Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shambler
    • By Shambler 30th Sep 16, 6:05 AM
    • 740Posts
    • 538Thanks
    Shambler
    Claim for delayed train journey
    • 30th Sep 16, 6:05 AM
    Claim for delayed train journey 30th Sep 16 at 6:05 AM
    Hi all,

went to London a couple of weeks ago and because of engineering works the return journey took over an hour longer than expected.

The engineering works wasn't announced when I bought the tickets 2 weeks previous so I filed a claim when I got home.

The claim was turned down, abellio said the journey was not delayed by more than 30 mins.

Going to London again this weekend and it clearly shows journeys on Sunday taking 1:00-1:30 longer than those on Saturday.

Was my claim eligible or not?
Page 1
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 30th Sep 16, 7:47 AM
    • 7,139 Posts
    • 10,664 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 30th Sep 16, 7:47 AM
    • 30th Sep 16, 7:47 AM
    would try again i was refused refund ips to Edinburgh as my train was cancelled and they tried to tell me no claim as my train was not late! lol! true as it never ran but i was 3 hrs late getting there so replied and got it.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 30th Sep 16, 7:58 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 30th Sep 16, 7:58 AM
    • 30th Sep 16, 7:58 AM
    I imagine the issue turns on whether these were planned engineering works or not, since you can't claim for delays caused by planned engineering work.

It could be the rail company is just assuming that any weekend engineering work was planned, but if you're convinced it wasn't then go back to them and explain your point of view.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 30th Sep 16, 10:57 AM
    • 6,637 Posts
    • 3,593 Thanks
    martindow
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:57 AM
    • 30th Sep 16, 10:57 AM
    Did you specify or were you tied to specific trains when you booked? If so the confirmation email may show the departure and arrival times. If the train was later than this I would have thought you would have grounds for a claim even if the timings shown were an error by Abellio.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 30th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 30th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    • 30th Sep 16, 11:22 AM
    You can check historical running times here:
    http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/
    • Shambler
    • By Shambler 30th Sep 16, 1:45 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    Shambler
    • 30th Sep 16, 1:45 PM
    • 30th Sep 16, 1:45 PM
    Thanks all, it was planned engineering works and an open return ticket so that's why I wasn't shown a delay warning as they didn't know when I would be travelling back.

Anyway, going down again this weekend and the planned works are continuing so should get into London in normal time but an extra hour coming back.
    • yorkie2
    • By yorkie2 1st Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    yorkie2
    • 1st Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 1st Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    Thanks all, it was planned engineering works and an open return ticket so that's why I wasn't shown a delay warning as they didn't know when I would be travelling back.
    Originally posted by Shambler
    In that case, based on what you've said here, it sounds to me like you are not eligible for any compensation.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 18th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 4,862 Posts
    • 6,373 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 18th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    it sounds as though you are not entitled to compansation - the extra time is basically a timetabling change due to planned enginering works, not a delay.
    • BigBazza38
    • By BigBazza38 23rd Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigBazza38
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 23rd Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    For reference, compensation (and daily performance figures) is based on the timetable loaded into rail industry systems as of 2200 the day before, and revised timetables are supposed to be published no later than four weeks before they're due to take effect. (And need to be proposed to Network Rail fourteen weeks before to meet planning and publication deadlines).

Greater Anglia may not have been the most reliable operator on the network, but they always put details of planned engineering work out on time, in my experience, both in the form of posters at affected stations, on the website, and on Twitter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,319Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter