers get the finest shopping journey.
    Customers are always able to get the products they need.
    Customers are excited by our promotions and find our aisles welcoming.
    Customers have a slick and speedy checkout experience.
    Customers leave our store feeling valued and satisfied.
    Whether you are looking for flexibility to suit your lifestyle or the opportunity to progress your career, this can be the role for you.
    LIDL
    Customer Assistant - Full-time - West Wickham (NEW STORE)
    For our Customer Assistants, quality is not just a passion, it’s a way of life! Putting the same care and attention into the little tasks as they do with big ones, our Store team know how important their hard work is to the success and growth of our business.
    Working as part of a diverse and dedicated team, you will love the buzz and energy of a fast-paced retail environment. You thrive on a challenge so you will love the fact that there is never a dull moment in store and always tasks to be done.
    Above all else, our Customer Assistants are the face of our business, providing great service to our loyal customers. If you have a natural flair for providing outstanding customer service and are looking to become part of strong team with varied shifts, this could be the perfect opportunity for you!
    KFC
    Team Member - Full Time
    Number of Positions: 10
    Contract Type: Full Time
    Salary: £4.00 - £7.20
    Main Responsibilities
    To provide each customer with 5* customer service both as Cashier and Lobby Host (we call it Customer Mania)
    Cooks and serves fries and serves and packs all products to KFC brand standards
    Use the till and comply with the cash handling policy and security measure of the management.
    Prepares the packing items and keeps the packing area and its equipment clean and tidy to the standard required.
    Ensures the correct use of the holding cabinet in respect of temperature, water content and holding times.
    Works closely with other staff to develop a team spirit.
    Undertakes Lobby Host duties to keep the customer service dining area and front counter clean and tidy.
    To comply with all health and safety regulations to ensure the safety of themselves, the team and our customers
    Anything you can find on a high street... Minimum wage style jobs... What do I need in my work history to get one of these?

Thanks
Page 1
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 30th Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 12,622 Posts
    • 10,726 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    They like to see things like
    Customer service
    Cash handling
    Tidiness
    Working in a team
    Industriousness
    Interest in the shop/sector
    Interest in progression/looking at it as a career long term
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    • 13,654 Posts
    • 33,112 Thanks
    elsien
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:10 PM
    Customer Mania? Jeez, I'd be running for the hills. Just can't manage to fake that level of enthusiasm.

ETA - it's not about previous job titles it's about transferable skills. So rather than the job description, you need to look at the person specification which more clearly identifies the particular attributes they are looking for.
    Last edited by elsien; 30-09-2016 at 9:13 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 30th Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 1,775 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    I would have thought these were entry level jobs. If you can show up on time, do the job satisfactorily and be pleasant to customers, read and write, have basic numeracy and are legally entitled to work in this country, I doubt they can really demand much more. What they want is reliability and customer focus.

If you have never worked before, have you done voluntary work from which you could obtain a reference? Would school/college not give you a reference? HTH.
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 30th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    These sorts of jobs you don't need experience for. It might help, but plenty of students do them part time and they don't have previous job experience - I started in one at 15 so without GCSE English/Maths even. You need to convince them you'll turn up, be polite to customers, can read/write/add up and generally do what you're told.
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Polarbeary
    • By Polarbeary 30th Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Polarbeary
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:18 PM
    Customer Mania? Jeez, I'd be running for the hills. Just can't manage to fake that level of enthusiasm.

ETA - it's not about previous job titles it's about transferable skills. So rather than the job description, you need to look at the person specification which more clearly identifies the particular attributes they are looking for.
    Originally posted by elsien
    When one goes into KFC it isn't like you get amazing service anyway is it? In fast food service it's basic politeness and efficiency.
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 1st Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    • 1st Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 1st Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    Jobs in retail are ultra competitive (basically because they are unskilled), and you will be going up against people who have years of working on a shop floor. Transferable skills will only take you so far. What experience do you have of dealing with customers face-to-face? I would recommend that you get some volunatry experience at your local charity shop or museum etc. to improve your chances.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 1st Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 3,563 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 1st Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 1st Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    Last time I was in a KFC the assistant could barely speak properly and couldn't make eye contact.

At least I know it's a mania now.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 1st Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 13,654 Posts
    • 33,112 Thanks
    elsien
    • 1st Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 1st Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    Customer mania and team spirit all on minimum wage. Not asking much, are they.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 2nd Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 11,009 Posts
    • 22,907 Thanks
    andygb
    Last time I was in a KFC the assistant could barely speak properly and couldn't make eye contact.

At least I know it's a mania now.
    Originally posted by robatwork

That sounds like "zombie mania" very common in shops in our area
    • Alcione D
    • By Alcione D 12th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alcione D
    1.If you want to gain experience in retail, volunteer for a charity shop.
    2.If you know anyone who has worked in retail or currently works in retail, ask them to recommend you.
    3.If you want to work for somewhere like KFC or Pizza Hut, visit the branch in person. That's how I landed my previous Pizza Hut job.
    Founder of UK job board website pinpoint-careers.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter @pinpointcareers

'...there are no shortcuts to long-term success'
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 4,744 Thanks
    spadoosh
    For my interview at a retail job i turned up in my hoody and jeans because they had called me at college asking if i could come in there and then to do the interview. I appologised for the appearance but the interviewer laughed it off.

I then proceeded to detail my work history (labouring). We then moved on to talk about caterham 7 that had just pulled up in the car park. He then offered me the job. The same interviewer interviewd later on after i started working. When there was a recruitment drive and he did the interviews there was a surge in very attractive female employees. He once took a chinese lady on. After 2 hours on the shop floor another manager had to step in, her english language skills just were non existent, ive often thought i could speak better chinese than she could english, i can say next vegetable please, and happy new year in cantonese.

Not much need in the way of qualifications and i doubt your v will be omitted because you dont have retail experience. Youll do much better with a proactive attitude and quite a big smile. Mention things like enjoying organisation and clear direction and you should be on to a winner. If your very energetic (a fart in a bottle my nan would say) try and show some of that. If they think you can move quickly and accurately (processing orders, putting stock out effectively, tills) it will help.
    Don't be angry!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 5,495 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Some retailers - not mentioning names here seem to employ the under 25s as they can pay them less.

I remember going to an interview programme with a retailer when I was 26 or 27. There were about 14 of us, 10 were under 25 - we had to do a brief introduction about us.

About 2-3 weeks later, I went into the place as a customer and saw 8 out the 10 under 25s in uniform. I do wonder how many of them were still working for them 6 months later.

These retailers that seem to target under 25s is not a good move as they tend to have a higher turnover and recruit more. You must have seen it yourselves, under 25s getting a job, getting trained and then a few months later, they have left.

In my workplace, excluding the ones that have retired. About 1 in 4 people that have left the employer in past 4 years, were over 25 years old.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

6,044Users online

Martin's Twitter