Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 29th Sep 16, 2:04 PM
    • 7,314Posts
    • 29,328Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    When did Dinner plates become so big?!
    • 29th Sep 16, 2:04 PM
    When did Dinner plates become so big?! 29th Sep 16 at 2:04 PM
    I bought a new set of Dinner plates, for the first time in years and had to take them back, as the plates were HUGE!

So i got a different set, and they are just as big! In fact, so were the majority of ones i looked at.

Literally they are about double the size of what we need. When did plates get so big? No wonder there is an obesity epidemic, if people are actually filling a plate that size with food.

So I've gone back to using my older (smaller!) set.

When did they get so big, and why??

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Jessica; 11-10-2016 at 2:22 PM.
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt (22/11/16) £7037.31
    Estimated DFD Jan 2018
Page 4
    • prosaver
    • By prosaver 13th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 5,025 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    prosaver
    I bought smaller plates for my son too loose weight, I use them too ..
    I noticed they have small plates in those all you can eat buffets restaurants.
    Referendum,Lisbon Treaty. shamelessly broken by labour and we never had the chance to vote on probably the most important change in Britain’s sovereignty in hundreds of years. Then Brown slunk off to sign the Treaty alone, away from the cameras and other European leaders, as if embarrassed by this betrayal of the people he’s paid to represent.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Oct 16, 3:34 PM
    • 8,875 Posts
    • 96,657 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Is there nobody here with a bloody good appetite? You all seem to be saying you hardly eat anything, how do you survive?!
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Sadly, not me; a typical dinner for me would be one Qu0rn fillet, one small potato and one tablespoonful of carrots (just as an example, to give an idea of the amount). Anymore at a sitting and I simply can't eat it all. We do usually have some sort of fruit dessert, but at least an hour after the main course. It makes dining out purgatory.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Mayflower10cat
    • By Mayflower10cat 13th Oct 16, 6:39 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    Mayflower10cat
    This'll make you smile wryly. Years ago working in Customer Service for a large Hotel & Leisure PLC a man rang to complain about the steak meal he'd eaten recently. After going through all the usual polite enquiries as to what was wrong - turned out he was able to eat everything on the plate. And it was very tasty. This was the largest steak meal on the menu with double chips and he believed he shouldn't have been able to eat it all. He felt cheated as he hadn't had to leave some on his plate...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,433Posts Today

7,831Users online

Martin's Twitter